Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:56 AM

118 posts, read 285,660 times

Advertisements

Getting along in Vermont is all about lowering your expectations. I know a guy who owns his own business but still works at a ski shop in the winters (for probably $10/hr or so) and he thinks, in his own words, he has it pretty good. He's happy. I worked at a ski shop when I was young, the same ski shop in fact, and I was not happy. I would be embarrassed if I still worked at the place I worked as a teenager. I expected more of myself and have worked hard to achieve what I desired. The modest Vermont economic life is not satisfying for me. For other, perhaps it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 12:12 PM

69 posts, read 187,857 times
I'm not going to be snarky about it (what for?) but I think the OP probably works via telecommute, which makes it easy to relocate without having to hunt down a job. I do that myself now, building my reputation as a web content developer online and nearly making what I was when I was traditionally employed, but with FAR less stress. Also makes it easy to live where you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I appreciate you trying to enlighten people but they have to figure it out themselves...I know I did.

And you're a native, not a 'flatlander.'

The OP has to understand there are a few niche jobs...the rest...well, I have yet to see them and YES it has gotten MUCH worse since 2008....

My over 60 neighbor got squeezed out of a 'good' job recently. Can't find a thing. (good meaning $12/hr)....this is the norm now...unless you know someone or you are farmer or something. It's a hard scrabble life for many people here.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:30 PM

986 posts, read 2,340,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
DC metro does. And they pay $$$$$.
DC metro is also not the least bit cheap. I know people who live there in VA who are pretty well off and they still rent because the housing costs are ridiculous.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 AM

15 posts, read 32,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyshadow
Any input on living, a quiet life in Proctor, VT? Seems like a "town that was", quiet....
yet, close to much! A "pretty little town" (?)
Proctor is similar, but MORE rural than, Chester, Vermont.
Chester is a great little town. Has a Jiffy Mart, a hardware, bookstore, small quaint shops, "The Green", etc... Is 7-10 minutes to a Grocery Store, Dollar Store, McD's, etc... Yet, the town itself feels, and is, a bit rural. Chester is about 45 minutes north of Brattleboro. It is small and quiet... but has good schools! Grammar, Middle / High School. About 10-15 minutes to Interstate I-91, skiing, bigger stores, etc... 20 minutes to WalMart.
Chester is a great place to escape and raise the kids in a serene rural environment, but is near enough to the basics.
Good Luck

Last edited by vter; 01-28-2013 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: moving company mention
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont