Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 09:56 PM

18 posts, read 19,406 times

Advertisements

I am looking to switch and may land a gig at Navy Yard. I live in Spotsylvania county. The two commuter lots near me are Salem Church Road and Gordon Road. Any bus leaving from either and go to Navy Yard? The only thing I see is Quick bus leaving from Route 17 but that is easily 30 mins in the morning and 45 minutes in the evening to get home. Couple that with the 1.5+ hours bus ride, I will be spending almost 5 hours in commute since I would need to get to the bus at least 15 mins before departure in case of traffic jam or accident congestion, which happens a lot on Route 17 and 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 07:35 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
I agree. I think you're looking at a commute of about 5 hours a day. I know of people who do it, but personally, I would not consider it.

In addition to public transportation, I suggest checking out ridesharing and vanpools.

Commuters | Commuter Connections

Route 17-1

Old 04-20-2015, 03:57 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,427 times
Would VRE work for you? You can transfer at Le'Fante Plaza to Metro and take it to the Navy Yards.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Would VRE work for you? You can transfer at Le'Fante Plaza to Metro and take it to the Navy Yards.

That's option #3. I am about 15 to 20 minutes from VRE and I think it is free parking and nice pleasant drive. It is the same route I take now. I may do this as trains are more reliable and safer than roads. In addition, I am not restricted to exact time and worrying about missing the bus, which would ruin my day. I do need to get home by 1800.

The first option is to listed in OP. The second option is to take a bus from my house to Crystal City and take the metro from there to Lefante and jump on the green line to Navy Yard. There used to be a bus leaving 400 yards from my house and straight to Navy Yard but I don't see it being offered anymore. I am very surprise that there is no bus from my side of town going to to Navy Yard. I don't care if it has to stop at a few places. DMV areas truly have poor public transport ion for its large upper middle class workforce.

The 3 hours spent on bus I plan to do my work planning, personal finance, and stuffs I like doing on the phone so I don't have to do it when I get home. I may even sleep after getting the handle on the commute. I'd I can get paid while working on the ride, it would be awesome.

Another unlikely option is to work 3 days a week from 0600 to 1430 and drive but work from home on 2 other days.

Last edited by Jimmy21; 04-21-2015 at 09:47 PM..

Old 04-24-2015, 01:08 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
VRE will open its new Spotsylvania station in July 2015, near Route 17, east of F'burg (5 miles southeast of the F'burg station). The new Spotsylvania station will have 1,482 parking spaces, restrooms, and a covered platform. This should relieve crowded parking at the F'burg station.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotsylvania_(VRE_station)

This was covered in detail, in the Washington Post, last week. Washington Post: Breaking News, World, US, DC News & Analysis (the full link is too long to copy here).

Old 04-26-2015, 01:08 AM

Cool about VRE new location as I prefer to not park downtown. Either location is the same distance and time so it looks like VRE, Lefante, then Metro to Navy Yard.

Last edited by Jimmy21; 04-26-2015 at 01:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: