Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 01:00 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,365,062 times

Advertisements

Currently live in western NY, so you can't blame me for wanting to escape these winters. Brrrrrrr.

Think I want to move to VA; you tell me if it really would be a good fit or if I'm suffering from grass is greener syndrome.

Best person to offer insight would be someone who has lived in multiple states and can compare VA to other areas. (But all input welcome!)

General info. :

Husband is a computer programmer.

I am a dog trainer.

Want to keep our horses at home.

No children.

Need to buy or build for < $200,000

Want 4 seasons but milder, shorter winters than NY state

Want rural but not boonies. Maybe border between suburbs and sticks (that's how I'd describe where we live now)

Have been looking into areas outside of C'ville, Lynchburg, and Roanoke but also open to somewhere outside of Richmond..?

Here are the things I'm most worried about:

1) How bad are the bugs? Is it true that there are spiders so big you have to beat them with a shovel or shoot them? What are the biggest insect issues I'd face? Do the horses get eaten alive in the summer? Do the people?

2) Are poisonous snakes really common in rural areas?

3) Is heartworm rampant in dogs there?

4) Will people hate me if I'm not super-Christian (just average Christian)? If I don't go to church regularly will the neighbors take issue? If I'm Episcopalian, will they view me just as negatively as a satanist?

5) Are there strip clubs all over the place? - would you say more or less than other states?

6) Are tornadoes and other natural disasters a constant issue? Are there wicked thunderstorms often?

7) Are the summers so humid that you just stay indoors?

8) Is animal abuse / neglect prevalent?

9) Are there predators I'd have to worry about around my horses and dogs?

10) Are the women all done-up and beautiful? How do they compare with women in other areas of the U.S.? (like for example where I live in western NY we all go out with no makeup, don't dress up, nobody has plastic surgery, nobody ever did a pageant, etc.)

I realize these are bizarre questions. I'm a bizarre individual, what can I say. I hope you'll help me out anyway and take the questions seriously even though they probably seem very silly to you. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 01:59 PM

4,906 posts, read 7,498,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Currently live in western NY, so you can't blame me for wanting to escape these winters. Brrrrrrr.

Think I want to move to VA; you tell me if it really would be a good fit or if I'm suffering from grass is greener syndrome.

Best person to offer insight would be someone who has lived in multiple states and can compare VA to other areas. (But all input welcome!)

General info. :

Husband is a computer programmer. Make sure the job is lined up first.

I am a dog trainer.

No children.

Need to buy or build for < $200,000 -- in the more rural areas, that's not impossible. The closer you get to a larger city, the harder it will be (particularly if you're looking for acreage for horses) You'll never find anything habitable on acreage for that price north of Richmond.

Want 4 seasons but milder, shorter winters than NY state -- yes but keep in mind, most of Virginia does get snow/ice, particularly in the western side and north of Richmond.

Want rural but not boonies. Maybe border between suburbs and sticks (that's how I'd describe where we live now) Look around Roanoke/Lexington/maybe Blacksburg.

Have been looking into areas outside of C'ville, Lynchburg, and Roanoke but also open to somewhere outside of Richmond..?

1) How bad are the bugs? Is it true that there are spiders so big you have to beat them with a shovel or shoot them? What are the biggest insect issues I'd face? Do the horses get eaten alive in the summer? Do the people? --Not nearly as bad as the Carolinas and way South.

2) Are poisonous snakes really common in rural areas? some but not overwhelming.

3) Is heartworm rampant in dogs there? it is common, just keep them on the medication, they'll be fine

4) Will people hate me if I'm not super-Christian (just average Christian)? If I don't go to church regularly will the neighbors take issue? If I'm Episcopalian, will they view me just as negatively as a satanist? There are religious zealots everywhere. Lynchburg is probably the most conservative city you've listed.

5) Are there strip clubs all over the place? - would you say more or less than other states? They're scattered here and there but certainly not all over the place. I can't think of a single one off the top of my head.

6) Are tornadoes and other natural disasters a constant issue? Are there wicked thunderstorms often?
Tornadoes do happen but not very often. Wicked thunderstorms? Umm, yeah, that's just a Southern summer thing. Heat and humidity meet cold front and THUNDERSTORM occurs.
Yes, humidity can be brutal -- but the further west into the piedmont and mountains, the lower it is. Closer to the Chesapeake Bay and the Ocean, it gets to be tidewater and hotter/humid.
No more than anywhere else.

??
10) Are the women all done-up and beautiful? How do they compare with women in other areas of the U.S.? (like for example where I live in western NY we all go out with no makeup, don't dress up, nobody has plastic surgery, nobody ever did a pageant, etc.)
You seriously need to visit because if you think Virginia is filled with Belles from Gone With the Wind . . . well, this is not Texas.
I realize these are bizarre questions. I'm a bizarre individual, what can I say. I hope you'll help me out anyway and take the questions seriously even though they probably seem very silly to you. Thanks!
Lastly, I would strongly encourage you to visit for about two weeks. Spend two or three days in Charlottesville, Richmond, Roanoke and Lynchburg. But, especially, get the jobs before you move. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,018,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post

General info. :

Husband is a computer programmer.

I am a dog trainer.

No children.

Need to buy or build for < $200,000

Want 4 seasons but milder, shorter winters than NY state

Want rural but not boonies. Maybe border between suburbs and sticks (that's how I'd describe where we live now)

1) How bad are the bugs? Is it true that there are spiders so big you have to beat them with a shovel or shoot them? What are the biggest insect issues I'd face? Do the horses get eaten alive in the summer? Do the people?

2) Are poisonous snakes really common in rural areas?

3) Is heartworm rampant in dogs there?

4) Will people hate me if I'm not super-Christian (just average Christian)? If I don't go to church regularly will the neighbors take issue? If I'm Episcopalian, will they view me just as negatively as a satanist?

5) Are there strip clubs all over the place? - would you say more or less than other states?

Strip clubs all over the place? In southwest Virginia? Let me laugh a moment...

Okay, now that that is out of my system I'll address some of your serious questions...

First let me say this...are you familiar with the Lafayette area south of Syracuse? That's what much of southwestern Virginia looks like. I happen to think this is God's country

Frankly I wouldn't encourage you to look at Richmond - it's too far east and part of the D.C. corridor so it's not nearly as nice as the areas surrounding Roanoke.

Your biggest obstacle will be finding your husband a job however. I would suggest you concentrate your search on that, then you can better zero in on where to look for property. You can find property in your price range for sure, but you just need to have that job lined up first before you get your heart set on one area.

Snakes and heart worms? Yes - but no worse than many of places in America. Cooperheads and timber rattlers are the most common snakes, but it's not like you see them all the time or anything.

The worst predator is the coyote - though they are not usually a threat to horses I don't think, only small calves, small dogs, cats, rabbits...

Your description of women where you live seems to fit for what I'd say you will see in southern/southwestern Virginia.

On the internet read up on places like Boones Mill, Floyd, and Hillsville.

And lastly, you will definitely have 4 beautiful seasons with a lot less snow and misery in Virginia

Old 06-02-2011, 04:53 PM

I'll be spending 10 days in VA this September. Very excited. Current plan is to stay a few days in each of the following locations: Richmond, Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Roanoke. If everyone thinks I'm wasting my time in the Richmond area, I will certainly cut that portion in favor of spending more time in the other areas.

Would never move without securing a new job first. Have identified a few companies in Roanoke and Lynchburg that seem to have job opportunities for Java programmers. (Advance Auto, J Crew are a couple I can remember off the top of my head. And there seem to be openings at the various colleges as well.)

Thank you very much for the answers so far. They are helpful for me. I hope I get some more info. / advice / opinions!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:59 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,909,665 times
Strip clubs in Roanoke, Richmond not many in other areas if at all.
Poisionous snakes rare here in the mountains, mostly closer to the ocean.
Bugs o.k.
Women are prettier in the cities, in the outlying areas none dresses up much either.
Episcopalians accepted, Baptists everywhere though! This is still the South!
In Roanoke, Lynchburg, C'ville you will need air conditioning in summer.
In higher elevations not so much but a/c is nice on a humid day.

Good Luck in your move!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,018,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Strip clubs in Roanoke, Richmond not many in other areas if at all.
Poisionous snakes rare here in the mountains, mostly closer to the ocean.
Bugs o.k.
Women are prettier in the cities, in the outlying areas none dresses up much either.
Episcopalians accepted, Baptists everywhere though! This is still the South!
In Roanoke, Lynchburg, C'ville you will need air conditioning in summer.
In higher elevations not so much but a/c is nice on a humid day.

Good Luck in your move!
love ya roanoker, but it's not really accurate to say snakes are "rare" in the mountains - they are actually pretty common in the rural areas

K9, I really don't think the Richmond area is what you are looking for, however, the unemployment rate there is really low compared to the national average. So I guess I can't say don't look there at all, as it could be your best bet for employment for your husband. But I would say you should concentrate your efforts on Roanoke and the New River Valley first and foremost before you give in and look at Richmond.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:42 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,246,165 times
You will likely do better around a larger city as a dog trainer. Is your plan to have your own training facility? The agility trainers in Virginia that I am aware of seem to stay busy.

As far as predators, there are coyotes in many areas of Virginia. I do not think that would pose a threat to the horses, but if you have small dogs, they could be an issue.

Loose pitbulls are a bigger threat to horses & other dogs. The Richmond news too often reports these types of attacks. But I don't think this is a big issue.

There are plenty of Epsicopal churches here.

Heartworm in dogs is definitely an issue for dogs not kept on a preventative medication such as Interceptor. I foster for my local humane society. Some of our dogs test positive and have to undergo treatment. It is not a huge number. Out of 14 foster dogs, I have had one heartworm positive dog.

Animal abuse exists everywhere. We have hoarding cases here just like other places. In some parts of Virginia, hunters are allowed to hunt deer with dogs. There are hunters who take care of their dogs. But there are too many hunters who barely feed them & care for them and then turn 'em loose, take them to the local kill shelter or shoot them at the end of hunt season.

Hunters legally can come onto your property to retrieve their dogs. I have not found that to be a problem. The hunters who have come onto my property looking for dogs have been polite. But some landowners resent this.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2011, 11:17 AM

1,089 posts, read 2,675,877 times
I think a spot midway between C'Ville and Lynchburg would be ideal as there are lots of nice rolling hills, land is cheaper and you might find a ready to go home on 10 acres with a horse barn around your price range or maybe $250K. The area just west of US 29 is full of small farms and homes with lots of land. Agree with other posts on weather, etc. Good jobs can be hard to find and you have to allow at least 6 months. With the number of colleges and decent tech related firms in C'ville and Lynchburg there is hope but you have to be in the right place at the right time too. Central AC is a must in summer but you can just drive up the Blue Ridge Parkway and it can be very comfortable most days.

Richmond area is flatter and hotter and less charming IMHO.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:13 PM

As far as the humidity in the summers, I'll make sure to have AC in the house. The trouble is, I want to be outside riding and hanging out with the dogs & horses! I'm guessing best times for that would be morning and evening. But if the bugs are bad, none of us will want to be out there...

Where I live now, I am held hostage indoors from Dec. - March because of the BRUTAL winters. I would hate to be stuck inside June - August though in VA... But I will say I handle heat and humidity FAR better than bitter cold and snow so maybe I'll be ok!

I read other threads that described a horrible deer tick problem throughout rural VA, stuff about chiggers and biting insects that attack you while you mow the lawn, and giant spiders that live in houses and barns. I don't have those issues here in WNY and know I would not deal well with tons of ticks and big spiders. Thoughts?

I actually like snakes very much, but worry about the poisonous varieties in VA because of my dogs. We don't have any poisonous snakes where I live now but we have plenty of critters and one of my 3 dogs has a... taste for blood I guess you could say I'd hate for her to get into it with a poisonous snake.

TN Lily mentioned loose Pit Bulls... anyone else heard anything about that (loose dogs in general bothering horses)?

So people just keep their dogs on year-round heartworm preventative and it really is effective?

A couple additional questions:

Does pretty much everyone own a firearm in rural VA?

Do most parents use corporal punishment with their kids?

Is there a feeling of "history" in the rural parts around C'ville, Blacksburg, Lunchburg, Roanoke? Like old homes, old forestation? Or is that isolated to Wmsburg, C'ville itself, Richmond, etc.?

Are there billboards all over the place? On the highways?

I can't thank you enough for the answers thus far. Keep 'em comin'!

Old 06-03-2011, 12:49 PM

1,089 posts, read 2,675,877 times
I'd say must homes have a long gun--rifle or shotgun often used for hunting.
Corporal punishment may be more common but never seen it used in public either.
LOTS of history. Many homes are from 1700 and 1800's including country estates. Ons needing work can be bought cheap.
Some along US 29 but not tons that I can recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia