Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 04:20 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,971,372 times

Advertisements

How tiresome would a daily drive from Johnson to Stowe be? I live in the mountains of NC now and looking at towns around me, the mileage may only be 10 miles, but depending on elevation, it could be a really rough 10 miles. Looking at the difference in elevation it doesn't look bad, but I know winter can be crazy. Is this a doable drive?

Also, I've read all the threads talking about Stowe being a touristy place, not real Vermont, etc but if the drive isn't a great one, how are the Stowe schools in comparison?

Sorry for all the questions! But thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 06:04 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,965,261 times
It depends on where in Stowe you are, but you're looking at a good 30 minute drive, in good weather. The bypass through Morrisville will help a ton, I think that's opening soon so that will probably shave a few minutes off the drive. I've not done the drive in bad weather, but those roads are pretty well traveled so I would think they would be fine. Whether they get tiresome or not...that's a good question.

I don't have kids, but from my understanding, Stowe schools are pretty good. Though you will most certainly be paying for that - taxes in Stowe are very high, with a good bulk of those going towards Act 68.

I spend quite a bit of time in Stowe and it can be very irritating when it's busy, but I have met lots of great people and there is always something to do. That being said, if you need to be near Stowe, I'd definitely look into Morrisville as well - cheaper, definitely not as touristy, just a great all around community.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:31 PM

We were originally thinking we wanted to live Johnson and while finishing my degree, I figured It would be easier to pick up a part time job in Stowe. But it looks like the schools are so much better in Stowe, with more for them to do - YMCA, etc. I'm hoping to spend an extended amount of time there this summer, so I'm sure that will help, lol.

What is Act 68?

Old 09-17-2014, 06:43 PM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times
Johnson to Stowe is easy peazy and gorgeous if you take the back road. In Johnson, go down Railroad street past where the talc mine was, go up French Hill road (a little steep in one spot, but not bad), continue onto Walton Rd (actually the same road) into Morristown Corners, then turn right on Stagecoach road. It'll connect on to 100 just north of Stowe. I used to LOVE that drive. There were a couple of old foundation holes on Stagecoach Road that cried out for a home to be rebuilt there. The road is plowed and quite passable in winter.

If you go through Morrisville, the curves and slow business traffic will get on your nerves.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:22 PM

Thanks, Harry!

Old 09-18-2014, 05:19 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,965,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

If you go through Morrisville, the curves and slow business traffic will get on your nerves.
The Bypass is eliminating the drive through downtown Morrisville.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:35 PM

56 posts, read 75,540 times
We drove from Waterbury to Morrisville. I can't comment on the commute, but can make a comparison. Stowe reminded us of Blowing Rock, without the same level of money (I'm sure it's there, we just didn't see it). Also, aesthetically, it seemed like the same cluttered feel from BR to Boone, and we were glad to finally get out of it on the other side of Morrisville. You may want the amenities that brings, so maybe it's a good thing. For us it was stifling, and a real disconnect from the geography, at least on the main roads.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:23 PM

Wow! Lol, that is a perfect description. Did you go all the way up to Johnson?

I enjoy working in Blowing Rock - the financial opportunities there in any tourist / customer service type atmosphere, are abundant. I am not crazy about the attitude that comes with the tourists, but nothing is perfect.

Have you made a decision on where you and your family are going to end up?

Old 09-22-2014, 05:57 AM

56 posts, read 75,540 times
Regrettably, we didn't. We're going to try and stay for an extended time in Feb/Mar and then again in the summer, with the idea that we'll know what we want by the end of summer, and make the move in the fall. Johnson is on our list. We didn't bother going into Burlington, just Waterbury was too claustrophobic. We did like Montpelier, very much a Boone/mini-A'ville vibe. St Johnsbury reminded me a lot of Sylva. It'd be nice to be within an hour of one of those, but we'd prefer a blip on the map more along the lines of Marshall, deep within. We loved the NEK, gave us a real sense of the mountains, if on a much smaller scale.

I have to say, folks were downright chatty, and truly went out of their way. They were way more friendly than mountain people (of which I am one). Sort of took me by surprise. We did have a funny encounter on a dirt road out in Essex Co. We came across a couple from NY who were pulled over. We thought they had car trouble. Turns out their gps didn't have a signal, and they were afraid to go any further because things looked "derelict and desolate" (they didn't, just the usual trappings of working farms). After talking a bit, they said they were interested in the NC mtns for retirement, but were concerned about all the rednecks. I just about did a spit take. As we pulled away, my husband said I should have turned out my "real" accent, to give them a complete Deliverance experience.

What is Johnson like?

Old 09-22-2014, 10:37 AM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times
"As we pulled away, my husband said I should have turned out my "real" accent, to give them a complete Deliverance experience.

What is Johnson like?"

Deliverance.

It used to have a bit of a French Canadian vibe, and a lot of older folks. Not sure what it is like now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont