Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 02:28 AM

927 posts, read 586,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie White View Post
There are a couple of retro gaming stores in my area that deal in everything from as old as the NES and Sega, all the way up to games for consoles two generations back, such as PS3, Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Wii.

I've noticed these stores see a lot of traffic, more busy than I ever see Gamestop get, except for during the holidays.

I wonder if Gamestop could get out of their multi year decline by dealing in both, including for trade ins? Then they cater to both markets.

Perhaps some locations would have to move to a bigger store to accommodate this inventory, but I've also seen Gamestops where a good 60 percent of the floor and wall space is non game merch, such as t shirts, stuffed plush toys, trading cards and board games.

But taking a video game store and trying to reinvent themselves as a toys and collectibles store clearly hasn't turned them around in the last several years. And as a regular customer, I don't see very many people walking up to the counter with these items.

Seems to me if they filled all that space being used for alternate merch with retro game cases, they'd have more sales.

Especially with modern games going more and more digital. The fact that Sony and Microsoft decided to offer physical copies of games for the fifth generation consoles arguably saved Gamestop.....for now.

Good chance that won't be the case next time around.

At that point, either they've become known as the only brick and mortar retro gaming store that exists in every town in America, or its curtains for Gamestop because they'll have nothing left to sell.
Reggie is in charge of Gamestop now I believe he has some major plans and will make it work. He worked for Nintendo till 2019 when Nintendo started being lazy on the Switch and that's when he left. He likely saw writing on the wall and in Japan you don't ever criticize unless the group agrees so he didn't/couldn't be the odd one out. I don't blame him ONE bit for leaving and I think he is in a better position as he seems like a cool dude and NOT the type to be jerked around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 02:31 AM

927 posts, read 586,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't have much interest in archiving physical games beyond what I already have. I want modern consoles to encourage backwards compatibility.
Consoles? CONSOLES? How about we get Windows to have better compatibility hell most of Microsoft's OWN retro products DO NOT work on Windows 7 and is hit and miss even on XP which was the first with compatibility mode enabled.

I have to use PCEM V17 with Windows 98 emulating a VOODOO 3000 for a lot of products that simply no longer work and discovering new stuff I never got to do even back then. BTW: PCEM has new development going on after the women threw a fit and shut her forums down a guy took over and opened the forums back up! YAY!! He wants to keep the trend going and I personally think he will push for XP emulation soon and I hope he makes major changes to PCEM to make it more host friendly on non NASA computers.

When PCEM 18 comes out and it goes up to XP Era hardware/software combo your' going to need a computer more powerful then anything that exists today! I wonder if an I9 will even work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games