Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 07:35 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times

Advertisements

Source: http://potomaclocal.com/2016/12/11/v...inesville-dead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 11:48 AM

At least we'll be getting midday service.... hopefully.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:29 PM

I emailed Suhas Naddoni, who is a Councilmember of the City of Manassas Park and a VRE board member. I was told this:

Hello,

The proposed extension is not cancelled, however at this point its up in the air.

VRE recommended that Broad Run Terminus (relocating the existing Broad Run station a short distance east) as a cost effective alternative to extending the line to Gainesville-Haymarket. However, one of the sites that was being considered for relocation is no longer available.

Meanwhile, Prince William County Board of Supervisors are still considering if and how to pursue the Gainesville-Haymarket extension and fund the project.

I have attached some documents from the VRE Operations Board meeting for you | http://www.vre.org/about/board/board...1616final-pdf/ and http://www.vre.org/about/board/board...ate-jan17-pdf/

Regards,

Suhas Naddoni
Councilmember, City of Manassas Park

Old 02-24-2017, 01:51 PM

And have any of you seen this image before? It shows how many trains could be used depending on what option they choose or have chosen:

Source: Community Meeting #2 | VA Railway Express

Old 02-26-2017, 07:31 PM

I also emailed Marty Nohe, who is a district supervisor for the Coles District in Prince William County and a VRE board member. I was told this by him:

Thank you for this question. I have attached below a link to an article for which I was interviewed with a different news site that gives a little more information about VRE, and the Board's efforts to expand service on the western line.

While the idea of extending a new line to Haymarket has not been completely eliminated, I think that it is fair to say that it is not likely to happen in the foreseeable future.* The recent "phase 1" study that VRE just completed looked at a number of options to expand VRE service along the Manassas line, including a full extension to Haymarket. In the end, it became clear that the cost both of constructing the additional infrastructure needed for a Haymarket extension, as well as the ongoing costs of maintaining and operating a line to Haymarket, are simply cost-prohibitive.*Therefore, the Board has been focusing in on the options of extending service along a shorter line to Gainesville, stopping a few miles short of Haymarket, or of expanding the existing railyard and station at Broad Run to add more capacity to the existing facilities. Both will increase total ridership and provide more service, but at a much lower cost than extending all the way to Haymarket.* I suspect that the VRE Board will make a decision at the March 17 meeting to proceed with one of those options for further "phase 2" studies.

I hope that this feedback is helpful.*If you have any questions, or if my office can assist you in any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Yours-
Marty Nohe

Not dead yet: VRE to Gainesville still an option | News | fauquier.com

Martin E Nohe
Coles District Supervisor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia