Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 08:44 PM

28 posts, read 27,003 times

Advertisements

We're seriously considering moving to Bennington as much for the Blue Benn Diner and Lake Paran as for its proximity to places we like. We'll be spending a couple weeks in a motel there probably from a few days before Christmas until a few days after New Year's Day. Any upcoming events during that time that we shouldn't miss? We would love to meet anyone from Bennington while we're there, particularly empty-nesters (like us), music lovers, foodies. Would be happy to buy someone a cup of coffee at the South St. Cafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 10:07 AM

150 posts, read 217,975 times
Lonnie--
Send me a pm and I'll be happy to meet with you. I work near the So St Café, and have lived in Bennington for a long, long time.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:43 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,639,069 times
Wife and I grew up, went to school and still have families in the Bennington Area. We too are empty nesters but now live in Maine. I hope that your stay is pleasant. Enjoy the area and say hello to Bennington (and North Bennington) for us.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:17 PM

18 posts, read 22,613 times
Bennington is littered with sex offenders and drugs. Most of the Prison inmates in Rutland County are from Bennington. Find a better town.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:03 AM

64 posts, read 101,699 times
nah, we've been turning the NJ cars away so the drugs and sex offender problem pretty much is gone now.

Christmas time near Bennington, you will have to double check dates, I don't know when you will be in Bennington but Hildene used to have sleigh rides with their tours if there was enough snow,

park McCullough house often had caroling or bell ringing, haven't heard if its being done this year

hoosac school has a Boars Head Yule tide pageant that varies each year in quality depending on student body abilities, but is a fun event regardless, thurs dec 11th this year I believe.

viewing the different decorated Christmas trees at the bennington museum Festival of Trees was something we often did,

Christmas time at Billings Farm is always fun too.

the towns of chester and Weston get into Christmas in a big way, always something going on in both towns around now, if they get some more snow ( over a foot melted this week there) the lights and decorations are calendar worthy photos.

the annual german Christmas market in west Townshend is this weekend, a lot happens earlier in the month, people haave less free time nearer the holiday....

oh, check the Dorset playhouse too, there usually is a Christmas play going on, nearby areas are fun filled also, for instance in Saratoga they have the Victorian stroll, everyone dresses in Victorian era clothing and strolls main street shopping, Albany and round lake haave drive thru Christmas light displays ( fee collected at least at Albany, donation really)
nearby yankee candle factory is a good stop this time of year as well, eat at chandlers and make a day of it, many nearby towns also have tree lighting, North Adams, Ma main street is usually very well done, though the town has pretty much closed its doors, newspaper closed, hospital closed, the MoCA museum keeps expanding though....go figure.

and if you are in bennington for new years the First Night celebration is often fun shopping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont