Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2023, 12:11 AM

29,540 posts, read 22,833,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Games are supposed to be fun, once it gets into this degree, fun ceases.
I would like to play the game and some like it but they are way over my skill level. Even Diablo 4 on the easiest level is proving difficult. Most games will dumb them down enough to where anyone can play and enjoy item others just miss out on us fumble fingered!
I had problems with Diablo 4 as well and had to follow an online guide to build up my character enough so that I could finish the game. But at least Diablo 4 had multiple difficulty levels.

That's why I like open world semi-RPG games like the Fallout series. It's pretty straightforward and intuitive to build a character how you like, without the RPG elements being overpowering. I never needed a guide to spec up my characters in those Bethesda games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Yeah. Elden Ring is a seriously difficult game. What class are you playing? I have a few characters but seem to be doing the best with duel wield bleed builds and MagSorc staff builds. Following Sorc/Staff builds online really really helped.

My best is a level 135 Intelligence build. I seem to have much much better success with this build than any others.

I have not yet gotten to fight Melania but I can say for certain that the Radahn boss fight is absolutely the most epic boss fight I can remember in any game since the 80s. Was a true masterpiece.
I'm going with the astrologer build. I read an article a few days ago where the guy said that even though Elden Ring doesn't have difficulty levels, using a mage character made the game very easy. The problem for me was running out of spell points quickly and some of the enemies are just too quick. I finally started watching a few YouTube videos and just restarted a new game with the same astrologer build. This time things were a little more manageable but I still have a long way to go before I can fight with enemies as I sneak around a lot to avoid them.

But it's like how is any newbie supposed to know all the locations of these various spells, weapons, and things in order to build a strong character? It's just not that intuitive to me especially since the game itself is so hard and can't just free roam all over the map looking for items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 12:41 PM

35,198 posts, read 31,539,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
I finished my replay of the OG Final Fantasy VII.

This was a nice revisiting for me. ATB battle system again, which I love. Game progression was good and didn't feel redundant. The damage limit breaks are great; they're very powerful and useful with each character having their own setups and animations. Magic and other useful skills are handled via the materia system. What I liked most about it is that when a materia is mastered (maxed), a new version of that materia gets spawned and the player gets to keep the mastered copy, too. (Ex: Restore materia has Cure 1, 2, and 3, so you grind to build to Cure 3, then acquire more AP to master it completely and that spawns a new copy of a Restore materia.) All you have to do is get the first copy of a materia and grind it to mastery, then keep grinding newer copies for as long as you like to grind 'em, all without having to locate or buy newer versions of them from a shop.

Music is scored by series composer Nobuo Uematsu, with
"One-Winged Angel" played during the final battle with Sephiroth being the most notable track, although I lowkey just as much like
"Fight On!" for the other main boss fights,
"Cosmo Canyon," and
"Listen to the Cries of the Planet" in particular due to how impactful and foreboding that track is at that point in the story - clearly something major is about to go down in the North Cave.

This game was also known for pioneering cutting edge CGI cutscenes as a gaming standard, plus the at-the-time wow factor of the summon animations. While those are not as impactful today, they're still there in all their glory.

So, yeah, I slow cooked this replay as I wanted to take in all of the story elements to try and fully understand them. I got a refresh on the Cloud and Sephiroth connection, Jenova, Hojo, Aerith's story arc, Cloud and Tifa's backgrounds, how Barret finds himself in Avalanche, etc. Even after all these years, Final Fantasy VII left me wanting to pick up the controller and play it, even if I was only able to get in an hour or two a day of gaming. Although, more FFVII-related content will be headed my way: I plan to hit Remake and Rebirth back to back sometime in the latter half of 2024. Unless the Whispers (arbiters of fate) have something to say about that. Till then.
I didn't know the OG FFVII was on the PSN Plus subscription until last week. I platinumed the game yesterday.

It really does hold up very well. I basically sped run it for the platinum because I've played it so many times, but I platinumed VIII as well earlier this year, and I think this playthrough of VII puts it just a little above VIII for my favorite FF now.

I played Remake when it came out, then played most of it again when I got my PS5 for the Yuffie DLC. I'd like to platinum Remake and finish Crisis Core before Rebirth comes out, but I got sucked into BG3 after I finished VII yesterday.

Old 11-02-2023, 03:53 PM

3,558 posts, read 3,755,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I didn't know the OG FFVII was on the PSN Plus subscription until last week. I platinumed the game yesterday.

It really does hold up very well. I basically sped run it for the platinum because I've played it so many times, but I platinumed VIII as well earlier this year, and I think this playthrough of VII puts it just a little above VIII for my favorite FF now.

I played Remake when it came out, then played most of it again when I got my PS5 for the Yuffie DLC. I'd like to platinum Remake and finish Crisis Core before Rebirth comes out, but I got sucked into BG3 after I finished VII yesterday.
Very nice. I had a digital copy of FFVII on my PS3 that I downloaded years ago. I still have my original copy of the 3-disc release, but no PS1 console (someone else in my family has it I believe). That era of FF games with the ATB systems is my favorite, and I know with FFXII, which I will get to eventually, is when the series starts to move away from turn-based battle systems. And also, I know there will be many changes in the FFVII remakes, so I wanted to get more background on the nuances of the original story in particular before playing the newer releases. The FF games can be a bit convoluted as they do slow reveals throughout the entire game, with lots of interweaving substories.

I downloaded Final Fantasy VIII for my PS4 on Monday and I'm seven hours into it. I'm playing it for the first time ever. The junction system took a bit to get used to, but I think I have it down now. There are some elements to the GF learning that were also in X-2 that I played recently. The draw system is sort of like having a steal command, which is always one of my favorite skills used to gain items.

I was thinking about adding Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion at some point as well, but I watched the trailer for it and it doesn't look that appealing. Maybe the gameplay makes up for it? Or maybe I will play the original. I dunno.

For Remake I will be able to add the Yuffie DLC for the PS5 release. Heck, right now I have yet to add a PS5. Gotta lot of catching up to do.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:52 PM

4,588 posts, read 5,468,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm going with the astrologer build. I read an article a few days ago where the guy said that even though Elden Ring doesn't have difficulty levels, using a mage character made the game very easy. The problem for me was running out of spell points quickly and some of the enemies are just too quick. I finally started watching a few YouTube videos and just restarted a new game with the same astrologer build. This time things were a little more manageable but I still have a long way to go before I can fight with enemies as I sneak around a lot to avoid them.

But it's like how is any newbie supposed to know all the locations of these various spells, weapons, and things in order to build a strong character? It's just not that intuitive to me especially since the game itself is so hard and can't just free roam all over the map looking for items.
I had to go double check my save file. I am level 135 Astrologer build with 80 in Intelligence. Gotta say, the best thing to do is follow some of those tutorials on youtube. That's how I got so far in the game. It really really helps with not only the fun factor, but keeps you interested and motivated to play.

Old 11-04-2023, 08:01 PM

29,540 posts, read 22,833,084 times
Quote:
I had to go double check my save file. I am level 135 Astrologer build with 80 in Intelligence. Gotta say, the best thing to do is follow some of those tutorials on youtube. That's how I got so far in the game. It really really helps with not only the fun factor, but keeps you interested and motivated to play.
I've been reading guides and watching online videos and it's helped a lot. Especially rune farming.

Now at least I can progress through the various areas.

Old 11-06-2023, 07:35 AM

35,198 posts, read 31,539,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
Very nice. I had a digital copy of FFVII on my PS3 that I downloaded years ago. I still have my original copy of the 3-disc release, but no PS1 console (someone else in my family has it I believe). That era of FF games with the ATB systems is my favorite, and I know with FFXII, which I will get to eventually, is when the series starts to move away from turn-based battle systems. And also, I know there will be many changes in the FFVII remakes, so I wanted to get more background on the nuances of the original story in particular before playing the newer releases. The FF games can be a bit convoluted as they do slow reveals throughout the entire game, with lots of interweaving substories.

I downloaded Final Fantasy VIII for my PS4 on Monday and I'm seven hours into it. I'm playing it for the first time ever. The junction system took a bit to get used to, but I think I have it down now. There are some elements to the GF learning that were also in X-2 that I played recently. The draw system is sort of like having a steal command, which is always one of my favorite skills used to gain items.

I was thinking about adding Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion at some point as well, but I watched the trailer for it and it doesn't look that appealing. Maybe the gameplay makes up for it? Or maybe I will play the original. I dunno.

For Remake I will be able to add the Yuffie DLC for the PS5 release. Heck, right now I have yet to add a PS5. Gotta lot of catching up to do.
I'm working my way through Remake again. I played it on my PS4 when it came out, then played it again in 2021 when I got my PS5. I somehow ended up with two PSN accounts over the years, and the trophies are on the account that isn't my main one.

I'm planning on platinuming it. I'm only about three hours in, but I don't like the two playthroughs thing, so will just skip everything in the hard mode run. Yes, Remake takes liberties with the original story, but it really fleshes out Midgar in a way the original just didn't have the technology or time to do.

I bought Crisis Core and am maybe a third of the way through it. I don't plan on platinuming it - it's not mainline, lots of trophies are missable, and I find the combat kind of squirrelly. The game is fun, it's interesting backstory, but not critical IMO.

Old 11-06-2023, 05:51 PM

3,558 posts, read 3,755,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I bought Crisis Core and am maybe a third of the way through it. I don't plan on platinuming it - it's not mainline, lots of trophies are missable, and I find the combat kind of squirrelly. The game is fun, it's interesting backstory, but not critical IMO.
I will look into playing Crisis Core at some point. Like you wrote, it is not mainline, although after playing the original FFVII, I had forgotten how important Zack is to the setup of the stroyline, even though he isn't a playable character and his existence is mostly slowly revealed in flashbacks. And Crisis Core is supposed to be cannon for him I believe. I have read his role is greatly improved in Remake as well, so I will at least give the game a shot as an "add-on" after I finish, or try to finish, all of the mainline games and Remake and Rebirth.

Last edited by Free-R; 11-06-2023 at 06:58 PM..

Old 11-07-2023, 11:03 AM

Been up all night and this morning playing Elder Scrolls Online. They recently released a new update that greatly improves QOL in the game with Grand Master Crafting Tables so I have been taking advantage of it. Definitely lit a fire to heavily get back into the game and I am having a blast.

I am nearing CP Level 1200 and just love how the devs and the ESO community just keeps this game absolutely current, fun, active and worth playing.

Old 11-09-2023, 07:38 AM

43,544 posts, read 18,611,457 times
Quote:
Been up all night and this morning playing Elder Scrolls Online. They recently released a new update that greatly improves QOL in the game with Grand Master Crafting Tables so I have been taking advantage of it. Definitely lit a fire to heavily get back into the game and I am having a blast.

I am nearing CP Level 1200 and just love how the devs and the ESO community just keeps this game absolutely current, fun, active and worth playing.
That's my #1 game now..ESO.

Played most of the weekend to get all the achievements to buy that witch's home for myself.

Old 11-09-2023, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That's my #1 game now..ESO.

Played most of the weekend to get all the achievements to buy that witch's home for myself.
Cool. If you play on PC/NA server send me a friend invite - @monklohan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games