Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 06:40 PM

26,465 posts, read 46,764,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I live in Pittsburg NH at 2200 feet. I gave up on fruit bearing trees years ago.I get +5 feet on the ground of snow,last winter we got +230 inches. The snow seemed to help the roots of my trees ,however they never could recover from a summer of mid June to mid August.I now start tomato's in my greenhouse and move the pots outside mid June and then tent them all summer..A big deal if they get pink. .We eat lots of fried green tomatoes .lol
Have you seen lows in the 20’s this month so far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 09:45 PM

18,361 posts, read 26,560,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Two months later but...

How do you avoid winter kill with zone 5 fruit trees in northern Vermont? You see -30F overnight temps in January many years, right? Does it get enough sun that you don’t have a deep frost line?
A variety of factors work into that. First off some zone 5 trees are more cold hardy than other zone 5 trees but that requires trial and error to sort out. The big factor for me is a microclimate. My land is on a southern slope of a mountain. Roughly 1700 feet elevation at my orchard. The mountain's peak is about 500 or so feet above that point. The land forms a shelf in shape where my orchard is. A near vertical rise of about 6 feet from the level of my orchard's northern edge to the level of the ground above that (a natural shape which was improved somewhat and taken advantage of for a logging road built there decades ago which is now almost unusable) forms a shelf which provides a natural wind break and lots of thermal mass. The southern slope gets the sun's warmth, the topography gives me thermal mass that moderates the temperatures. The ridge above me cuts down on the intensity of north winds. I'm high enough to have the cold air sink below me instead of settling as it does in the valley below me, but low enough not to be too exposed to the wind. The site of my orchard is routinely 5 to 10 degrees warmer than the surrounding area, which is a big difference when the surrounding area hits those -30 temps as -25 can be tolerated by more trees than -30 (the difference between zone 4 and 5 really). I also get more snow than the valley and deep snow acts as an insulation. When it's real cold and snow is scarce I will add some to the base of the trees.

The southern slope causes some problems too. Southwest slope injury is a common name for when the sun warms a tree up by the afternoon, then the deep freeze of the night freezes it, causing serious injury. I paint my tree stems white up to the branches. This helps by blocking some of that heat. Warmth is helpful in what I'm doing but you want trees to remain dormant all winter. Snow pack helps with that battle. My most sensitive trees are in front of my cabin on the north side of it. They get enough sun during the summer, but the low angle of the sun in winter means they get hit by the sun less and therefore don't get prematurely warmed out of dormancy. The snow and ice keeps them dormant later on the north side of the cabin than if they were on the south side.

I may experiment in the future with wrapping some of the trees, particularly peaches and sweet cherries. The trees survive and grow well but there is winter kill of some twigs and buds on some of them. A barrier to the wind may help there.

In the Middle Ages in Europe they built extensive fruit walls to grow fruits well north of where they would have otherwise, relying on thermal mass much as my hillside provides. https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2015...n-farming.html

I'm experimenting with this idea a bit too. I have a low stone wall backfilled with soil (flowers in that bed) I'm growing some grapes against that are out of their zone at my place. I also planted a pecan tree against an old stone wall at the upper end of my orchard. Time will tell if it will survive and thrive.

100 feet below my orchard and cabin and the same trees that thrive where I planted them would die in a single winter. It took a few years and some studying it to figure out what I have.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:54 AM

5,962 posts, read 2,909,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Have you seen lows in the 20’s this month so far?
I live at 2200 feet.We dont get the early frost like the upper Connecticut River Valley.My lows have been in the low 30s " w e get a steady wind. of 10mph..The 2ed and 3ed Conn.river area have been in the low to mid 20s this month.
We get more snow and our daytime temps are lower than the valley.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:20 AM

18,361 posts, read 26,560,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I live in Pittsburg NH at 2200 feet. I gave up on fruit bearing trees years ago.I get +5 feet on the ground of snow,last winter we got +230 inches. The snow seemed to help the roots of my trees ,however they never could recover from a summer of mid June to mid August.I now start tomato's in my greenhouse and move the pots outside mid June and then tent them all summer..A big deal if they get pink. .We eat lots of fried green tomatoes .lol
There are apples, maybe some pears, and some plums that will grow there. Probably a zone 3 if I'm not mistaken. People are growing apples in Alaska, after all. There are some nurseries that specialize in fruit trees for far northern areas.

Old 09-21-2019, 02:36 PM

5,962 posts, read 2,909,774 times
Thankyou for that Imfo. however I am about done with the frustration of fruit trees.. You and I are semi close in elevation and latitude .Last year we had a dozen or more days the high was in the mid teens or more below zero. This was not when the Upper Great Plains had their cold wave.
On a side note the Tall Timbers on Back Lake in Pittsburg has twice in the past forty years have hit an unofficial negative Sixty , with a very good thermometer ,but they are not an official station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont