Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:53 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,219 times

Advertisements

News story today..............

Denied:1up! Software ()

Interesting.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 11:41 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,558 times
Cool

Old 02-02-2010, 03:12 PM

I think this is pretty interesting in the sense the NEK ,and particularly Newport has been hit with some recent employment “struggles” and could seriously use the uplift that 200 newly employed people will bring.

Granted many of the jobs will require specialties not found in great supply in the Newport area, however there will be some job creation in support of the business as well as the building effort. Additionally the folks they bring to the area to fill the skill sets not readily available in Newport will need housing, will pay taxes, will buy goods and services.

If you do some back of the napkin math 200 jobs @ $40-50K average will bring in $5M+ per year to the local economy, that is a good increase for a small place like Newport.

Last edited by Logs and Dogs; 02-02-2010 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: because

Old 02-02-2010, 03:21 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
I like Bill Stenger. We need more of him around.
Great news for the Newport area for sure.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:42 AM

281 posts, read 1,237,828 times
It is great for the area and a feather in Bill Stengers cap.However I wouldn't count on this facility opening anywhere near on schedule. This is an area that has fought bitterly over opening a Walmart or other type box store for at least 10 years.Change is always proposed and never completed.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:23 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,935,813 times
I haven't read anything to suggest that the state government and the Newport city council are anything other than very supportive of this plan. The proposed bio tech plant is to be situated, at least for the time being, in an existing building - the former Bogner plant where ski apparel was once manufactured. It's away from the center of town with quite a bit of open land surrounding it. Parking and traffic shouldn't create any additional problems. The structure was built in the late 70s or early 80s and is actually quite modern - at least from outside appearances.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:39 AM

If they fight this one, it very well could be the final nail in the coffin for the Newport economy as it spins in a death spiral towards bleakness and irrelevance. People can’t complain on one hand about having no jobs available and no one to support the tax base and then fight the few companies that can actually do something about it.

This should be very good news for Newport and they surrounding area. Now if they can just keep the area looking and “behaving” like the NEK always has we should be good to go.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:01 AM

14 posts, read 28,802 times
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I haven't seen anything in the news about this lately. Is the biotech company still coming to Newport? Anybody in the area know if they're moving forward with the building/renovations?

Old 12-18-2011, 07:29 PM

281 posts, read 1,237,828 times
One year since this thread last got bumped and still no Korean Biotech company and no construction on Korean Biotech company. I think it is still supposed to come here and provide about 200 jobs but I am glad I have not tried to hold my breath waiting because obviously I'd be dead. What is still more important and seems currently dead is a Walmart or Target for the Newport area.At the time Wal-Mart wanted to come in they were basically told F-off and now that there is more support than say 5 years ago Wal-Mart has returned the F-Off.
Oh Jay Peak did put in a nice year round indoor waterpark that just opened and alot of things are going on but these are low paying jobs and many are seasonal.The biotech plant would provide higher paying jobs but we wait, and wait and wait....

Old 12-18-2011, 08:11 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,935,813 times
I did read something in the local press a few months ago that stated it is still going to happen. I can't recall the details, but another medical manufacturer is also planning to move to Newport to be closer to the bio tech operation. Apparently, Jay Peak's Bill Stenger is involved as well and the EB-5 visa program, which allows foreigners to invest heavily in projects such as this. That's how Jay Peak got all their new stuff built.

I drive by the proposed location a few times each week and haven't seen anything yet to indicate that they're gearing up for business. But I'll take a closer look next time I go that way as the building is hidden from the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont