Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite current Generation Console?
Xbox 360 37 43.53%
Wii 15 17.65%
Playstation 3 33 38.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:08 PM

409 posts, read 2,634,240 times

Advertisements

You can only Choose one.
Please Explain Why.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 11:11 PM

My favorite is the Xbox 360. I liked the introduction of gamer tags, the accumulation of points for games played, and the Xbox Live experience. In addition, it also got many of the Cool/Must play games such as Halo and Gears of War.

Second place would be the Wii. This is perfect console for family settings and young children.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:49 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,394,567 times
I happen to own all three and think they are equal depending on what form of entertainment you are looking for.

-The Wii is for casual/ party gamers who like to physically interact while playing- maybe even get some exercise beyond just twiddling the thumbs. The cons of the Wii is that online isn't as popular as the 360 and PS3, the graphics are a generation behind, and the only GREAT games on the console are made by Nintendo

-The PS3 imo is a console for RPG gaming. Wireless is standard for everything on the PS3 and of course it has Blu-ray. The PS3 offers a free and competitive online system and great exclusive games. I however find the controllers too cramped for adults to play long periods of time. Although free the Playstation network doesn't offer as many amenities as Xbox Live.....

-The Xbox 360 is a technological marvel, with that being said it has it problems- it has a 30% hardware failure rate most commonly referred to as the Red Ring of Death or (RROD) which has happened to me twice with the same console. Also Xbox live cost each member $50 a year to join. It isn't all doom and gloom for the 360 because it does offer great exclusives and imo the best competitive online gameplay and something called gamer points which PS3 has tried to incorporate into their system called trophies. There isnt aincentive for getting gamer points, however it makes the game more competitive among friends and the value of the game being played doesn't decrease as fast.

Again each console has it's pros and cons- if you can afford it get all three so you don'tmiss an exclusive

Old 02-23-2010, 01:44 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
I own all 3, and I personally believe that the PS3 is the best by a margin. My opinions broken down:

Wii: Easily the worst of the 3. Motion gaming is a chore at best, and there are too few games that actually use the motion controlled gaming in an interesting way. There are way too few good games on the console, and it's easily Nintendo's second worst console effort in my opinion.

PS3: Fantastic console on every front. Great controller, great games, great technology, etc. It's convienvent for the blu-ray player, and if you get a 60gb, you basically have 3 consoles in one.

360: Fantastic turnaround from the original Xbox. Solved each and every problem I had with it. Which was mainly the variety of games. Surprising RPG turnout for a western console, and only up until recently it had the most RPGs on it. Not as great with the graphics and such, and the pay-to-play online is a bit meh, but that's mainly because I'm not an online gamer to begin with.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:00 AM

511 posts, read 2,199,509 times
We own PS3 & wii... I voted Playstation. I LOVE the Playstation store... some of the free demos end up staying on ours for weeks, because you can get so much enjoyment out of them... being able to download movies, games & TV shows is great... Some of the little $10 games they put in the PS store are just awesome... Love the graphics... folding @ home is built in... we also use it as our CD/DVD player. On top of all that we got lucky... we have an 80gig and it's FULLY backwards compatable.... yup we can pop in most PS2 & PS1 games & play without a problem. (No need to buy the re-release of FFVII on the PS Store!)

The wii is fun... It's nice to be active & playing video games... we only have very few games for it though, Bleach, Zelda, wii Sports, and some $5 marching band game, lol.

XBox... My sisters got an XBox years ago (the one before 360). I hated the controller & never really got into any of the games they had for it. I have never really had any desire to play one again... maybe the 360 is an improvment, but I don't feel the need to run out & buy one to see, because the PS3 fills all our gaming needs.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
I don't feel the need to run out & buy one to see, because the PS3 fills all our gaming needs.
I feel the same way about the Xbox 360. There has not been a PS3 only release that can motivate me to purchase it.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:05 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,902,630 times
PS3 all the way. Free online, blue ray, better exclusive and a lower failure rate.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:23 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,167 times
I was going to give my vote to the Xbox 360, but I have had several red rings of death and scratched disks come out of the two I owned. Also, $60 a year for online isn't expensive, but it is an inconvenience. PS3 wins this one hands down...

Old 02-26-2011, 06:23 AM

192 posts, read 436,221 times
Own all three, voted for PS3 for reasons mentioned already:

Wii is okay, but mainly for casual gamers, usually in a social setting. Doesn't hold my attention when it comes to serious solo gaming sessions.

I had one of the original Xbox 360s, which of course RROD'd - do any of those 2005 360s still function? I think they had close to a 100% failure rate. Got a replacement, but I now use it only for 360-exclusive titles.

PS3 - game selection has vastly improved, which was the main drawback vs 360 for the first few years it came out. Blu-Ray, free online gaming, and free Netflix streaming put it over the top.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:01 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,126,888 times
Xbox 360!! Anyone hear of online gaming??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games