Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:48 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,918,200 times

Advertisements

Final Fantasy XIII. Apparently letting the game *essentially* play itself in battles and a super-linear story (and a snoozefest, IMO) makes for the best selling Final Fantasy title to date? I disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 01:59 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,312,331 times
Max Payne 3..Visuals were great, but the gameplay simply sucked, esp entering and exiting cover. Also, long load times, way too many cutscenes, etc. I was disappointed, because I played the heck out of MP 1&2 back in the day and was looking forward to MP3. I didn't even finish the game and luckily I didn't buy it new and I could still return it for somthing else.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 PM

16,907 posts, read 16,146,358 times
I've spent untold thousands on disappointments! I could never list them all, especially in a post or two!

For starters:

PC: Rome.....Empire Earth.....all of the Tomb Raider series.....Quake 4.

Game Cube: Need for Speed: Underground....Turok: Evolution....Star Wars: Rogue Leader

Old 02-03-2013, 11:22 AM

874 posts, read 1,660,843 times
Pokemon Conquest was a big dissapointment. I love strategy RPG's, but it was just bland and not all that exciting.

I'm hoping Fire Emblem: Awakening will be decent once I get a Nintendo 3DS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
Final Fantasy XIII. Apparently letting the game *essentially* play itself in battles and a super-linear story (and a snoozefest, IMO) makes for the best selling Final Fantasy title to date? I disagree.
As far as FFXIII goes, I like it so far, but can definitely understand the criticism. While I actually enjoy the battle system (althought it took some getting used to) and find the story to be slow, but engaging, I wish they had opened up more of the game quicker in terms of the roles and being able to change your party leader.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:09 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,942,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
Wow, yes! I forgot this one in my list. This game was probably my biggest letdown of this entire generation.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:50 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,071,224 times
Final Fantasy has been a letdown to varying degrees ever since the big 3 left Square after FF9. Sakaguchi, Uematsu, and Amano made that series great. When they left, the entire series lost its way and felt "off" for all of us old school Final Fantasy snobs lol.

IMO, the characters felt repeated and they became super annoying with the exception of XII but that game was developed by the team that did Tactics. The music changed from from Uematsu's beautiful folk and orchestral arrangements to pop, rock and techno, and perhaps most importantly, they lost Sakaguchi's masterful character development and plot/story arches.

When they left, the series went from labors of love to a money making machine all the while forgetting that it became a money making machine because they were such good labors of love.

Final Fantasy X would have been okay had Titus not been such an annoying, whiny little... and don't get me started on FFXIII's characters. I wish I could throw Hope and Vanille off a cliff and never look back.

Last edited by Adric; 02-04-2013 at 12:21 AM..

Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,534,294 times
Assassins Creed Bloodlines! That game was really broken in many ways.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,364,855 times
Sim City 4.

I also bought into 3 MMOs that let me down: Warhammer, Aion, and Guild Wars 2. Man was I disappointed.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,894,608 times
Driver: San Francisco

After the original Driver game you could get out your car, shoot, steal other cars, swim, and had safehouses. Sounds like GTA a little bit but in open world games these days that's the norm. After they made the games with more and more things to do. They take a step waayyyy back with this one. You have to shift into another persons body in order to control their car. But you can't get out the car by any means, or do any of the other things previously mentioned. Because your actually in a coma and don't know it so your really just dreaming all of this. Some people may like it, I took it back to Best Buy the next day.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:28 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,633,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Driver: San Francisco

After the original Driver game you could get out your car, shoot, steal other cars, swim, and had safehouses. Sounds like GTA a little bit but in open world games these days that's the norm. After they made the games with more and more things to do. They take a step waayyyy back with this one. You have to shift into another persons body in order to control their car. But you can't get out the car by any means, or do any of the other things previously mentioned. Because your actually in a coma and don't know it so your really just dreaming all of this. Some people may like it, I took it back to Best Buy the next day.
I actually do like Driver: SF but it does get a bit repetitive. Also, some of the tasks seem damn near impossible. I don't mind a challenge but for some of them, you just have to be too perfect. I think they especially did a good job on the soundtrack, it has a good 70's feel just like the game does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games