Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 10:44 AM

68 posts, read 272,270 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if there are any nice suburbs close to martinsville, va? My husband is looking at a job there and we would need to live within 20 minutes of the hospital. Please let me know if you have any insight. thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 08:52 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Default Nice areas near Martinsville

Go over to Rockingham County, NC and visit the town of Eden. It is a very clean, people are friendly and it is within commuting distance of Martinsville and Greensboro, NC. Stay away from Reidsville, its a ghost town!!

Old 01-14-2007, 04:25 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
could you elaborate please on Reidsville? I was considering living there in order to commute for work in Danville. I'm doing my house hunt online and have found nothing available in Eden to rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Go over to Rockingham County, NC and visit the town of Eden. It is a very clean, people are friendly and it is within commuting distance of Martinsville and Greensboro, NC. Stay away from Reidsville, its a ghost town!!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:35 AM

84 posts, read 567,258 times
Interesting!!!!!!!!! I grew up in Martinsville and my parents currently live there, my sister lives in nearby Collinsville. Martinsville is so small I'm a bit suprised you'd even be looking for a "suburb"!!! I'd really recommend looking in the area.....there are some VERY nice ones that are affordable. Chatmoss country club area has alot of new developments going up around it towards the road leading to Danville...(I believe its Rt. 57). Newer homes, nice lots, clean neighborhoods......if you'd like me to give you the name of a friend I grew up with who works in real estate and is exceptionally nice I'd be more than happy to!!! Let me know if you need more info!!!

Oh...........and EVERYTHING is pretty much within 10min./15 min drive in Martinsville area.....trust me, I grew up there and now live in Centreville, Va. where I give myself most of the time an hour-30 min. to travel anywhere!!!!

Old 01-15-2007, 09:52 AM

Follow up to my previous reply...check out Patrick Henry Farms....off Rt. 57, @20 min. from Danville....maybe 10 min to hospital.....

Old 01-16-2007, 08:53 AM

3 posts, read 10,282 times
Default Bemn

did a nice job in decribing Martinsville...you will find the housing ver affordable in all area such as Patrick Henry Farms,Farmingdale,Druid Hills/Forest Park, Depends if you want acreage or not you can go to beautiful spots in spencer,Horspasture, etc...

Old 01-16-2007, 10:34 AM

interesting name rives33, do you happen to work in Martinsville for a realtor?? Just asking because seems coincendental......yep, lived there a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG time.....born and raised, essentially. Lived in Bassett until I was 3 (born in Martinsville, as there was no hospital in Bassett), and then until I moved out after college.....graduated from M'ville. Now in Northern Va......possibly relocating to NY area. BIG change for a M'ville girl!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-16-2007, 05:15 PM

32 posts, read 172,552 times
Interesting discussion. My wife was born and raised in Martinsville. We go back roughly a dozen times a year to visit her mom and sister's family. I think that town has fallen on hard times all together, but it still has a lot to offer. Its a beautiful area and the people I've met through my wife's family have all been great. If you have or will be getting one of the town's few good jobs - you should be all right there to raise a family.

If you're into cultural amenities, nightlife, shopping or diversity this is not the place for you. If you're into golf, country clubs, small but tight-knit community life, overall good weather, proximity to the mountains and outdoor scenery - this would be right up your alley.

Home prices/cost of living are extremely affordable. Can't comment on the public schools as we don't have children, but the wife is a product of MHS and she can read, write and add with the best of em! Crime seems low, but the city has scene its share of recent controversies.

I'm not sure that Martinsville is for everyone, but the people I know there seem happy and proud of there town.

BTW - I recently shucked a couple oysters and shared a beer at a New Year's Party w/ someone in real estate from Martinsville.
Coincidently "Rives33" - do you know a particular grumpy dude that makes his bro-in-law leave New Year's Eve parties before midnight?

Old 01-17-2007, 05:14 AM

JMADZ,..........Tooooooooooooooooooooooo funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like something that could only happen in M'ville with a bunch of boozed up good old boys!!! All in good fun though!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-17-2007, 07:08 AM

3 posts, read 10,282 times
Default j...

what are you doing hanging out on this board....your brother in law has still not been forgiven for that treacherous insult on my birthday...Come back and maybe my wife will let me go out...( I doubt it)

did we mention that we can get some fine oysters in martinsville too???

Bemn...Yes I am a realtor...my family has been in the game for almost 80 years and developed Forest Park/Druid Hills...

feel free to fire any questions about Real Estate in MArtinsville/Henry County!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia