Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 10,907 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Boulder, CO from about five years now right out of college. I have had a great time, met some amazing people, and have enjoyed the outdoor recreation here. I think it is just time to leave for a new chapter in my life and career. I am orignally from the midwest and am not interested in moving back anytime soon. I am really considering moving to Vermont. I don't know much about it except I spent a summer at Lake Winnipesake in New Hampshire and loved the people and surroundings. I know that Boulder is a tough place to beat in terms of "really all around" great place to live but could I ask for some insight into this move. It's expensive here and I know Vermont is as well but is it as much? I would like to be in a place where jobs aren't scarce?? I'm 27 and would like to buy a place in the next couple years. I love a sense of community and a place that is not known from it transit people like Boulder. A place to settle down that will continue to grow. Any comments would be great. Will I like it in VT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 03:03 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
In our searches for a place to settle down, we had Boulder up towards the top of our list...asides from the great outdoors, one of the reasons we liked Boulder was how CHEAP it was. Adding to that opinion is that we also think Vermont is expensive, so that might give you an idea of the disparity between the two when it comes to cost of living. We're coming from NYC, so we're sort of at the top of the food chain when it comes to expensive places to live, but we're aware of the high costs of living in VT...

Housing in Boulder wasn't that cheap, but I know the 'burbs around there were...and the property taxes are definitely cheaper than VT.

Some other things you might have to get used to again: Humidity, bugs in the summer, 'wet' cold winters, and not a whole lot of powder when it comes to snow!!!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:22 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtime View Post
I have lived in Boulder, CO from about five years now right out of college. I have had a great time, met some amazing people, and have enjoyed the outdoor recreation here. I think it is just time to leave for a new chapter in my life and career. I am orignally from the midwest and am not interested in moving back anytime soon. I am really considering moving to Vermont. I don't know much about it except I spent a summer at Lake Winnipesake in New Hampshire and loved the people and surroundings. I know that Boulder is a tough place to beat in terms of "really all around" great place to live but could I ask for some insight into this move. It's expensive here and I know Vermont is as well but is it as much? I would like to be in a place where jobs aren't scarce?? I'm 27 and would like to buy a place in the next couple years. I love a sense of community and a place that is not known from it transit people like Boulder. A place to settle down that will continue to grow. Any comments would be great. Will I like it in VT?
Vermont is a great state to live in. The problem is jobs, taxes and pay. What makes the cost of living so high here is what you get paid and how much you are taxed in relation to the cost of a home or apartment. You may look at the price of a home and say to yourself that's not bad at all, but factor in what you will make here and the amount of taxes you will pay and it's a different story. Don't expect to make here what you are making now. Depending on what you do for work there isn't a big supply of skilled jobs available.

You are the kind of person the state is looking to attract. We are now the second oldest state soon to be the oldest(age wise). Many or most of the young people leave to work elsewhere. If you can manage to work things out with a job and cost of living then Vermont would be a great place for you.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtime View Post
Well Burlington and many of the other towns in the area are full of transit people. I know only a few people who live in Burlington that are actually from Vermont. Most of my neighbors are metropolitan area escapees. I think there are several here on this forum. However it does seem that once the out of state people get here, many do stay. Although, I've already lost a few friends who seem to be on the endless Burlington- -Madison-Boulder- Portland- Seattle route. And I've only been here a few years. There are IBM people coming and going too.

Jobs are scarce, and its getting harder and harder to find jobs that pay over $40 k. Burlington is a hot town, it seems to be making every list of
cool,artsy, green, life quality etc. poll. There aren't a lot of places like it in the Northeast, I can think of 4 or 5.

I've been to Boulder, its a nice place,and you're near Denver, Colarado Springs, Fort Collins, Denver, the Rockies and everything else. It's a tough place to beat.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:02 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
I am pretty familiar with Boulder, first spent winter break from college in Vermont skiing out of Boulder in 1969/1970. "The hill" across from CU across Broadway was a small version of Haight-Ashbury and we enjoyed hanging out at the Dark Horse, just off Baseline. Boulder has really grown from those days but is still lots of fun to hangout.

While there are some silimilariites to Burlington and Boulder some diferences as well.

Boulder has Celestial Seasonings, Burlington has Ben & Jerry
Boulder has CU, Burlington has UVM
Both are busy places but Boulder is much more crowded and part of the fast growing Denver metroplex along the front range.
Burlington has Church St, Boulder has the mall
Both have tons of outdoor recreation outlets, Burlington has great skiing much closer.
Both are expensive as far as housing but Boulder is more expensive.
Burlington has alot of kids from NY/Ct/NJ same as Boulder
Burlington has good paying jobs but not nearly as many as Boulder.
If you like Boulder I think you would like Burlington...the job thing would be the key.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:00 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 404,124 times
Cool Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO, Burlington, VT

I am interested in keeping this thread open and would like to continue the discuss with comparing Burlington, VT and Boulder, CO. I also wouldn't mind if anyone wanted to throw Asheville, NC into the mix

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences with these cities and how they compare and contrast to one another.

This is a rough draft of kind of what I'm looking for:

Progressive, liberal, artsy, walkable, educated, racially diverse, natural beauty,

Where: Sense of community, kayaking, camping, thrift shops, charm, health food stores, politics, activism, bookstores, libraries, health: good air & water quality, low-crime, cool summers, little sun exposure

you'll find a similar love for nature, beautiful surroundings, and progressive attitude in both towns.

Quaint, Trains, steeples, churches, historical, progressive, health conscious, organic, culture, racially diverse, arts, community, activism, creeks, ponds, lakes, trails, kayaking, camping, musical concerts, arts/theater, cabins, horseback riding,

Thanks!

-Em
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: