Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:36 PM

166 posts, read 441,531 times

Advertisements

I thought I would share some of my research on just how bad the cost of living situation is in Vermont. Many people will discuss it here but nobody ever backs it with published facts from various online resources. I made a really bad decision to relocate here without doing my research first. I am just trying to present some of the published facts to those interested in relocating here and not trying to deter anyone. It is a great are to live but with it comes a heavy financial burden. Majority of the people I have encountered here have all felt the same way and were either considering or had plans to leave.

I can't post links so you will have to cut and paste the http in.

Economy/Taxes

According to Congressional Quarterly's 2007 State Fact Finder, Vermont ranks 33rd in Personal Income from Wages and Salaries, and 10th in Cost of Living. This is not a sustainable relationship.

://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080113/FEATURES15/801130309/1030/FEATURES15]The]The gray wave is hitting Vermont: Rutland Herald Online (Editorial from the Commissioner of Economic Development.)

Economic outlook by the ALEC.

://www.alec.org/fileadmin/newPDF/Vermont.pdf (Vermont ranks last at 50)

A 2007 survey claimed that Vermonters were the least satisfied with their job in the whole nation and were the most likely to be making plans to leave

://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont#_note-34

Vermont reveunues fall flat

://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=7628665

Taxes are so bad the governor wants to lease the lottery.

://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=7624487

Housing

The median purchase price of a single-family home in Vermont in 2006 reached $197,000, an 8 percent increase from the previous year and a 97 percent increase since 1996.
A Vermont household would need an annual income of $66,000 to purchase that home. Sixty-seven percent of Vermont's households have incomes below that figure.

://www.housingawareness.org/facts.htm (read the 2007 update on the right for the full report)

One of the biggest problems- Vermonters are getting old and the young are leaving the state in huge numbers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/04/national/04vermont.html?ei=5090&en=443901397139f520&ex=1299 128400&adxnnl=1&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&adxnnl x=1167589466-Ryof870gv0DaScAVlIx4KQ]Vermont Losing Prized Resource as Young Depart - New York Times

A very detailed report of youth leaving Vermont and its consequences.

://www.thinkvermont.com/documents/nextgen/Next%20Gen%20Workforce%20Discovery%20Report%20fina l.pdf

Last edited by MTK1; 01-15-2008 at 08:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 01:25 PM

83 posts, read 266,180 times
You made some very vivid points, MTK1...

Like on old native Vt.'er once told me, after he relocated 40 years ago to the midwest: "Vt. has 7 months of winter, and 5 months of tough sleddin'..."

Couldn't add a single thing to that myself, and I can talk, when I try...

Old 01-19-2008, 01:53 PM

259 posts, read 1,324,161 times
The Republican governor's recent biennial speech at least paid lip service to most of these issues. The question is whether bipartisan actions will follow the words. Even so, incubating new industry/business is not an overnight proposition.

In the meantime, as has been discussed in other threads, pressure needs to be brought from the other direction to at least start cutting back the spending budgets at the town meeting level.

Maybe in 5 years both directional efforts, if seriously implemented, might begin to show some result.

Otherwise, Vermont will definitely become the home state for green/alt lifestyle folks sharing space with well-heeled retirees. Employment opportunities will be limited largely to retail, hospitality, education and government (unless you can bring your own virtual job when you move in).

Old 01-19-2008, 02:38 PM

83 posts, read 266,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualobserver View Post
The Republican governor's recent biennial speech at least paid lip service to most of these issues. The question is whether bipartisan actions will follow the words. Even so, incubating new industry/business is not an overnight proposition.

In the meantime, as has been discussed in other threads, pressure needs to be brought from the other direction to at least start cutting back the spending budgets at the town meeting level.

Maybe in 5 years both directional efforts, if seriously implemented, might begin to show some result.

Otherwise, Vermont will definitely become the home state for green/alt lifestyle folks sharing space with well-heeled retirees. Employment opportunities will be limited largely to retail, hospitality, education and government (unless you can bring your own virtual job when you move in).

I think all that is currently happening myself.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:42 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,239 times
I don't live in Vermont but I'm less than 15 mins away from in NH so I guess my cost of living to it is "comparable" I'm a transplant and I can say that the cost of living up north in general is astounding compared to where I lived in Fla.

The houses up north by far is WAY cheaper but they're old, all of them sure its charming but not great to invest, you buy a cheap house but put $40,000 in upgrades in it.. I saw on here the average home in Vermont is $197,000.. I left Fla becasue the housing was through the roof (at the time).. An small 2 bed house on a 1/16 of an acre went for $400,000 an up, condo's couldn't even be bought for less than $250,000.. However taxes were less. WAY less. Thats a huge turn off when you buy a $200,000 house and you have $6,000 in taxes.

The burden of winter is also a HUGE factor... It costs more to buy winter coats, boots, tires, salt, shovels, gloves, hats etc. Than a tanks tops and flip flops. I rent a small 1 bed apartment and my gas alone to heat it is $300 a month.. Plus my electric bill which is over $150 a month. Plus up here they add a service charge to your bill? Never heard of that but this month my service charge was $55 extra to my electric. In SWFL even in the dead heat of summer we're talking weeks of triple digits my electric never went over $100 with A/c running non stop..

Taxes on everything are out of control .. but we all knew that.. I can see the desire to leave, there is definetly better elsewhere if you know where to look.

Pay isn't that great, my husband can make $20,000 a year more in Fla (police officer) than up here. Which to me was surprising because we were always told pay was higher up north. Also the towns ,well most, and agencies like my husbands PD are suffering.. They can't afford the up keep of the cars, equiptment etc. There is no overtime cause they can't afford it and people suffer becasue of that. People scratch each others eyes out for a chance at an extra 4 hours of overtime.. Its sad really but thats what it comes to because they need it to survive and keep up with the bills or they'll fall under.

Its safer here, but with all the extra money you have to spend just to survive its not worth it.. You work more just to spend more.

I think its great to visit here, but unfortunatly not to live, just my opinion.. I will be moving back to Fla.. Another with a desire to leave...

Old 01-19-2008, 05:08 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
I'm sorry you have to move back to Florida. If you can get through a winter here I am sure brighter skies are coming in the Spring, Taratomsgirl.

I hope things go better for you in Florida.

I think your apartment sounds like a rip-off. We pay a 'high' rent here but it's still cheaper than in Long Island. I think if you had a better living situation you might have a more positive attitude. This has also been a bad winter 'overall' so far I have been told by locals.

I know we are finding the car using a lot more gas and until I get a job things are very tight for us. I have found so far this year ('08) a lot of the jobs 'gone' compared to a few months ago (when I didn't have a chance to work). Still I know I am going to get something decent.

Any where you move the first year is rough. I know that...I've moved enough.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:31 PM

79 posts, read 314,397 times
You are so right.... the population is aging, the younger generation is moving out - at least the ones that work for a living! VT does see an influx of people looking for a more liberal welfare system though. Which not only strains the taxpayers for welfare benefits and health insurance but also for schooling their multiple children (keep popping them out so you get more $$). And then for those that own property, but don't make a lot, the state gives them back what they paid for property taxes... and we wonder why our taxes are so high here!!

Old 01-20-2008, 09:36 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,076 times
No doubt about it times are getting tougher and so many of the references in the above posts are excellent examples of the day to day difficulties average folks experience. Add to this the unexpected repair bill or doctor visit and the reality of living check to check becomes even more stark. I have been reading up on this years Vermont tax forms and I guess it did not surprise me that certain limits for tax advantages have not been adjusted to keep pace with inflation not even considering certain other dramatic increases such as energy costs which have increased more rapidly. An example would be the threshold for income sensitivity for those that receive the prebate has not been adjusted upward. An earlier reference in a post indicated that action now could show results in five years to staunch or possibly reverse trends. The sad reality is that the legislative agenda is not on track and speaking at least for myself I don't have five more years to wait and hope.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:24 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,571 times
Vermont and New Hampshire have a totally different tax structure so - while Vermont does have it's own taxation issues to overcome - it's not fair to toss in New Hampshire's problems into the mix as well.

Vermont is never going to compete with Florida on cost of living. However, one should take into consideration other factors such as education, health and community resources available to the citizens of each state. The Morgan Quitno press named Vermont the smartest state in the nation for 2006-2007. Florida was in the middle of the pack. Over 29% of Vermont residents complete college, compared to Florida's 22%. A Floridian is also more likely to live in poverty or be the victim of a violent crime.

There are environmental qualities to consider as well. In Vermont, 1 out of 5 acres are protected or conserved. Vermont has a disproportionate amount of natural beauty. I currently live in the Roanoke, VA area and I meet many southerners down here that tell me of their own travels to Vermont, recalling towns they visited and how beautiful the area was. This is a remarkable thing considering how small Vermont is, and how few people live in the state.

If you hate winter, then by all means, move South. But take care not to exchange one insufferable season for another I lived in Florida for a year in my youth. People in general ran from air conditioned structure to another and rarely spent much time outside from about May to October. Yet head to a town like Middlebury, VT in winter and the streets are full of people on a Friday night even though the temperature dial reads 14F.

Sean

Last edited by seanpecor; 01-21-2008 at 06:36 AM..

Old 01-21-2008, 08:20 AM

259 posts, read 1,324,161 times
Come to think of it, Sean, you raise a valuable point. I am reading about 6 of these forums simultaneously as part of deciding different job prospects. None of the 6 are free of negatives.

The great economy ones such as Atlanta, Austin and Phoenix berate the crime, congestion, smog and erosion of "the original appeal" of the place.

Vermont and Maine get rapped for the inverse.

The "No place is perfect" axiom is redocumented every day in the overall website url. That's why I think it's most useful for people to post what they think would be the corrective steps to whatever they find is wrong. We simply are running out of places to "run to" and/or start things from scratch. We have to become better at remodeling.

My 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont