Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 06:06 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,262,804 times

Advertisements

Her exact words were that she doesn't want to be in the middle of nowhere. She likes NOVA but can't afford it. Please stop with the Shenandoah stuff. She doesn't have kids and is looking to date at 40! A college town (unless there's lots of single professors) is not going to be for her.

OP please research Richmond and Hampton Roads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 06:35 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,452,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Her exact words were that she doesn't want to be in the middle of nowhere. She likes NOVA but can't afford it. Please stop with the Shenandoah stuff. She doesn't have kids and is looking to date at 40! A college town (unless there's lots of single professors) is not going to be for her.

News Flash! Lynchburg and Winchester both have doctors, hospital administrators, dentists, lawyers, business owners, financial planners, CPAs, realtors, insurance agents, school teachers, fire fighters, policemen, hotel/restaurant managers, exectives with the manufacturing companies, airport managers, and, yes, college professors and administrators. Winchester even has a large FBI location and FEMA not far away. And with the divorce rate in the 50% range, I'm sure many are "available".

Yes, they're smaller than Richmond and Hampton Roads but sometimes smaller cities offer a more welcoming way to meet people.

Good grief.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 02-28-2017 at 06:50 PM..

Old 02-28-2017, 06:36 PM

91 posts, read 130,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post

Not sure why you're upset about our suggestions.... Although Winchester is NOVA, it is not priced like the area closer to DC. Lots of affordable houses. I know because I own one! And we aren't in the middle of nowhere by a long shot.

As for the dating scene, I'm no expert any more, but there is no shortage of single people. Anyways, no one considers Winchester a "college town". Shenandoah U is quite small.

Anyways, just trying to help the OP. If I were her I would want to know about as many options as possible.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:37 PM

91 posts, read 130,065 times
Ha, we both had the same reaction 1 min apart!

Old 02-28-2017, 06:47 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,452,938 times
OP: There are many, many wonderful places in Virginia. NoVa is by far the most expensive. I'd suggest you take at least a week and drive the state. This is a big move so a taking a long visit is a good idea.

Start in Winchester, go down the valley to Roanoke cut over to Lynchburg and Charlottesville, Richmond and then down to Williamsburg and Norfolk/Hampton Roads. You'll get a feel for the state and see it has many opportunities.

I'd stay away from the really small cities like Farmville, Bristol, Staunton, Warrenton etc. You can tell from a map.

I threw in Winchester because even though it is a small city, it is very close to DC for so many cultural/educational opportunities without the cost of living.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:25 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,262,804 times
I'm not upset about your suggestions. I just don't see Lynchburg competing with Virginia Beach when it comes to things to do and dating. I honestly don't know anymore about Winchester other than the description in the comments. From the description it sounds like 'it's close to D.C. without being part of DC' but she likes the feel of D.C. Lynchburglover seems to be ignoring most of the important criteria. But you're right everyone has their opinions.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:57 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,065,167 times
Her request was for "southern Virginia" (which I assumed not to mean Danville/South Hill but the "rest of Virginia" other than NoVa)!

So I say the more options the better! Some focusing on job options and large population will lean one direction. Others focusing on affordability and QOL issues will lean another.

So let the OP do the narrowing!

Old 03-01-2017, 12:55 PM

895 posts, read 2,097,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Her request was for "southern Virginia" (which I assumed not to mean Danville/South Hill but the "rest of Virginia" other than NoVa)!

So I say the more options the better! Some focusing on job options and large population will lean one direction. Others focusing on affordability and QOL issues will lean another.

So let the OP do the narrowing!
Well said. Roanoke, Lynchburg...they aren't in the middle of nowhere. Va Bch has sand and people, Western Va has mountains and less traffic.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:20 PM

6 posts, read 6,128 times
Thank you all very much!! Road trip in VA it is... !!!

Old 03-05-2017, 05:26 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,853,584 times
I'd suggest checking out Fredericksburg as well, between NoVa and Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia