Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 12:54 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,537,074 times

Advertisements

We have officially given up one of the last things to go on our "meat" list...poultry. We have only eaten dairy, fish and poultry for almost 8 years now. We had been very rarely eating poultry but my partner called today and claimed to be threw with it...I had already decided I was going to give it up! Our last three Thanksgivings have been without meat. It seems the older we have gotten...the easier this has been. The hardest thing is typically for our family and friends to adjust.

We started talking about our dogs' and cats' foods and wondered whether that would make us hypocrites. How do you guys handle this one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 01:05 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,843,288 times
Unless you're thinking about EATING your pets' foods, then it shouldn't be a problem. Although I know of some people that put their pets on a vegetarian diet, it isn't what nature intended for them, and they'll do better on a meat-based diet.

In fact, when choosing your pets' food, you should be looking for brands that have higher levels of meat, as opposed to ones high in corn meal, etc.

(I saw a news report a fews years back -- probably "60 Minutes" -- in which an expert said that a cat's ideal food is a mouse, and that it's too bad they couldn't just put them in cans and sell them ..... )

Old 11-28-2008, 03:46 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,537,074 times
Squeezeboxgal, "Unless you're thinking about EATING your pets' foods, then it shouldn't be a problem. Although I know of some people that put their pets on a vegetarian diet, it isn't what nature intended for them, and they'll do better on a meat-based diet."

LOL! Thanks for your well put point! We sure didn't want our dogs and cats not getting what they need based on how we feel. We still want to do the best for them.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:26 PM

5,169 posts, read 11,445,614 times
I second Squeezeboxgal's post. Ideally I would make my cats into vegetarians, but their system isn't set up to be a vegetarian... in fact it could kill them. However, I have been surviving over 20 years without consuming meat.

forum rules, please read them

Old 11-28-2008, 05:58 PM

702 posts, read 2,296,773 times
Oh boy, I've dealt with this a few times. Where I work, I'm the rogue vegetarian and get all the jokes and comments that I'm sure many veges are familiar with. In recent months, I've "cat-sat" two different cats and I get the comments like "Now, don't feed the cat lettuce and carrots" and other nonsense. Cats are naturally and purely carnivorous and to change that is detrimental to their health. Notice all the obese cats in the past two decades? Commercial cat foods are loaded with cheap fillers - corn meal, wheat, rice, potato starch. I dumped the cat food I was given for one of the cats I watched, went to a pet store, and bought a cat food that was pure meat. I also bought some roasted turkey slices, but oddly this cat refused to eat it plain, so I mixed it up with some of the canned food.

People that try to make cats into vegetarians should not have cats. Period.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:23 AM

880 posts, read 2,347,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Oh boy, I've dealt with this a few times. Where I work, I'm the rogue vegetarian and get all the jokes and comments that I'm sure many veges are familiar with. In recent months, I've "cat-sat" two different cats and I get the comments like "Now, don't feed the cat lettuce and carrots" and other nonsense. Cats are naturally and purely carnivorous and to change that is detrimental to their health. Notice all the obese cats in the past two decades? Commercial cat foods are loaded with cheap fillers - corn meal, wheat, rice, potato starch. I dumped the cat food I was given for one of the cats I watched, went to a pet store, and bought a cat food that was pure meat. I also bought some roasted turkey slices, but oddly this cat refused to eat it plain, so I mixed it up with some of the canned food.

People that try to make cats into vegetarians should not have cats. Period.
I give my cat meat based foods as well. He is huge. He is over 20 lbs, and is still bulking up for winter (he's indoors too!) At least he is a big cat to begin with, but a big part of the fattening of todays cats has to do with getting them fixed. When cats get fixed it prevents them from getting the proper hormones, and they end up with little heads and fat bodies. I understand the need to get them fixed (mine is) but its unfortunate that is can't happen a little later in life.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:40 PM

702 posts, read 2,296,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
I give my cat meat based foods as well. He is huge. He is over 20 lbs, and is still bulking up for winter (he's indoors too!) At least he is a big cat to begin with, but a big part of the fattening of todays cats has to do with getting them fixed. When cats get fixed it prevents them from getting the proper hormones, and they end up with little heads and fat bodies. I understand the need to get them fixed (mine is) but its unfortunate that is can't happen a little later in life.
Is that true? That makes sense. I had a cat a couple of years ago who was quite small when I got her. Soon after I had her spayed and she got FAT. I tried different foods, gave her small portions...but she was a chub. I never made the connection.

On the other hand, one of the cats I watched recently is male and not neutered, and he is sadly overweight. His owner feeds him cheap food and probably too much of it. The six weeks the cat was with me he lost weight.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:42 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,495,163 times
I used to know this guy that was a strict vegetarian. He lived in a little cabin in the woods with mice running all around it. He had a cat and refused to give it cat food. He would cook lentils for the poor cat, which wouldn't touch it. The cat lived on the mice.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:47 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,459,475 times
Please don't put your pets on vegetarian diets. Cats are omnivores and should eat only meat. If you don't want to feed your animals meat, then get a guinea pig or tortoise or pet rat. Lots of lovely pets that don't eat meat.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:06 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,459,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Is that true? That makes sense. I had a cat a couple of years ago who was quite small when I got her. Soon after I had her spayed and she got FAT. I tried different foods, gave her small portions...but she was a chub. I never made the connection.

On the other hand, one of the cats I watched recently is male and not neutered, and he is sadly overweight. His owner feeds him cheap food and probably too much of it. The six weeks the cat was with me he lost weight.
No, it's not true.

The main reasons cats are overweight is due to the horrible dry food diet most people feed them. It is full of carbs and leads to all kinds of problems, including obesity, kidney disease, urinary tract infection, and rotten teeth. You can read here for more:

Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food