Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2006, 11:07 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,521,165 times

Advertisements

I am a licensed clinical social worker who is thinking of relocating to Brattleboro, Vermont.

Can anyone address issues such as pay scales, attitudes towards social workers and/or psychotherapists, private practice issues, licensing issues, and, generally, the ability of social workers to make a decent living?

I am also interested in any social problems in the Brattleboro area that are other than the ones seen everywhere. What kind of problems do social workers and therapists have to face that would be different from, say, those in New York? (One thing I can think of is rural social work issues.)

I have heard generally, good things about social work in Vermont. I read on this forum, once, that Vermont is great for social work. Also, I have been in touch with a few Brattleboro practitioners, who speak positively about living and working in the area.

I would guess that because Vermont is so liberal, there would be good social services.

Generally, I have read lots of complaints, sometimes very bitter ones, about Vermont's lack of jobs, low pay and high cost of living. Is this also true for social workers, or is social work a happy exception?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 09:16 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,938,888 times
a nonprofit organization program coordinator in philly who loves Vermont and spends lots of vacation time there, I had hoped to move my family up there but the lack of even Social Service jobs--except the Brattleboro Retreat, lack of affordable housing, high costs of living all make it harder to consider a permanent move there.

I love VT and as an Multiracial family-I being black, my wife white(and a native of NH, VT and NY) and adopting a Chinese daughter, we wanted a place that was accepting of our differences-but we will have to forgo that for more affordable living in some place like SC or NC or Texas.

I wonder why a more progressive place doesnt offer more affordable housing, jobs ?

Old 12-27-2006, 11:08 AM

439 posts, read 729,171 times
Housing in New England is expensive- but outside of Boston and SW Connecticut near NYC not prohibitively so.

New England's economy does not have new migratory numbers that 'hot' regions like the SW and SE do- therefore economic growth is slower. Nor does it have the mega size of NYC or the government jobs of the DC area.

The region has some areas of growth, the Boston area and parts of Connecticut- but it cannot compete with the aforementioned areas above in the realm of robust economic growth.

The good news is that when those other areas cool off, New England will remain relatively unscathed.

New England cannot compete with new residents as a catalyst for economic growth as other areas, or for a warm sunny climate, and manufacturing growth. It's primary capital is 'ideas' and that perhaps will be very important in years to come.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:14 PM

3,487 posts, read 9,470,758 times
When I lived in VT, I found most of the problems with Vermont not being able to produce jobs had to do with Vermont being very anti-growth through restrictions in development. You can't lump all of New England together, as VT is a very different animal than CT or Mass.

This unspoiled quality of VT is a catch 22, as part of the beauty of VT is that it is so unspoiled. I know that is the main reason I loved it so much. Walmarts aren't on every corner. You can drive hundreds of miles and not find a Taco Bell or McDonalds. The problem is that being unspoiled equals million dollar companies not being able to come in and set up shop, providing the well paying jobs.

Like many people, I loved (and still love!) VT. It just wasn't feasible to stay due to the lack of professional jobs.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:46 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,204,639 times
Have you checked in with http://naswvt.org/ - they may have more info than the board.

I did work for an agency and run another in Western Massachusetts, but even then we had only a hand full of social service jobs to spread among several dozen highly qualified professionals in a tri-county area.

If someone lost a job, or if funding got cut, it was real difficult to stay afloat.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:45 AM

I have checked naswvt.org (National Association of Social Workers, Vermont chapter) and, as of yesterday, there were no local jobs listed. I have been checking regularly for months, and I did get a good informational contact from them.

Does anyone know what it is like to work at the Brattleboro Retreat?

Old 12-30-2006, 04:52 PM

9,567 posts, read 11,348,676 times
I've had better luck with www.careerbuilder.com regarding job alerts. Monster has never produced much. NASW job sites in my experience have typically had very little useful info. The licensing board may have listings.
My best job leads have 90% been personal contacts.
I would look up a few SW in town via the yellow pages, make a phone call, and see if anyone would like to have coffee or do lunch. Maybe they would bring a SW/counselor/MFT etc. friend, and talk shop. A lot of people are surprisingly open. Some not.
My cousin says there is the Brattleboro Retreat, a large addictions/co-occurring disorder hospital and tx center. HCRS (Health Care and Rehab Svcs) is statewide. In Keene, Cheshire Hospital has a fairly large treatment component. Also Monadnock Family Services is there. She also suggests the VT government website.
Good luck in the search and move.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:27 PM

I'm aware of most (but not all) of the places you mentioned. I have known of Brattleboro Retreat for years, and it was one reason I considered Brattleboro several years ago. Now, it is not the deciding reason but it is still a factor.

Like you, I have not gotten good information from Monster or from NASW websites. I have had better luck with some other websites. Also, like you, I have done best with personal contacts.

Thank you for your input and thanks to your cousin, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: