Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,126 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Me and my wife are possibly moving to the Norfolk, Chesapeake, Newport news, Virginia beach, Suffolk area. We are pretty free to move anywhere in this area. Close to the water would be better for me as I would like to have a mooring on the water.

Will be buying roughly 350-425kish.

I need someone to be brutally honest for me here as I still have the option to back out. Reading some of the forums I see this area is not really the greatest. I have always lived in very nice areas with little to no crime and fancy night life. I saw one post to avoid this area like the plague.

I understand in our price point we can probably be in a decent area, but once we go out of the residential is the entire vicinity generally bad?

White

thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 11:45 AM

312 posts, read 354,652 times
Overall, the attitudes of people on these boards tend to be pretty negative toward Hampton Roads (this varies from the attitudes of people you'll meet "on the street" in Hampton Roads). Our experience has been positive. We like it here. We're in Newport News and, while it might not be our perfect-in-every-way place, it's pretty nice. We love the climate. We love being close to the ocean. The people are friendly. There are bad areas interspersed with good. Honestly, nine years ago, the people on these boards had us scared to death to move to Newport News. The crime! The schools! The (shhh!)...minorities! I'm glad we didn't listen. Our part of Newport News is great. Other areas, not so much, but, who cares? They're 10 miles away (Newport News is twenty-five miles long).

Virginia Beach is very nice. Chesapeake is nice. People will tell you to stay out of Norfolk, but, guess what? Our allergist (who, believe me, has the money to live elsewhere) lives there. So does our friend whose husband is a physician at Sentara Norfolk. A lot of the negativity about HR on these boards comes from people who live in or have moved here from other parts of the state and who, since we're being brutally honest, don't have a whole lot of experience with or tolerance for minorities. I had one person who'd come to Newport News from a different part of the state private messaging me about crime statistics and how I should be concerned (I was more concerned when her crime statistics page gave me a computer virus). She was spooked, and her time here was short. Let me put this in perspective, though. She had never been the victim of a crime in HR. No one in my family (of six) has ever been a victim of a crime in HR. No one anybody in my family knows personally has ever been the victim of a crime in HR. No one anybody in my family knows personally has ever told us about someone they know personally being the victim of a crime in HR (except for one guy my husband used to work with who had his car broken into in Hampton. I think you kind of take your chances in Hampton).

So, to sum up: HR can be a very nice place with a very reasonable cost of living (housing can be a little pricey) IF YOU'RE THE RIGHT TYPE OF PERSON FOR HR. If you're someone who thinks "Crime!" every time you see a face darker than your own, this is probably not the right place for you. HR is an integrated area. Most of my neighbors are white (and nice!). Some of my neighbors are black (and nice!). I'll bet there are many people in these forums that would not be comfortable living here. More's the pity for them.

Best of luck to you. I hope you'll be able to come and visit before you make your final decision.

Last edited by Isabella Tiger Moth; 11-08-2017 at 11:57 AM..

Old 11-09-2017, 02:43 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,715 times
Moved to the area 11 years ago from California and very much enjoy the beaches, weather, culture, food and people.
The QOL here is immeasurably better than the West Coast.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:24 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiesdrive View Post
That place is a complete DUMP!
numbingly foolish.....how and where is your Garden of Eden?

Old 11-10-2017, 08:30 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Lived there 20 years in Norfolk / Va Beach and I liked it. Plenty of upscale areas to choose from and areas to avoid just like any other place with 1 million+ people. Look around and see what fits your lifestyle and go from there, good luck...

The only real negative can be the traffic depending on where you live and need to travel for work..

Old 11-10-2017, 09:02 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiesdrive View Post
That place is a complete DUMP!
OP was asking about Hampton Roads, not Danville...

Old 11-10-2017, 11:37 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
here is the thread for the area OP is interested in: https://www.city-data.com/forum/hampton-roads-area/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia