Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 16,379 times

Advertisements

The winters are too long and cold and the ecomony stinks in the Adirondack Mountains in Upstate NY. No future for my kids up here and I miss the seashore . I hear the Cape Charles area is booming. Any thoughts of my relocating to this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 16,351 times
Default Cape Charles

Rosalia
I have a building lot in Northampton County, one half acre, with a deeded boat dock, on Kings Creek, about one quarter to one half mile down the main road from the city limit sign for Cape Charles. (in Kings Creek Landing) I was going to build there but have decided to move closer to my grandchildren. The address will be Plum Tree Road. Most of the similar lots in there are about 160,000 to 200,000. Mine is a perfect site. If you want some info on it give me a buzz. They have build two state of the art golf courses there. One is Arnold Palmer, the other is Jack Nicklaus. My e-mail is grandpasams@juno.com or phone me 540-556-5103.
Sam

Old 03-05-2007, 06:34 PM

77 posts, read 414,134 times
If you have children and you like all the amenties that a city may give you then I would not recommend the Eastern Shore. Yes Cape Charles is building up, but not like you may think. Most of the homes being built are vacation homes, or investors buy them for out of town summer vacation folks who will like those golf courses. Most of the Eastern Shore is farmland, being worked on by migrant workers or if you have a boat you can become one of the fisherman......thats about it. Grocery stores are limited in selection, I think they have a movie theater. If you are an Artist that sells his/her work across the country then you may do okay. Seriously though.....check out first, it's not what you think unless you can buy one of those new homes for 600,000. Look at the previous poster.... a LOT for 200,000 in Cape Charles. Good luck.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 16,054 times
Default relocating to eastern shore

Would like to fine property south of Cape Charles that is high and dry if possible, say, between Charles and the bay/tunnel bridge. Been told fishing is better at the bridge and at the same time one can fish the barrier islands. Trying to stay away from HOA fees and either trail or have a dock.
Do I have it right? Fishing is best at the bridge and why I wanted to be there as opposed to the northern end. Any opinions on the best place to be or where to look. Tks. Roger.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 15,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia1 View Post
If you have children and you like all the amenties that a city may give you then I would not recommend the Eastern Shore. Yes Cape Charles is building up, but not like you may think. Most of the homes being built are vacation homes, or investors buy them for out of town summer vacation folks who will like those golf courses. Most of the Eastern Shore is farmland, being worked on by migrant workers or if you have a boat you can become one of the fisherman......thats about it. Grocery stores are limited in selection, I think they have a movie theater. If you are an Artist that sells his/her work across the country then you may do okay. Seriously though.....check out first, it's not what you think unless you can buy one of those new homes for 600,000. Look at the previous poster.... a LOT for 200,000 in Cape Charles. Good luck.
This is a great place to raise your children however! Public schools are not great, but Broadwater Academy in Exmore, Pre - K thru 12, is a fine school!

Old 01-24-2008, 04:04 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
Smile We looked up there, but decided against it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalia View Post
The winters are too long and cold and the ecomony stinks in the Adirondack Mountains in Upstate NY. No future for my kids up here and I miss the seashore . I hear the Cape Charles area is booming. Any thoughts of my relocating to this area?
First the absolute best way to check out an area is to visit it.

The eastern shore of Virginia is absolutely gorgeous, but it had far more farmland and far fewer services than we imagined.

We looked at a few homes up by Assateague and then started looking south.

It is almost impossible to find a "booming" coastal area which is a nice mix of jobs and a reasonable place to live.

You always have to do trade offs. We did find a wonderful place to live.

Our search south went through Va. Beach (too much city), Nags Head, Hatteras, Ocracoke, Beaufort, South Port, and Oak Island

We didn't seriously look in Wilmington because it was too much city for us.

Our search lasted about three years. We wanted an area with year round residents and services. We also wanted to settle where tnew comers were welcomed. The other key was to be very close to the water without being in an over developed spot. We are very happy where we are.

We ended up in western Carteret County between Morehead City and Swansboro. We are under ten minutes from the the beaches. The people are great.

It's a great area to live, you just have to work at finding a job (broken link).

I have written lots about our "Coastal NC Paradise" which you can find on the web.

Here is a sunset and a beach picture for it.

Emerald Isle Sunset

Old 05-02-2008, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 17,564 times
Onancock's a great Eastern Shore historic town with antique shops, restaurants, movie theatre, live drama threatre, bakery, quaint homes, b&Bs, historic homes, churches and all, its own wharf, close to route 13 with chain stores, fast food and the absolutely best chinese food, the dragon place?, with its great buffet for about $8. Kids do go to Broadwater Academy. The girl next door did. She had her own real go-kart, too. Her father is an artist and sells his things all over. The mom works at the bank. Of course there is not the same opportunity for jobs as a more populated area if you're just looking to work for someone or some company, and not start your own service business. My parents bought a house there when my dad retired. His friend had moved there first, and he followed. They had a great gang of friends, and always met at Hardy's after church, and also at the Moose Club. We are selling the house now. If anyone is interested, let me know. It's right on the main street, Market St., leading to town a couple of blocks and the wharf. Mom had to have this great house. She and Dad had already bought one not long before, but it was not grand like this one. She wanted everyone to come, and to have plenty of room. So she bought another, and rented the other. Dad kept busy with his gardening and lawn work. Loved to burn his tree branches, trimmings, etc. I wish I had the house up here in NY. It would go for 1.5 million give or take. Real quality craftsmanship brick Georgian Colonial. This is the spacious house my mom should have had when we were growing up. There were seven children. We had many great times and years with all our family, grandkids, cousins, nieces, in-laws and even friends with their kids going down to visit them, mostly in summer. The more the merrier. Taking a break, relaxing or doing things. We kayaked right off the wharf into the bay, went to Chincoteague/Assateague Island for the wild horses, carnival, lighthouse and beach,the Country Club with its pool by the bay on the east side, the side trip by boat to Tangier Island was great fun and swimming at the end of the island, fishing and bathing at the pier/beach area (can't remember the name) before the bay/bridge/tunnel to VA Beach, the Moose Club. We would take day trips to Ocean City, Frontierstown, Williamsburg and the big amusement part there, too. The kids would rollerskate and ride bikes around and around the house on the circular driveway(they thought they taught Grandma how to skate), run in the field, take walks through the neighborhood all the way back to the cornfields. Mom would follow the car out and cry when we left. We had a good thing going. Now they're gone. The house is for sale. Create your own good times there now! The house totally described on owners.com under Onancock, VA if anyone's interested. Price is negotiable.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 21,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger connell View Post
Would like to fine property south of Cape Charles that is high and dry if possible, say, between Charles and the bay/tunnel bridge. Been told fishing is better at the bridge and at the same time one can fish the barrier islands. Trying to stay away from HOA fees and either trail or have a dock.
Do I have it right? Fishing is best at the bridge and why I wanted to be there as opposed to the northern end. Any opinions on the best place to be or where to look. Tks. Roger.
Roger-
Know you posted awhile ago but are you still looking on the shore? We are 11 miles from the bay/bridge tunnel, east of Cape Charles on one of the highest spots in the county. Believe we sit at 32 feet. The police office is the highest and I believe it's at 35. We have one of the few septic systems in the area without having to have all the alarms attached to it for when it floods, which alot of properties do here. And not just the ones NEAR the water!!
LW

Old 05-22-2008, 03:01 PM

100 posts, read 335,195 times
Default hate this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene K View Post
This is a great place to raise your children however! Public schools are not great, but Broadwater Academy in Exmore, Pre - K thru 12, is a fine school!
I have lived here all my life from the southern end and Even north to exmore. and let me tell you this is a place to retire not to raise children, no employment oportunites at ALL!! My husband works with my father and uncle in the dying industry of the waterman. I have two children, schools are not that bad but due to the fact that the county has negleted the schools for so long it has started to catch up with them, children are relocating to other areas taking $$ out of the system. Plus without any sort of industry in this county the only other $$ maker is property taxes.....and look where those went THRU the roof, well of course many long time locals cant afford it. others well they can ....you got to be kidding me that much for a piece of land ...water or no water that is just crazy!!

see I dont wanna come off smug but cause of folks that paid those crazy prices for houses and land it has caused a huge backlash for the permenant residents of northampton and accomack county..... values sky rocket there for the locals can no longer afford to keep their roots here. for example a 5 acre lot my husband and I looked at 4 years or so ago...near oyster (capecharles) on the seaside no water view but if you went a little further down the dead end road you could just barely see....was going for $83K I thought yeah ok their nuts.....when about 2 years before that land was going for about 7-10k a acre!! well guess how much 2 years later that lot is going for $215k !!!

and totally forgot to mention ...what is there to do here with kids?? no movie theater, bowling alley, skating rink, only thing to do is force them into sports or pay a $17 toll and drive a hour or more. There are only 3 grocery stores in the entire county LOL once apon a time there was a handful of mom and pop stores right down the street.

golf course and marina is a joke they lay off a ton of people every year and are losing memebers left and right (brother inlaw was a member and he had to fight for months to resign), properties are up for sale EVERYWHERE but Dickie Foster wont let them put for sale signs out cause afraid of scaring people away.

we have looked at leaving here for a few years now and hope this will be the year to do it. sure its a nice place to visit but not to live.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:09 PM

100 posts, read 335,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternshorehouseforsale View Post
Roger-
Know you posted awhile ago but are you still looking on the shore? We are 11 miles from the bay/bridge tunnel, east of Cape Charles on one of the highest spots in the county. Believe we sit at 32 feet. The police office is the highest and I believe it's at 35. We have one of the few septic systems in the area without having to have all the alarms attached to it for when it floods, which alot of properties do here. And not just the ones NEAR the water!!
LW

and unless you are looking to move into cape charles (seen roads flooded), oyster, willis wharf, or other area like that you dont have to worry about flooding..... lived in oyster and during hurricane isabel we had over 2 ft of water in the house thank god we rented..... (500 a month) then after they fixed the floors and kitchen they started asking (900 a month) has sat empty til this day. oh yeah nor easters too depending when high tide is you'll get flooding on a few roads. but the majority of us dont have to worry about flooding, heck they get more of that in the city!! like norfolk and va beach from a hard rain LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia