Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 04:38 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,440,357 times

Advertisements

Is it me or does there seem to be a relatively very small amount of beaches along the Chesapeake Bay shores in mainland VA if not the Eastern Shore or MD too?

I certainly see very few public beaches and my experience on the shoreline, limited as it maybe relative to others, seems to have it where there really isn't a big endless stretch of beaches to swim.

Is this the reality, and if so, why?

In CT, for example, there are tons of beaches, both public and private, on the Long Island Sound which to me, a sound/bay is more or less the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 07:19 PM

830 posts, read 1,020,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Is it me or does there seem to be a relatively very small amount of beaches along the Chesapeake Bay shores in mainland VA if not the Eastern Shore or MD too?

I certainly see very few public beaches and my experience on the shoreline, limited as it maybe relative to others, seems to have it where there really isn't a big endless stretch of beaches to swim.

Is this the reality, and if so, why?

In CT, for example, there are tons of beaches, both public and private, on the Long Island Sound which to me, a sound/bay is more or less the same.
Not sure I catch your meaning…Maybe Virginia is low key in the sense that it doesn’t do a whole lot to hype its beaches, but there are definitely plenty of them around the bay, not to mention the Outer Banks in NC. Many are relatively quiet, not flashy and simply cater to locals. And tbh, the Virginia Beach Oceanfront is probably my least favorite of them all…

Here is a map of popular VA Beaches:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...6.85437805&z=8

This site has a map to some of the public beaches that allow swimming and wading: https://www.vims.edu/research/depart...ches/index.php

Here is a short list of some of the more popular VA beaches with street views.

Chic’s Beach, Chesapeake City
Yorktown Beach, York County
Sandbridge, Virginia Beach City
Virginia Beach Oceanfront, Virginia Beach City
Bethel Beach, Matthews County
Buckroe Beach, Hampton City
Ocean View Beach, Norfolk City
Willoughby Beach, Norfolk City
Cape Henry/First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach City
Croatan Beach, Virginia Beach City
False Cape State Park, Virginia Beach City
Cape Charles Beach, Northampton County/Eastern Shore
Colonial Beach, Westmoreland County
Assateague Island National Seashore, Chincoteague

Last edited by aquest1; 08-20-2021 at 07:30 PM..

Old 08-20-2021, 08:55 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,896,215 times
Virginia has a plethora of all types a diversity of beaches. Im in Norfolk right now and the choices are endless. DC Metro, Maryland DC burbs Northern Virginia burbs, have nothing very attractive. There are a few choices with 90mins of DC proper (on a low traffic day) but nothing measures up to Tidewater in VA. Phenomenal.

Old 08-23-2021, 04:50 PM

I am talking about beaches to swim at on the Chesapeake Bay (not the rivers) in either the Northern Neck, Middle, or Virginia Peninsula.
Seems there are very very few beaches to swim at:

a. Why is this the case? Is there a geologic reason?
b. Any recommendations?

Old 08-24-2021, 03:02 AM

830 posts, read 1,020,645 times
Quote:
I am talking about beaches to swim at on the Chesapeake Bay (not the rivers) in either the Northern Neck, Middle, or Virginia Peninsula.
Seems there are very very few beaches to swim at:

a. Why is this the case? Is there a geologic reason?
b. Any recommendations?
Have you skipped my post entirely? Most listed are on the Bay. Setting aside the Tidewater beaches, which don’t appear to be of interest to you, only Yorktown Beach and Colonial Beach would essentially be on rivers, the York and Potomac respectively. If you’re not interested in the Tidewater area, I’d say, take a look at the map and see which beaches are of interest to you.

Also this: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...6.85437805&z=8

But there are many more smaller public beaches. Keep in mind, the majority of the areas directly fronting the Chesapeake on the NN and Middle Peninsulas are rural and many are under conservation easements or state parks. So, the beaches in those communities outside the Tidewater region are going to be quieter and not as popular. In those areas, River culture really supersedes everything else and the vast majority of people are spending time in the popular boating communities along them, which are definitely worth checking out. Not really to your question, but I would say a big chunk of Virginia’s Chesapeake Bay culture is actually found along the Rappahannock and Potomac.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:25 PM

No I saw your post.
Based on your list, and links:

1) The only beaches of interest (on the Chesapeake north of the James River) would be:
-Bethel, Haven, Grandview, Festival, Buckroe BUT
.......I read Bethel/Haven/Grandview are NOT swimming beaches...is that true?
-Buckroe is a bit far coming from NOVA.

2) Odd, the one beach I have gone to (Hughlett Preserve in Kilmarnock) is NOT on your list or links...what else I wonder is missing?

3) Why does river culture supersedes everything else and a big chunk of Virginia’s Chesapeake Bay culture is actually found along the Rappahannock and Potomac?

Old 08-24-2021, 11:45 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,385,829 times
Haven and Grandview allow swimming. Bethel does not.

Buckroe is slightly closer to NoVA than Grandview.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:17 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,896,215 times
Quote:

3) Why does river culture supersedes everything else and a big chunk of Virginia’s Chesapeake Bay culture is actually found along the Rappahannock and Potomac?
Because this is the Commonwealth of Virginia and we have our native culture, mountains to beaches; families that have been here since getting land from Lord Fairfax to recent immigrants from the Middle East to Asia. We have over 7000 miles of shoreline; waterfalls, rivers, lagoons, bay and ocean beaches frequented by trout, perch, bass, pelicans, whales and dolphins. These are things that make VA Virginia. Thats why we like it

Why is everyone in your corrupt state a mafia boss that makes cakes on the food network for drunk tan Shore kids and has nasty ugly accents? Bc thats what your state's culture. With its paltry 130 miles of shoreline, thats was covered in used condoms and heroin needles for decades

Old 08-25-2021, 02:19 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,385,829 times
Quote:
2) Odd, the one beach I have gone to (Hughlett Preserve in Kilmarnock) is NOT on your list or links...what else I wonder is missing?
Not sure if this has been shared on here before, but this is a pretty comprehensive spreadsheet of water access in the Chesapeake Bay Region. Sortable based on swimming allowed, state, body of water, etc. Might be slightly outdated but most of the info is still pretty good.

https://www.chesapeakebay.net/channe...4-19-2017.xlsx

Old 08-27-2021, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Because this is the Commonwealth of Virginia and we have our native culture, mountains to beaches; families that have been here since getting land from Lord Fairfax to recent immigrants from the Middle East to Asia. We have over 7000 miles of shoreline; waterfalls, rivers, lagoons, bay and ocean beaches frequented by trout, perch, bass, pelicans, whales and dolphins. These are things that make VA Virginia. Thats why we like it

Why is everyone in your corrupt state a mafia boss that makes cakes on the food network for drunk tan Shore kids and has nasty ugly accents? Bc thats what your state's culture. With its paltry 130 miles of shoreline, thats was covered in used condoms and heroin needles for decades
Umm what are you talking about?
-130 miles of shoreline...what state do you think I am from?
-Mafia bosses?

I'm merely wondering why rivers would be more of an attraction than a bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia