Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:27 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,658,207 times

Advertisements

I guess you never see the west side and I never see the east side. That would be accurate for those views of the city.
Morganna, drive down my street--Peakland Place and it is a different world. As many dems as republicans and nobody goes to Thomas Road. Maybe you should move over to Linden or one of the other many nice streets in the 24503. They don't bite and some are lawyers. You do have to network.

If you want to get a good picture of the city go to this website where you can type in the three zip codes--24501, 24502 and 24503. The 24503 has incomes well above the national average, the 24502 is right at the average which is a good income for L, and the 24501 is clearly the slum area with half the average income. The maps show the area which are pretty close to my descriptions. It also shows the numbers of dems and reps--not all one sided as claimed here. Lots of good info.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Here are the 24503 demos compared to the US averages--it has lots more including religion -just over half go to church and only 13% Baptist in the 24503

ESTIMATED HOUSEHOLDS BY HOUSEHOLD INCOME
LYN US
Income Less Than 15K 13.18% 13.64%
Income between 15K and 25K 10.76% 11.21%
Income between 25K and 35K 10.43% 11.46%
Income between 35K and 50K 13.87% 15.84%
Income between 50K and 75K 18.48% 19.28%
Income between 75K and 100K 12.11% 11.53%
Income between 100K and 150K 11.47% 10.70%
Income between 150K and 250K 6.29% 4.43%
Income between 250K and 500K 1.92% 1.31%
Income greater than 500K 1.49% 0.61%
POPULATION BY OCCUPATION
Management, Business, and Financial Operations 18.05% 13.61%
Professional and Related Occupations 31.39% 20.24%
Service 11.99% 14.75%
Sales and Office 24.38% 26.74%
Farming, Fishing, and Forestry 0.40% 0.74%
Construction, Extraction, and Maintenance 4.84% 9.48%
Production, Transportation, and Material Moving 8.95% 14.44%

Last edited by Yac; 06-10-2008 at 04:27 AM..

Old 05-12-2008, 09:40 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,523 times
Get a life, Jonas! I've been reading your ridiculous posts for the last two months and you spar with badger about as well as I would have sparred with Ali! Every time you spew some wacky generalization, badger seems to fire back with documented facts that basically make you look foolish. If you can't make it here, get off your rear-end and go somewhere that is more generous with their aid to the poor and indigent. I live very comfortably in the Burg, as do most of the people I know. Have you ever thought about looking around, seeing needs, and starting a business to meet those needs? Don't bother with the excuse that you aren't in the good old boy network; few of the business owners I know are from Lynchburg and it doesn't seem to hurt them! And regarding how poor the city is- hop in your car and visit any city in Virginia. Even Charlottesville, viewed by many as the elite city outside of the "Golden Crescent," has some very run-down areas.
People who are really serious about relocating have many more research options than a blog; thankfully, few would ever be strongly influenced by the baseless comments of a sad individual who is stuck in a rut of his own making!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:54 PM

By the way, badger- 24501 includes large areas around Peaksview Park and along Lakeside Dr., not to mention my office! None of these areas would be considered slums! I know you are well traveled, as am I; I've seen slums (E. St. Louis, SE DC, parts of Philly, etc.) and Lynchburg has nothing like the slums I've seen!

Old 05-12-2008, 10:22 PM

76 posts, read 211,057 times
Thanks for the information.

I understand that many parts of Virginia are very conservative. Most of my views that are not strictly conservative Christian and/or republican I keep to myself. I DO believe in God, and have no problem with most people regardless of whatever their views are. I won't, though, just blindly agree with people that I really don't agree with...it's easier for me to be quiet than to try to argue with others and just end up getting upset over things that I can't change, anyway.

Yes, I have been to Lynchburg, but it was a while ago. However, from the research that I've done I think I'll really like it overall. Since I come from a small Southern town, it shouldn't be too much of a shock. As long as I can live and let live, I guess I'll be just fine anywhere...as long as people will give me the same courtesy.

Thanks again for offering your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post

I would not say that I loathe Lynchburg. My problem is when this place is portrayed as something other then a super conservative southern town, because I have experienced very little that says anything otherwise. This place has also more or less ruined my career, I have found I have NOTHING in common with the people here (= no friends) and I have found very little to do except going to the movies and stuff like that.

Guns and god goes a long way in Lynchburg…
After living in this area for 5 years I know about 15 Democrats (I stopped at the “Kerry/ Edwards” campaign office just to see WHO was there in 2004….and I saw about 7 Democrats). Most Lynchburg folks I have met thinks energy healing and eastern medicine is Liberal stuff and un-American. The kind of “issues” that are created to distract Americans from the lord, so they loose faith and become weak spiritually and physically. This in turn results in slack morals that lead to immortality such as unmarried people living together, homosexuality and a breakdown of everything the American family stands for. I personally do not really give much for that kind of “logic”….
But then it also has to do with how much you talk about these issues.
Living in Lynchburg has taught me to be quiet and just nod and agree with people.

I would not say that I loathe Lynchburg. My problem is when this place is portrayed as something other then a super conservative southern town, because I have experienced very little that says anything otherwise. This place has also more or less ruined my career, I have found I have NOTHING in common with the people here (= no friends) and I have found very little to do except going to the movies and stuff like that.

When I moved to this area it was IMPOSSIBLE to get a fast internet connection. I finally got it last year. I should mention that I live out side the city limits. I have found that people are very nosy and too curious for my taste. Have you been here by the way? I would recommend a visit.
Being born above the arctic-circle I can see how the excessive heat and humidity in Florida could get to you after a while. We do get some snow every once in a while but mostly it melts the same day.
I am married and have too kids but Lynchburg is too quiet for me. I am far from a “party dude” and pick up the kids from school most of the time, help them with their home work 9 out of 10 times etc, etc....but Lynchburg is just too dull.
…but, who am I to tell you what you might think of Lynchburg. You might love it??

Old 05-13-2008, 05:31 AM

506 posts, read 1,402,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Get a life, Jonas! I've been reading your ridiculous posts for the last two months and you spar with badger about as well as I would have sparred with Ali! Every time you spew some wacky generalization, badger seems to fire back with documented facts that basically make you look foolish. If you can't make it here, get off your rear-end and go somewhere that is more generous with their aid to the poor and indigent. I live very comfortably in the Burg, as do most of the people I know. Have you ever thought about looking around, seeing needs, and starting a business to meet those needs? Don't bother with the excuse that you aren't in the good old boy network; few of the business owners I know are from Lynchburg and it doesn't seem to hurt them! And regarding how poor the city is- hop in your car and visit any city in Virginia. Even Charlottesville, viewed by many as the elite city outside of the "Golden Crescent," has some very run-down areas.
People who are really serious about relocating have many more research options than a blog; thankfully, few would ever be strongly influenced by the baseless comments of a sad individual who is stuck in a rut of his own making!
Of my own making…yeah..It is really like I wanted to move to Lynchburg.

You mention aid.
When I moved here in 2001 the first thing I did was to start looking for a job. I NEVER expect anyone to give me anything expects a chance to prove myself. Roughly I applied for a 40-50 jobs. After a resume I followed it up by a phone call. Usually people put me on hold…… and sometimes that was that, other times I was told I was qualified. I finally after 4 months got a job with The Appomattox group. It was an hourly part time position starting at $7.5; I made roughly 500 a month. Quite rough for a family to make it on that, my wife was back in school and worked the best she could. I was lucky that my dad could help out. I continued to apply for jobs and found another one in Appomattox. Fabriko-A screen printing place. Not a whole lot better pay but it was full time. The people who ran it basically walked around and cursed at people most of the time. Not exactly fun, but the options are not that many. I continued to work weekends on the group home. One day I had, had enough. people curse at me too much and stood up and quit.

I have never done that before. I do not plan on putting myself in that place aging. My wife was furious and so were my in-laws. My parents thought it was sad as they understood I was angry as I usually do not do things on impulse. After a month I lawyer asked me to rearrange and fix up her files. She paid me about 300 a week. Tedious work but best job so far. Nice people and best pay I had received in Virginia and one cursing at you. I knew this would last for about 3 months since by that time I should have been able to sort out the files. A local photographer said he needed some help so I tried working for him. He was a bit too used to work with his wife so many times I show up and he said Oh, I have tons for you to do…but I have been too busy to set things up. Come back tomorrow”. 8 bucks an hour and he has manners and was nice. A bit unreliable but till I figured out next step.

Through one of the clients at the group home I came in contact with DePaul Family Services day-support. This is were people with developmental disabilities go during the day. No one cursing and carrying on here. Not full time but the lady (a Yankee…everyone has told me they were supposed to be snobby and arrogant. I found a very nice lady running this place). She recommended me for the office on Atherholt road. So after a year I worked there. Not full time so no benefits. Far from the internet design company I worked at before I left, but I almost worked full time. (Actually I worked around 45 hours a week as I kept the working when I could at the group home). They gave me a full time job in 2005. Not exactly a good pay but it was definitely decent. No one curses at you or your fellow employees either.
I still work at DePaul. I do get to do some things I went to college for and I am eternally grateful for that. It is far from the world I left…but a heck lot better than the central Virginia I came to.

All this time I have people tell me how lazy and worthless I am. If I just did things right I would make so much money. Money is not happiness though. I have never heard I was brainless before, but I am sure I am. Everyone telling me how I just need to put in an effort etc, etc really did get to me. There I was sometimes working a lot and people saying things like that. [/SIZE]
I really would like to enjoy Lynchburg more believe me….and I try. Obviously I stick to the bad parts of town. I must figure out a way to do that. I used to try and visit some of the exhibitions and lecture at Randolph-Macon but when I asked my in-laws or family of my friends that laughed and said I should get a job. Apparently it was a liberal-blueblood thing to do, so they would not take care of the kids for a short while.
Do I expect that everyone is to feel sorry for me? No why should they? Does my life reflect everyone elses. No I seriously doubt that. I do think that Lynchburg is improving, but I also think that when people are praising it like it is the 15th best place to live in the US, things need to be more balanced. I have written a lot so I won’t bore anyone with details with other people who had similar experiences in this area. They moved and never looked back.
No one never said life was easy....but I am getting very tired.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:03 AM

6 posts, read 31,563 times
I used to live in Lynchburg and still visit a couple of times a year. It amazes me how everyone knows everyone (very small townish) and the church is a HUGE factor in everyone's life. I never worked in Lynchburg--highly qualified but could not get a job--a lot of interviews focused around attendance in church, praying before the start of the day, etc. Is that even legal? I'm sure because I don't have a church affiliation and I'm "not from there" played a large part in not being able to find work. I finally gave up and left--not sure if I will ever live there again. The 24503 as Badger says is very pretty and upscale--almost makes you feel like you're somewhere else. The rest of Lynchburg in my opinion looks pretty rundown.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:30 AM

Just like anything, it is what you make it. If there are no openings in your specialty, you won't get a job- pretty simple. In regards to the religious stuff seersucker, you surely weren't qualified for a job in any one of the large corporations in Lynchburg. It would be hard to take someone seriously who said that they had applied at say, Framatome or Genworth, and found that the interview centered around church and prayer was held before work. Qualified engineers, actuaries, health care workers, and chemists can get jobs in Lynchburg, and very high paying ones at that. If you studied Psychology or General Business in college- good luck anywhere! MBA's are becoming a dime a dozen these days.
In regards to Lynchburg being rundown- I had a friend who wondered why people wanted to live in the 24503 area of Lynchburg. He thought that all the houses were old and he was surprised that more people with means didn't choose to live in areas such as Sandusky (24502) where all the really nice Ranch houses are- you know, the ones that are only 20-30 years old!
It's all about perspective.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:47 PM

506 posts, read 1,402,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
If you studied Psychology or General Business in college- good luck anywhere!
I might not be the president of the Lynchburg fan club but I would say that a psychology degree is quite useful around here. The organization I work for have had one job opening out for two weeks with two applicants. We have also had positions we could not fill. The CVCSB always need people. Not high salaries, but standard for this area. (25-30K a year)

Old 05-13-2008, 03:22 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,658,207 times
Mr J, you are getting much funnier. Next time I'm in town we'll have to have coffee if you're still around. Should be this Fall when the resto guy finishes my car. He was featured in the local paper last year.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:12 PM

6 posts, read 31,563 times
Sregorat3--for your information, I have 20+ years in healthcare and could not find a job in healthcare--any job. I was willing to do pretty much anything just to get in the door and salary was not an issue--I was willing to take less. I managed to get 3-4 interviews and I swear, the talk was about religion non-stop and before work prayer, etc. Anyway, after several months I simply gave up trying. Too frustrating. My self-worth declined rapidly after all the rejection. Moved and got a job within the first 3 interviews. If I ever live there again (doubt I will) I will go when I don't have to worry about finding work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia