Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 03:10 PM

46 posts, read 63,830 times

Advertisements

Hello all:

Just wanted to start a conversation on whether if the single-payer system is implemented in Vermont would you stay or leave the state. This will impact the economy of the state and the people who live in it (me included) and I am looking to get thoughts on how this could affect living in Vermont. By no means am I trying to make this political at all; just trying to see if the change will impact the economics to a point that it would make it hard to stay or for people to relocate here. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 05:02 PM

168 posts, read 286,210 times
Good lord, for me it would be an additional incentive to move *back* to Vermont. I (optimistically, I admit) think that once people see how simple it is to have a single-payer system - and once employers wrap their heads around it and realize that they no longer need legions of internal HR people just to deal with insurance paperwork and negotiations and claims - that it'll take off like a bandit. I think.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:07 PM

221 posts, read 346,613 times
I for one plan to stay. That doesn't mean I necessarily agree or will agree with all of it, but to form that opinion I need to see the final product. Either way it won't be a game changer for me.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:49 PM

809 posts, read 999,164 times
All five of the studies agreed that single-payer could save Vermonters a half a billion over what they already spend. This would mean in effect that after paying through their taxes (payroll, income and whatever) for the care they need-- and those numbers are known-- every man, woman and child in Vermont would effectively have $800 more in his/her pocket annually.

There are a couple of knotty problems. One is that 52% of Vermonters have insurance which covers 90% or more of their costs. Any single-payer plan which does not do better than that will not get their support. A good number of our legislators are extremely naive about the power of government money to do better than little individual dribbles of private money. They are quite likely to favor something even worse than the worst aspects of Obamacare.

Another is the bugaboo of [screams] "Taxes!!!" A lot of people in this state have been trained, as have most Americans, to consider taxes evil incarnate and to regard with the utmost cynicism or indifference the political process. One of the principal actors in the upcoming legislative session recently expressed his irritation with people thinking "it's free!"

(I don't know how many others there might be like him/her in the legislature who don't understand that, like highways, medical care you don't pay for up front looks "free" to them. Unless the legislators understand the voters tag everything taxes pay for as "free," a good number of them are not going to look at changing the present inequitable tax system. After all, they don't want voters to know they've meddled with evil.)

I will certainly stay.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:43 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,525,608 times
It's going to drive out a lot of taxpayers and attract a lot of people who don't pay taxes. It won't work. We're too small to support this level of spending. And I don't trust anything Gruber had a hand in.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:24 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,540,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seion View Post
Hello all:

Just wanted to start a conversation on whether if the single-payer system is implemented in Vermont would you stay or leave the state. This will impact the economy of the state and the people who live in it (me included) and I am looking to get thoughts on how this could affect living in Vermont. By no means am I trying to make this political at all; just trying to see if the change will impact the economics to a point that it would make it hard to stay or for people to relocate here. Thanks.
I'll move TO the state.

Well off and well educated people will not leave. We are happy to pay our fair share.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:57 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,379,600 times
Already gone.
Business dissolution effective last week. Doing much better on the other side of the Connecticut River.
Once I sell a rental property i will have pulled up stakes completely.
Vermont will be but a memory.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:02 PM

73 posts, read 101,687 times
I moved to the state because of it two yrs ago. Among other things. I've lived in 5 other states and it's no better outside of VT right now. Either pay medical bills with taxes or by getting a bill from the Doc. I'd prefer taxes and by no means, there is no such thing as free health care in ANY country.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:06 PM

809 posts, read 999,164 times
A very interesting way of paying for universal health care in Vermont is starting to make the rounds.

Instead of a flat payroll tax per employee, the tax would be based on the order of magnitude in difference between the average employee's pay and the pay of the head of the company. Example: Wal-Mart, whose CEO makes 1,900+ times what the average Vermont Wal-Mart employee makes, would pay X amount per employee, while the proprietor of a country store (which industry employs far more people in Vermont than Wal-Mart does, with far smaller profits) who made only twice what the average employee makes, would pay 2/1900ths of X per employee.

The reaction of small businesses in Vermont is awaited. As I said, it's starting to get around.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:21 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,379,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
A very interesting way of paying for universal health care in Vermont is starting to make the rounds.

Instead of a flat payroll tax per employee, the tax would be based on the order of magnitude in difference between the average employee's pay and the pay of the head of the company. Example: Wal-Mart, whose CEO makes 1,900+ times what the average Vermont Wal-Mart employee makes, would pay X amount per employee, while the proprietor of a country store (which industry employs far more people in Vermont than Wal-Mart does, with far smaller profits) who made only twice what the average employee makes, would pay 2/1900ths of X per employee.

The reaction of small businesses in Vermont is awaited. As I said, it's starting to get around.
HAH! What happens when the employees get paid better than the owner, as sometimes happens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont