Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 09:16 PM

688 posts, read 899,471 times

Advertisements

FINAL FANTASY XV - Battle Gameplay First Look (E3 2013) - YouTube

Being more of a fan of old school Final Fantasy games, I can't really say I'm much impressed. The graphics look really good, but these new battle systems are just driving me nuts. I'm a huge fan of the ATB turn-based system and always will be. I don't like the idea of playing a Final Fantasy and feeling like I'm playing God of War, Devil May Cry, Assassin's Creed or something of the like.

Just a first impression though. I need to see a lot more content to form a valid opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,494,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post

Being more of a fan of old school Final Fantasy games, I can't really say I'm much impressed. The graphics look really good, but these new battle systems are just driving me nuts. I'm a huge fan of the ATB turn-based system and always will be. I don't like the idea of playing a Final Fantasy and feeling like I'm playing God of War, Devil May Cry, Assassin's Creed or something of the like.

Just a first impression though. I need to see a lot more content to form a valid opinion.

I am not sure your opinion will change much. My wife is not happy about the game play either.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:55 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,077,226 times
I'm also a huge fan of the old school final fantasies but I think XV looks pretty good. I'm going to try and approach the game without comparing it to its predecessors and judge it on its own merits but I'm sure it'll be difficult.

I'm actually playing through VII again at the moment (just got to the city of the ancients) and I've been trying to picture everything that would go into it if they were to ever remake it. There are a lot of little things that you don't think of such as when Cloud and gang get captured by the Shinra after rescuing Aeris. Red XIII walks in in handcuffs with the rest of them but that wouldn't work with modern day graphics and animation. How would he walk? So a remake would have have some solders dragging him in on a leash and muzzle or something. Little things like that are all over the game and its given me a new perspective on the game.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:00 PM

688 posts, read 899,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I'm also a huge fan of the old school final fantasies but I think XV looks pretty good. I'm going to try and approach the game without comparing it to its predecessors and judge it on its own merits but I'm sure it'll be difficult.

I'm actually playing through VII again at the moment (just got to the city of the ancients) and I've been trying to picture everything that would go into it if they were to ever remake it. There are a lot of little things that you don't think of such as when Cloud and gang get captured by the Shinra after rescuing Aeris. Red XIII walks in in handcuffs with the rest of them but that wouldn't work with modern day graphics and animation. How would he walk? So a remake would have have some solders dragging him in on a leash and muzzle or something. Little things like that are all over the game and its given me a new perspective on the game.
I generally do judge them based on their own merits, but I can absolutely say that if it were a modern twist on the old school ATB system, I would be much happier. I'm a turn and command type of guy, not necessarily a Devil May Cry guy when it comes to my traditional RPGs.

I'm definitely going to have interest in the game, but from what it looks like, this may be the end of my preordering franchises. I was burned on Diablo 3. I was burned on SimCity. I'm not going to get burned on FFXV. I'm going to need to see a lot of content and user reviews to help my decision.

In my opinion, SE should have just made this it's own series and given Final Fantasy fans it's roots back. Unfortunately it seems they just slapped a series number on it to gain more publicity.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:05 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,294,381 times
I like the way it looks and really don't care about the removal of the ATB system.

As I've argued in another forum, the Final Fantasy series has been moving towards a real-time system.

Granted I'd still like to see some strategy too, but something like a Mass Effect/FFXII/Devil May Cry hybrid system would be awesome.

I don't want to see a clone of those games, but something different and innovative. The facts are, turn based systems are getting old and the series is carried on it's story, art and character development. The mechanics of the game (sans things like summons and the spells) were never really stellar.

At one time, yes, Square's turn based system was innovative and in stark contrast to Western games. Now they've fallen behind and need to start innovating again.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:26 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,946,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post

I love the ATB system but unfortunately it's most likely gone for good. Still might try this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games