Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:40 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times

Advertisements

Been playing for about 30 hours or so thus far and I still feel like I haven't scratched the surface. There is a TON of stuff to do, the main draw and best part of the game is that there's so much to do. Lots of quests and caves/dungeons/forts to explore, and they're generally pretty fun, they really didn't fluff up the content with filler quests like a lot of games do.

The worst part hands down is the clunky melee combat, it's stiff and looks crappy and isn't much fun but you still have to do it a lot. Magic is a lot of fun, especially spells like reanimate corpse which lets you bring a dead enemy back to life and it starts helping you out, pretty creative. Music is great. Graphics are decent but not great for a 2011 game, but they're good enough. NPC dialogue is generally decent.

Overall it's a LOT like Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, just in a fantasy setting rather than a realistic postapocalyptic/satirical setting. It's practically like a mod of Fallout 3.

Oh, and the menu interface is fine with a 360 gamepad on pc. Not perfect but it works ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 09:21 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
As mentioned, there is fast travel. Quest locations are in and mostly work, but for some quests they are not enabled and/or they point in the completely wrong direction. Not having them for certain quests might seem intentional, but having them point to the wrong location seems like a bug. No surprise there. Archer is a mixed bag. It's extremely useful because the terrain is easily exploitable. You can sit back in 100% safety and plink away at tough mobs with impunity. Being a console game, it's not surprising that there's no physics, aka easy mode. Just put your cross hair close to the target and you will hit. You do have to lead; however, since most mobs are too stupid to strafe, that is only infrequently necessary.

Dragon fights are my biggest wtf. I don't get why they're even in the game. From time to time, they just seem to occur. They involve walking around until it lands and then smacking it with a big sword a dozen times or so. Very anti-climactic. Sometimes you get a blood dragon which at least makes you pop a fire resist potion and a few health pots, but really the first dragon fight is the only difficult one and that's mostly because your completely suck.

Last edited by Malloric; 11-20-2011 at 09:37 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 12:19 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I have the last two from the series and have spent no more than 20 combined hrs in playtime.

Realized I am just not made for these types of games.

"Hello Outlander, what can I do for you today?"
"Here, take this rat meat to Ladigean Chernopoli and he will give you a book. Bring that book to me".

UGH. Boring.
Man was I ever so wrong about this game. Its GREAT!! Hated it for levels 1-4 but once I got to 5 I just could not stop playing this game. Game of the Year for sure.

I dont know what it is, but I had to force myself to play this to find out what all the hoopla was about and Im glad I did. What a spectacular game! Love every second of it.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:23 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,725,665 times
With close to 40 hours of Skyrim behind me, I have to ask: am I the only one that finds dragons too easy ? So far I killed 19 or 20, only 3 were "named" dragons, the rest were random encounters. Once I fought two at a time.
When they fly around I shoot them with my "flawless dwarven bow of doing awesome amounts of damage" (custom enchanting ftw). When they land, I bash them with my "ebony sword of doing even more dmg". They're not challenging at all! The tougher ones have a quite potent breath attack but it didn't take me long to find a whole set of footwear, one for each damage source, providing 40-50% protection. That and 2 light shields (protection from fire and protection from frost) in my backpack and I'm completely immune to these beasts... If only they'd actually attack more with their tails etc. when they realized the breath weapons were useless, that might have been interesting.
So far though there are bandit leaders that are more challenging ...

Old 11-21-2011, 11:53 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Yep dragons are generally pretty easy, just wait until they land and then hit them with arrows or firebolt spells. They seem to be the one enemy that is really vulnerable to bows. Bandit leaders and frost trolls and cave bears are tougher enemies, not to mention giants. Dragons can be annoying when they don't land though, they just fly around making crappy-looking sudden 90 degree turns.

Leveling is pretty weird in the game, I guess enemies level with you to a degree. It's annoying how often I'll be cruising through some dungeon killing enemies with one or two melee swings then some mage or bandit highwayman comes out of nowhere and kills me with one or two hits. I've smithed-up my heavy armor a bit to try and make myself more durable but this still happens. I'm playing on adept. Ice form is good for freezing these tough enemies and making them fall over to give you a bit more breathing room to kill them off.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:20 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
So, what are the poor folks on consoles who don't have console commands doing? Thus far, I've had to setstage on two quests and run in and out of zones spastically. Those claw doors in particular. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I generally like puzzles. But these aren't puzzles. Oooh, I know what will be extra extraneously secure? We'll make a door that requires a key. And a password, too. And then we'll write the password on the key! Brilliant!

Lamest idea ever, and then on top of that, it doesn't even work and you have to run in and out of the zone.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,725,665 times
Despite all the bug reports, I haven't noticed any serious ones. The occasional crashing is irritating but it's not that big a deal since as a pc gamer I'm used to constantly quicksaving :P The other thing that was just as annoying as it was hilarious was an arrow that hit my khajit straight in the heart and didn't disappear. I was running around with an arrow sticking out of my chest for several in game weeks and no one seemed to mind
As for the claws, well... I don't mind them, though I agree calling them a puzzle would be a bit of a stretch They're not the worse though, there's a dungeon (on the Companions quest line iirc, one where you find a piece of some werewolf totem) that has 4 levers you need to correctly set. The problem at first doesn't seem that hard as 4 levers , 2 position each, only have a handful of solutions.. the problem is, for this to work you have to close the door behind you half a dungeon earlier. It had to use the biggest cheat tool of all - google - to solve this one.
Anyway, if you're exploring Skyrim on PC, why not check out the 11 best Skyrim mods, by PC Gamer. Especially the last one which turns the in game map into a google map thing, complete with streetview, seems interesting. I haven't installed it yet though, "finding a way up that damn mountain" still seems fun to do So far.
Also if you're arachnophobic, there's a mod that turns these hideous spiders into bears. Which makes sense I guess, since the spiders in this game are so well done, I usually take them out from a distance as they creep me out
Yac.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Glad I'm not the only one who was like D: regarding the spiders.

I just picked up the game Sunday evening (found a used copy in mint condition!) so I haven't even gotten to Whiterun yet. Too busy running around and doing everything else. Getting hit by a giant really early in the game made me laugh so hard. Also found a vanishing deer. Here's to hoping I don't get the 9mb save file problem...

Old 11-22-2011, 01:34 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Just saw some videos that you can be a werewolf or a vampire... pretty sweet... Can't wait to go Beast mode

Old 11-24-2011, 01:31 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Just over 50 hours in. I'm still very much enthralled with the game overall. However, I do have some issues (xbox360): periodically, when bringing up the menu it will pause for 5+ seconds. Does this while usuing the wait feature also. I turned off the autosave at menu option to see if it would help, it did not. Leveling up smithing and enchanting is far too easy. One could simply craft entry level items for cheap, over and over, and level up at the same rate to 100 skill. Bad design decision on that. Also, thus far I've run into one huge quest bug where a vital npc suddenly dies, not allowing for quest completion, and it prevents a subsequent quest from starting. Apparently pc players are able to fix it with a console command. Console players are just screwed. Seriously, they need to patch this game stat.

Despite the bugs though, I still cannot get enough of this game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games