Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 12:45 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,179 times

Advertisements

I saw Carrie Underwood being interviewed, and she is a vegetarian. She said it affects who she dates because she can't stand to kiss someone and taste the meat they've eaten. I had never thought about that before (maybe because I'm not a vegetarian) but when she said that, I could see how that would be gross to a vegetarian. Do you feel like this? Is it similar to a non smoker kissing a smoker? Or maybe like kissing someone with bad breath? You love them, so you take the bad with the good? Also, did you lose weight when you became a vegetarian? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 11:33 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
When some people take on a cause like vegetarianism, they become very self-righteous, which makes me question their authenticity. Are they doing this because they want to or in order to form some type of identity? (Think of an adolescent who is trying different things, politics, sports, vegetarianism to find out who they are and stake out an identity in life. This is the maturity level we are talking about.)

It's important to do these things for personal reasons, because you feel in your heart that this is the right thing to do. We all follow different paths in life and even those on the same path may be further along than others. There is a difference between being a "role model" and setting an "example" and forcing things down people's throat because you think you've suddenly found the answer and now you need to ring the alarm and give everyone else a wake-up call. That's called being a nuisance.

Heather Mills is a perfect example of the type of person I'm referring to. On "Larry King Live" she took off her fake leg and put it on the table. It was if she was saying, "I've found revelation and now everyone else should too!" Everyone's revelations are different, and people reach different levels of awareness and understanding when they are ready. I don't think Heather really knows who she is. I think she's grasping for an identity, and inside her is a vast, empty ballroom of nothingness.

A more mature, evolved person takes on a cause because they know who they are, and they don't need to shake everyone else up in order to strengthen their own convictions.

greenie

Last edited by GreenMachine; 12-08-2007 at 11:41 AM..

Old 12-08-2007, 06:08 PM

123 posts, read 295,500 times
i'm a pesciterian and sometimes the smell of meat cooking stinks. i never thought i had a problem with smelling meat on a lover's breath, but i was recently with a woman and i would catch wiffs of meat (i think she was burping discreetly) and, yea, it was a turn-off

i never did like red meat and my mother would fuss at me as a child to eat my meat to get the iron. i just didn't like the texture and if i got the slightest bit of fat in my mouth i wanted to vom. i think, as in nature, some of us are carnivores, others not so much

maybe if i didn't get the munchies from hippie lettuce i'd lose weight. i eat a pretty healthy diet except when i'm craving some weird pot induced concoction. i am trying to drink V8 fusion when i want something sweet, and a regular V8 when i want something salty

Old 12-14-2007, 12:29 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,889 times
My husband's a vegan and I'm an omnivore. He's never had an issue with kissing me, of course we usually don't start making out in the middle of dinner either.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:32 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
I've alternately been a meat eater, a vegetarian and macro-biotic--never heard this one.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:47 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,950 times
I've been veg. my whole adult life. Never had a problem with other people eating meat. I've only kissed someone once where I specifically tasted meat and that was really my fault for trying to get between her and her hors d'ouvres.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:21 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,526 times
My wife eats meat sometimes and while I wish she didn't, its her body and her choice so I respect it. Yes, the smell of grilling meat can be pretty disgusting but I'll never lecture anyone about being a veggie - it just turns them off. I'll wait for them to ask why I'm so healthy or how I keep tha fat off, etc.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:06 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
My husband is a carnivore and even though I don't like it, I feel it's his choice. He is one of the few people who has never interrogated me or made me feel silly about my choice, so I leave him alone.

As far as losing weight~I'd just say that it helps me maintain my weight. Even as a child growing up on a farm, my meat intake was pretty much limited to what I was forced to eat. It was never my favorite food. As an adult, I still ate it on occasion, but never felt good about myself. It's a good question though cause I really never thought about it. It's hard to say how much I'd weigh if I wasn't a vegetarian.

I'm actually very uneducated about this since it's just kind of a lifestyle by trial and error. It took several years until I realized the little Easter "peeps" or the Christmas "chocolate melster bunnies" were off limits. Some things like that seemed like more of a sacrifice then the actual meals. Now it's just more of a natural thing for me and I rarely even think about it.

Just so I don't have to look it up~what's an omnivore?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:11 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
an omnivore is someone that DOES eat chicken, fish, meat etc.
someone that eats food of plant and animal origin.

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-25-2008, 10:28 AM

113 posts, read 563,334 times
I've heard of this rumor before -- my boyfriend is an omnivore, while I am a vegetarian. We've never had a problem, but as mdtoaz says, we don't make out in the middle of dinner. I have bigger complaints about his morning coffee breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food