Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 05:10 PM

3 posts, read 9,795 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am looking for a place to buy a home soon, and I'm considering Santa Paula. Here's why: we want to live on about 1-2 acres, and build a sustainable house, with a huge garden, and some chickens and goats and dogs, in an area with weather that's not too hot in the summer, and is affordable. My husband and I are both freelance in the film industry and work all over LA, but do not want to live in LA, and have no issue with commuting up to 1.5hrs (we also like that the commute into LA is on the 5 rather than the 101 cause it's way less traffic and has a carpool lane) We love Ventura, and like that it's close, and I'm from Santa Barbara and have lot of friends and family, so we like that it's less than an hour (the perfect distance so you don't get sick of eachother haha.) Now my question is, how is Santa Paula? I keep seeing all this stuff about gangs there and a terrible economy, but I have to be skeptical because it's in such a mild place. Is it really that bad? It has very low crime rates. Anyway, I just don't have any hands on experience with this place, so any and all information would be appreciated! Whats the weather/vibe like, how are the people, does it feel safe, etc. Also I love biking and hiking and eating so if there's good any of that, that helps haha. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 PM

36 posts, read 89,656 times
I was never much of a fan of Santa Paula. Its a very small, prodominately Hispanic community with a fosters freeze. I've lived in the 805 all of my life and this would be one of the least desirable cities in this area code. I would recommend areas of Moor park or camarillo. Newbury park, west lake, and parts of thousand oaks are pricey and can be very uncomfortable for minorities. Hope this helps.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 PM

7 posts, read 23,410 times
My husband works with a number of Patagonia employees who live/have lived in Santa Paula and loved it. There are very nice homes on the hillside near the hospital, a terrific artist community, lots of festivals and a nice small town feel. I have a friend who keeps a piper cub plane at the local airport and lots of people spend every first Sunday there! You can get a lot more for your money in that area than in other places, as you would imagine. Plus, you have more opportunity to own land, where it is hard to come by in other areas like Ventura, Camarillo, Carpenteria, etc. Steve McQueen's property just went pending and that was a pretty cool spot. (The house needed a bit of work though.) (Also, you may want to consider the road between Santa Paula and Ojai!) Moderator cut: Terms of service. Although you can feel free to talk about the area, you can not advertise your service as a realtor here within City Data Forum.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 05-08-2012 at 12:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County