Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 05:42 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times

Advertisements

We stuck a homemade feeder out over our back balcony the other day. I remarked to my husband that I have not seen many birds up here since moving. In NY we had far more (or they were just visible). Our yard here in the Fall was filled with chickadees but since the late Fall I haven't seen anything except the odd woodpecker (big!) or crows.

How can I get birds to use my feeder and will I see anything else here in Eastern VT apart from crows this winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 06:10 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,868 times
Not sure how it is in your part of VT, but we've been told no bird feeders as it attracts the bears.

Perhaps some of them fly south???

Old 12-10-2007, 06:47 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,024 times
I guess it just varies from location to location. We have quite a variety of birds and my two feeders are always busy. We have a mix of fields, varied forest cover, and water sources. Also, we don't have pets like outside dogs which probably influences the amount of bird and other wildlife we have present. As far as feeders go it is true they lure bears, but in season. Come late November to March you should be safe from bears raiding the feeders. On occassion bears will leave a den during the winter, but almost always it's related to a more human source of food, namely garbage improperly stored. Another factor for birds here versus more urban and suburban locales is that they have a much greater habitat here for natural shelter and food sources. Yesterday I was out snowshoeing and saw two Cardinals a quarter mile back in the woods where I have never seen them at the house.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:09 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
I live in the Upper Valley...BEARS??? No, say it isn't so...I don't think (hope) we get bears here. I would think it is too populated.

We just put out the feeder and I know it takes a bit to attract them. I just think it is strange the 'lack' of animals in a rural area like this. In my NY backyard we had rabbits, snakes, the odd box turtle, lots of various birds.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:21 AM

Yeah, I've got tons of them down here by me as well, but we do see lots of birds up by our condo, so it might just be your area?

Old 12-10-2007, 07:42 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
We have lots of birds at our place too. Put out some Suet as well. Birds up here like sunflower seeds....we get "Meaties" at the local farm supply store. They are a bit more expensive....but the birds love it.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:59 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,024 times
The reference to bears and regions is interesting. Currently Northern NJ of all places (and not just Sussex Co, but the burbs to NYC) has a pretty good spike in bear population and by being there you have a much better chance of seeing one than here in Vt. A good friend of mine lives in Simsbury, Ct outside of Hartford and despite being on a busy road he has seen bears in his yard and also raiding the dumpsters at the nearby shopping plaza in the middle of the day. Bears adapt very quickly to population areas and the prime reason is our own fault as we leave trash, pet food, bird seed, etc out there for them. Check out some pictures and videos of bears and you will some amazing acrobatic feats such as shimming along cables to get at feeders. An interesting two I saw this year were of a bear falling out of a tree onto a trampoline and of another one where a bear was checking out a hammock. Seeing a bear in the wild is great, but a short experience since they move very fast and don't want anything to do with you. This fall we had one at the end of my driveway and I wonder if it is denning somewhere on my land as we have some good potential sites.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:40 AM

I know this past winter, with all the extra snow in VT, Stowe had a lot of bears that were emerging from hibernation very hungry...I believe it was because there was still a lot of snow on the ground, so there were quite a few people finding them on their back porches, in the bird feeders or rummaging through the garbage...

Old 12-10-2007, 08:45 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,753 times
This past summer we have had more bear activity then I can ever remember. My neighbor looked out on her porch one evening and a bear was looking at her thru her screen door....

We put the feeders back up a few weeks ago and the usual traffic is happening. It helps to have some trees near the feeders as the birds like to roost on them as they take turns hitting the feeders.

My fav are the cardinals as they look so bright with the background of whiteness. Maybe the ones Flu saw will fly over the mountain and visit us

Old 12-10-2007, 10:36 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,512 times
Default Two bird articles in VT papers

The annual Rutland County Christmas Bird Count, the 34th, is set for Dec. 29. At the national level, this will mark the 108th count.
Christmas Bird Count on tap

Veteran conservation scientists form new wildlife study center
Veteran conservation scientists form new wildlife study center: Times Argus Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont