Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 05:46 PM

35 posts, read 173,636 times

Advertisements

What's life like around the Newport for natives of the area? Summer tourists? I'm familiar with central and southern Vermont, but not the far northern tier. We will be homesteading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CottageFlourishings View Post
What's life like around the Newport for natives of the area? Summer tourists? I'm familiar with central and southern Vermont, but not the far northern tier. We will be homesteading.
Newport region and surrounding area has struggled for many years as the area has few good paying jobs. Tourism is significant up that direction with Jay Peak and Burke Mountain both in the process of expanding further. No, less in the way of Summer tourists compared to the southern regions. The NEK is a bit more isolated and off the beaten path relative to other parts of VT. However, the expression "you can't get there from here" is applicable to many areas- meaning good road connections between towns are lacking. Homesteading? The NEK also has the shortest growing season in the state so that might be something to consider as well...

Old 05-24-2013, 03:49 AM

302 posts, read 868,833 times
I was born there but left when I was young. To me it pretty much sucks. The weather is bad, no economy, isolation, etc. My uncles drive over 1.5 hours each way to get to Walmart in New Hampshire. I wouldn't want to live like that.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:22 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
I wouldn't live in Newport itself personally but you can really get away from everything in the surrounding area. Making a living is the hard part there. The job market in the NEK is seriously bad, but if it was really good the place would be a lot more crowded too. The most beautiful part of VT IMHO, and more affordable than most of the rest. Moreover, the culture is a bit different and there's less of the urban yuppy attitudes towards keeping animals, hunting, burning wood or using OHV's when needed that you find in some of the other parts of the state (there's still towns with no zoning up that way). The growing season is a bit shorter but if you could garden in Southern VT you could pull it off in the NEK too. Warm weather plants like peppers or such need to be started early and you'll want plenty of plastic sheeting to protect them from late or early frosts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: