Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,779,053 times

Advertisements

I would love to learn to use agave nectar in place of white sugar, partly because of the low glycemic index and partly because my grocery bill just isn't high enough yet, but I have had no luck finding out how much agave nectar equals a teaspoon, a cup or a whatever of sugar. You would think the bottle of nectar would tell you, but nooooooo.

The difficulty is partly because it is a different sweetness. When replacing white sugar with brown, for instance, you use 1/4 less brown because each serving is sweeter. You use half the amount of honey to replace white sugar because honey is MUCH sweeter.

The problem lies also in the fact that one is in the form of crumbles and one is liquid. No recipe ever says more than "adjust liquids in the recipe accordingly." Meaning what? If I use a cup of agave, which is a liquid, do I reduce the other liquids in the recipe by 1 cup? More? Less? If there is more than one liquid used in the recipe, say water and milk, which one do I reduce?

How the funk do I do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 PM

19 posts, read 29,830 times
For baking, I substitute 2/3 cup agave for 1 cup of sugar. I reduce whichever liquid is used in the greatest quantity by 1/4 cup for each 2/3 cup of agave. I've never reduced liquids that provide flavoring (vanilla or other liquid extracts) or fats. I also turn down the oven temp by 25 degree. My go-to cupcakes are made with agave because they're quick and always turn out well.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,068,278 times
I stay away from agave - chemically it is similar to high fructose corn syrup.

Agave Not a Healthy Sugar Alternative After All | Healthy Living - Yahoo! Shine

Is Agave Nectar Healthy? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Raw Agave Syrup Nectar: Not as healthy as you may think. Nutrition Facts Low Glycemic Warning

Old 01-04-2013, 09:20 AM

I don't mind using agave. I think it's strange that those articles stress that agave is NOT a health food. Well, of course it's not! It's just an alternative to sugar that may work for some people. I don't know anyone who thinks, "Oh, but they're made with agave, so they're healthy and now I can eat these cookies every day". As with any sweets and any sweetener, you need to limit consumption.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna19 View Post
I don't mind using agave. I think it's strange that those articles stress that agave is NOT a health food. Well, of course it's not! It's just an alternative to sugar that may work for some people. I don't know anyone who thinks, "Oh, but they're made with agave, so they're healthy and now I can eat these cookies every day". As with any sweets and any sweetener, you need to limit consumption.
When agave first became popular, it was everywhere....articles, recipes, in the markets - Costco...everyone was on the agave syrup bandwagon because it was touted to be better than sugar for diabetics, etc. There are better sweeteners...you'll notice that currently there are not many health sites or magazine articles that are praising the benefits of agave syrup....if it is indeed similar to high fructose corn syrup (which is what new research indicates), then it would probably be better to just use plain sugar...I've also read that coconut sugar has better health benefits than either cane sugar or agave.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
When agave first became popular, it was everywhere....articles, recipes, in the markets - Costco...everyone was on the agave syrup bandwagon because it was touted to be better than sugar for diabetics, etc. There are better sweeteners...you'll notice that currently there are not many health sites or magazine articles that are praising the benefits of agave syrup....if it is indeed similar to high fructose corn syrup (which is what new research indicates), then it would probably be better to just use plain sugar...I've also read that coconut sugar has better health benefits than either cane sugar or agave.
Yeah, but you can also find numerous articles claiming that sugar is toxic. I think it's all about common sense and moderation, regardless of which sweetener you use. I don't think any of them would fall under the category of "good for you". They're all basically empty calories and many times, fruit or unsweetened fruit juice works nicely to provide some sweetness. In my pantry, I have a 36 oz bottle of organic raw agave and a 24 oz jar of organic raw sugar. Those will last me many months. I'm pretty comfortable with that intake.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:39 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,779,053 times
I have never heard of coconut sugar in my life!

Old 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM

I'd heard of it, but still have not seen convincing evidence that it's any better than any other sweetener. It's like anything that comes along as the latest trend. The information is constantly changing.

The Truth About Coconut Palm Sugar: The Other Side of the Story!

Is Coconut Palm Sugar A Healthy Sugar Substitute? | Healthy Eating Tips - Upgrade Your Healthstyle | Summer Tomato

Old 01-06-2013, 04:36 PM

I just don't eat sugar period....problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food