Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2018, 02:37 PM

11 posts, read 5,712 times

Advertisements

Thinking about relocating from the Gold Coast of Connecticut to somewhere slightly warmer and cheaper (Delaware to Carolinas) that isn't more than a day's drive from family in Greater NYC area.

I have family in northern VA (DC suburbs) so I know the job market there is healthy but the cost of housing is high relative to the rest of the state. I'm in my late 50's but years away from being able to retire so I need to find work (non-managerial office: administrative assistant, office manager) that pays enough to cover the cost of a modest studio or one bedroom apartment.

Any opinions on the job market in Richmond or further south/closer to coast, Roanoke, Norfolk/VB/Hampton Roads? I'm clueless about the state other than Fairfax County. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 05:01 PM

230 posts, read 223,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen1159 View Post
Thinking about relocating from the Gold Coast of Connecticut to somewhere slightly warmer and cheaper (Delaware to Carolinas) that isn't more than a day's drive from family in Greater NYC area.

I have family in northern VA (DC suburbs) so I know the job market there is healthy but the cost of housing is high relative to the rest of the state. I'm in my late 50's but years away from being able to retire so I need to find work (non-managerial office: administrative assistant, office manager) that pays enough to cover the cost of a modest studio or one bedroom apartment.

Any opinions on the job market in Richmond or further south/closer to coast, Roanoke, Norfolk/VB/Hampton Roads? I'm clueless about the state other than Fairfax County. Thanks for your help.
Based on your post (and not knowing your budget), I would first look at Richmond and then at Hampton Roads. Richmond's job market is currently strong, and it probably has a suitable number of employment opportunities in the field you've identified. Hampton Roads is a larger metropolitan area than Richmond, but it's rather notorious for having high housing and living costs relative to wages and job opportunities.

Roanoke is another possibility. However, it's a smaller city/metro area in a mountainous region that's known for colder weather than the tidewater and piedmont areas of Virginia. With that said, Roanoke would be cheaper than either Richmond or Hampton Roads.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:22 AM

43 posts, read 48,234 times
I am from metro NYC with plenty of family still there and my daughter worked in Fairfax County for a few years, so I have some perspective. I live in Va Beach and, it isn't cheap but it is very nice. You can rent a beautiful one BR in a top notch location for $1300+, or for as little as $800 or so in a safe/decent place.

I worked as an engineer and then a physics teacher after a corporate buyout, and both of these positions pay well relative to housing costs. Virginia Beach alone is larger than the entire Roanoke area, or Lynchburg or Charlottesville (uncle lives there and I went to UVA), so you need to want to live in a larger place.

Everything here is so much cheaper than NYC metro, and there are so many more amenities to include awesome recreation centers, beaches and parks. My moms house in Sparta NJ is 1100 sq ft with $11,000 in taxes. I live in a 2500 sq ft all brick place in a beautiful neighborhood backing up to wetlands/water and pay $3500 including car tax on our cars. No comparison.

NOVA is unlivable unless you have a great job or have roommates. Trust me.

Good luck

Old 10-15-2018, 09:27 AM

35,318 posts, read 31,731,888 times
Basically everything south and west of Roanoke on I-81 are tiny towns without a lot going on. I'd definitely check into Richmond or the Tidewater area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia