Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 12:57 PM

21,878 posts, read 25,195,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
^I did try it out yesterday after getting the latest update and I didn’t notice anything different.
Should have called it hotfix 1.07.

Patch 1.1 I'd expect some updates that begin to address the fact that basic game mechanics are in a very sad state. Maybe implementing AI you might expect in a game released in the last decade, implementing physics that you might expect in a game released in the last decade, overhauling melee combat, implementing a crafting system that's not garbage, that sort of thing.

I do think the priority should be on hotfixes since really the story is what it does well. You can enjoy the story with meh gameplay so fixing a dozen quest related bugs is fine and can be done relatively quickly whereas that other stuff is going to take at least six months and probably longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 04:53 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,704,392 times
Many of us knew why CDPR went ahead and released this game in such a sorry state, but now we have definitive proof that ultimately, money, profits, and greed always win out in the end, even for a 'respectable' company.

CDPR made a humongous profit even accounting for the refunds. They gambled, and they clearly won in the end.

SuperData: Cyberpunk 2077 had the biggest launch month ever in terms of digital sales

Quote:
CD Projekt Red has sold 10.2 million digital copies of Cyberpunk 2077 in its launch month, according to SuperData. It became an all-time record and contributed to the massive growth in digital sales on PC.

Digital games sales in December totaled a record-breaking revenue of $12 billion. SuperData’s recent report claims that Cyberpunk 2077 was a major factor in PC earnings jumping 40% from the prior year.

CD Projekt Red’s game set an all-time record for a single month based on digital sales and earnings. SuperData doesn’t disclose Cyberpunk 2077’s revenue but reports 10.2 million copies sold in December.

While these estimates include refunded digital copies, the analysts note that it “did not substantially affect the game’s aggregate sales.”

Old 01-25-2021, 11:31 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,672,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Many of us knew why CDPR went ahead and released this game in such a sorry state, but now we have definitive proof that ultimately, money, profits, and greed always win out in the end, even for a 'respectable' company.

CDPR made a humongous profit even accounting for the refunds. They gambled, and they clearly won in the end.

SuperData: Cyberpunk 2077 had the biggest launch month ever in terms of digital sales
Well, good for them. I personally will never play it, and I don't feel like loading up my copy of Witcher 3 ever again either. Their name is mud.

Old 01-26-2021, 09:14 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,281,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

A one off profit.

Digital delivery reduces the need for pre-order, I mean I'm going to be playing Medium release day, and I haven't even paid for it (GamePass). In 2-3 years... why even bother to pre-order? Freebies maybe, but buy day before and you get the same freebies, or wait 6 months and they're released for free anyway.

Bad reputation never dies, EA is a good example, if SW:Squadrons was from not EA or Activision it would have been hailed as incredible, as would Fallen Order. CDPR is probably running beneath EA in current reputation stakes.

Next game CDPR try to release they have to win over not only the consumer, but Steam, Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo (depending on release platforms), they're going to be under a really bright spotlight from the consumer and platform certification. Thats going to be tough, but they screwed the pooch. Is it going to be worth it? I doubt it in the long run.

10.2 Million copies isn't all that, they probably netted $30-40 million, but then that door slammed firmly shut, its unlikely anyone who looks at critics sites is going to risk CP2077, the bad press killed sales of casual users, the former Witcher fans already have it, or have returned it. That's not a lot of return on a 8 years in development game. Then there's the lawsuits to pay for.

Yeah I wouldn't call it a win.

Old 01-26-2021, 09:27 AM

16,554 posts, read 19,730,512 times
I'll be getting it in a few months once it's been patched a few times.

Old 01-26-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'll be getting it in a few months once it's been patched a few times.
Yeah and by then its going to be like $9.95.

Old 01-26-2021, 02:16 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,504,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Should have called it hotfix 1.07.

Patch 1.1 I'd expect some updates that begin to address the fact that basic game mechanics are in a very sad state. Maybe implementing AI you might expect in a game released in the last decade, implementing physics that you might expect in a game released in the last decade, overhauling melee combat, implementing a crafting system that's not garbage, that sort of thing.

I do think the priority should be on hotfixes since really the story is what it does well. You can enjoy the story with meh gameplay so fixing a dozen quest related bugs is fine and can be done relatively quickly whereas that other stuff is going to take at least six months and probably longer.
There’s a lot of work that needs to be done, in order for the game to reach its full potential. In addition to what you said, they should add activities to make Night City more lively. There are so many arcade machines lying around, yet you can’t interact with them. The shooting range is only used once during a mission and afterwards is completely ignored. Give players the ability to acquire new apartments like originally intended.

Old 01-30-2021, 06:11 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times
The Series X came in yesterday. I played Cyberpunk for 3-4 hours this morning on it, finished two story missions, all the Delamain chase quests, and a few other side quests. I played it religiously for about two days previously, and after this morning, am about fifteen hours in.

Basically, all the pure technical issues are gone. The One X ran at a notably lower resolution, largely at a lower frame rate, with texture cut-in, even with the Series X set to "quality." I also had several crashes to dashboard on the One X. On the Series X, loading times are improved, the resolution is higher/textures crisper, with no crashes and a more stable frame rate.

With the technical issues out of the way, there is a fundamentally decent game underneath it. It's fun, but shallow. I like the story. Some of the physics are just hilarious. I totally get how people are saying the physics and AI are worse than games of ten years ago.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:17 PM

I tried it out post patch. To be honest I think there's more graphical and clipping issues post patch than before. Loved sneaking in to a gym to see a civilian walk through the wall, completely across the room and out the other wall. There's also quite a few examples of textures freaking out and going all flashing psychedelic. There's also some weird particle/raytracing effects where large sections just drop out.

Car handling feels better, but you can still create Instajam by jumping out of your car midlane, and NPC drivers are still prone to driving by braille beside your mega-tower. NPCs still immediately duck and cover rather than using some logic, like crouching with your hands over your head does squat when there's a grenade 2 feet away. The magical Antigravity NPCs and items remains.

I will say its less prone to crashing. However that's about the only thing I've noticed bar driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games