Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 04:01 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,820,099 times

Advertisements

(CNN) -- On a Tuesday night in a San Francisco nightclub, Torrie Dorrell makes a very personal revelation to the gathered crowd: "I'm a full-on gamer, and my husband hates me."

Wooing women gamers -- and game creators - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 04:53 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,556,025 times
I'm pretty full on as well. Anyone in my life would have to understand that and hopefully join in.

I think the creators are definetly realizing that femals want to play games other then the stupid things like Barbie modeling clothes.

The wii has an interesting title coming up called Wii Fit which is for exercising.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:49 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,326,245 times
"More and more, husbands and boyfriends are playing second fiddle to computers and consoles as 38 percent of gamers are female, spending an average of 7.4 hours a week playing, according to the Entertainment Software Association."

This statement is OBVIOUSLY not based on MMORPGs. I'd say at most, women make up 10%, which is probably an optimistic number.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:53 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,075,229 times
I actually got my wife to be the gamer she is today. All I had to do was introduce her to RPGs. We love to sit down and play games together.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:01 PM

Well the gaming industry is missing out on NOT doing more to attract women gamers.

I think they are seeing that because things have slowly been changing to include us.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:20 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,222,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Well the gaming industry is missing out on NOT doing more to attract women gamers.

I think they are seeing that because things have slowly been changing to include us.
I dunno, I probably won't try that Wii Fit game - give me a good "manly" RPG anyday.....

Quote:
I actually got my wife to be the gamer she is today. All I had to do was introduce her to RPGs. We love to sit down and play games together.
He started me out with Legend of Dragoon, followed by Final Fantasy VIII

Old 03-03-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I dunno, I probably won't try that Wii Fit game - give me a good "manly" RPG anyday.....

He started me out with Legend of Dragoon, followed by Final Fantasy VIII
Well I think you and I are different, I personally like to blow things up, shoot at things that kind of thing. I also love to drive crazy so video games are IT for me.

I think the Wii will introduce alot of people who were not into video games, for some the hook will be something like Wii Fit. A friend of mine got a Wii for Christmas from her husband, she took it to the husbands parents house, now they are getting one. These are people in their 60s who have never played a video game in their lives.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:58 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,222,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Well I think you and I are different, I personally like to blow things up, shoot at things that kind of thing. I also love to drive crazy so video games are IT for me.
I never said I don't love blowing things up and shooting at things. I just said I'd prefer a good rpg over some exercise-specific game.

I get enough exercise with DDR, Para-Para, etc as it is...

Old 03-03-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I never said I don't love blowing things up and shooting at things. I just said I'd prefer a good rpg over some exercise-specific game.

I get enough exercise with DDR, Para-Para, etc as it is...
I mis-typed that, I meant you and I are not so different.
I don't like games that are considered girly and it sounds like your not confined by that either.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:44 PM

2,918 posts, read 6,856,119 times
From the article:
Quote:
Studies and sales data have shown that women are more likely to play hand-held casual games, such as the Nintendo DS, along with social oriented games such as "The Sims," where women make up more than 55 percent of players.

I don't do handhelds, and I don't do social oriented games.

Give me a sword, a shield, the chance to smash an unlimited number of trolls, and some puzzles to decipher and I am happy.

I've played all of the Tomb Raider series, only hating one.

If I'm not on the PS2, I am on the PC. Destroying stuff relaxes me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games