Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 05:31 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times

Advertisements

I planned on heading to North Beach park in Burlington this weekend, but heard yesterday that the beaches on Burlington Bay (and several others all around Lake Champlain) are closed due to cynobacteria. I'm a new arrival here, but I remember being able to swim in Lake Champlain in August in years past as a repeat visitor without these kind of worries. Is this the new normal?

Been meaning to check out Lake Carmi but I think it has the same problem. Today I'm scoping out Lakes in the Northeast Kingdom, but was wondering what other lakes in northern VT I can get in the water and swim throughout the summer without having to worry about the algae.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 06:05 AM

56 posts, read 62,308 times
Crystal Lake State Park in Barton has a small, pleasant sand beach with picnic tables and lots of shade. It closed for a couple days last year because of bacteria. You can call first or check the website first to confirm that it's open.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:29 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I don't remember swimming in the lakes and ponds ever being a big thing in Vermont. Perhaps stepping over pasture patties to get to some of them was a turn-off. Half Moon Pond and Metcalf Pond used to have some swimming, but I'm not sure there is public access or how the ponds have changed over the years. Waterbury Reservoir had some swimming. There is a reason Huntington Gorge attracted (and killed) so many people. With access to a boat, there are parts of the lake that might not be affected. FWIW, I seem to remember that as kids we often got earaches after swimming. YMMV

Old 07-13-2019, 07:32 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I don't remember swimming in the lakes and ponds ever being a big thing in Vermont. Perhaps stepping over pasture patties to get to some of them was a turn-off. Half Moon Pond and Metcalf Pond used to have some swimming, but I'm not sure there is public access or how the ponds have changed over the years. Waterbury Reservoir had some swimming. There is a reason Huntington Gorge attracted (and killed) so many people. With access to a boat, there are parts of the lake that might not be affected. FWIW, I seem to remember that as kids we often got earaches after swimming. YMMV
Half Moon Pond is on private property, to my knowledge; I live down the road from there. Metcalf Pond ain't what it used to be either, although full disclosure, I haven't been there in awhile, ever since I had the displeasure of observing a very old hippy wading there in his dirty underwear (no lie). Access was only off the road that passed by, again, to my knowledge. I did go paddling there, once, though and it was nice, if small.

Out on the Champlain Islands you can find nice places to swim, although it's a trek. There's a very nice beach near St Anne's Shrine (which is practically in another country!! ) but it's worth the drive. I'd recommend going during the week when it's less crowded.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:18 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I'd forgotten the Islands. Lots of shallow water and more sand up there. After a bad experience as a kid, our family avoided it because of the huge chigger and mosquito populations. I wonder how much the area is impacted by the seaweed and stuff now.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:46 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Waterbury Reservoir. Joe's Pond. Lake Dunmore.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:51 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Great Averill Pond.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:09 PM

229 posts, read 316,717 times
In the 1990s I remember swimming in Lake Memphremagog and that was great. Didn't see anything wrong at that time!

Old 07-15-2019, 07:12 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
I just spent a week in North Hero, the water around the Champlain Islands is crystal clear. You should try Alburg Dunes State Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont