Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:59 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,867,616 times

Advertisements

Hello There!

Because I'm nosy I just wanted to know what the rest of you do When it comes to cooking- do you usually turn regular, 'traditional' recipes into Veg*n dishes (nixing the meat, substituting dairy for soy products etc) OR do you usually just make Veg*n recipes as written?

Personally I do a mixture of both- but more often than not I change up Traditional Recipes and put a Veg*n spin on them. I collect cookbooks from the 1950s and 1960s- sometimes it's near impossible to make the recipes Veg*n but nine times out of ten I come up with some version of it that's close enough in my book

(I live in an obscure little vintage world of my own creation)

I can't wait to hear what most of you do!

Amitiés,
Amber

P.S. My vegan mother cooks strictly from vegan recipes (when she does cook)- unless I give her a traditional recipe that I've altered accordingly... that's what made me think to ask!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 09:55 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
Both. I don't do meat substitutes, though, so mostly would just be adapting recipes that had some meat but where the meat wasn't the main ingredient in the recipe.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:07 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,808,498 times
When we (my family) first became vegan we would do the whole "let's pretend we are still eating like regular by substituting everything" routine. It got old. There are hundreds and hundreds of delicious original vegan recipes online and in books that don't look or taste like anything you've ever had. My wife does Pinterest and tags dozens & dozens plus we get new ones weekly from books.

We no longer buy meat substitutes but we do make our own black bean burgers, chickpea cutlets, and vegan sausages for camping or breakfast. They taste superior, are much cheaper, and they don't have any funny ingredients that I need a chemistry degree to interpret.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:58 AM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
One of my hobbies is revamping recipes. I am very into retro and vintage clothes, decor, and yes food! I love to collect mid century cook books, and I'm fascinated with all of the interesting time saving recipes of that era.

It was a chic and elegant time, And it began the nascent rumblings of woman's liberation.

I LOVE these old recipes and everyone knows that I have no issues with meat analogues. I use them as needed.

I have revamped recopies such as meat loaf, potatoes au gratin, Swedish meat balls, green bean casserole, sausage and peppers, stuffed cabbage and more retro faves.

Any one interested in writing a cook book with me?

Send me a DM!

Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
My BF is a "reluctant" vegan....changing his diet...kicking and screaming...because I no longer buy meat. But...much to his chagrin...he has lost weight, he looks better and feels better.

Tonight we had tofu barbecue "Wings"...made with sauce I used to use for teriaki wings...I even put toasted sesame seeds on the "wings" for crunch.

I make tons of things...and just substitute eggplant or zucchini for meat.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:51 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times
I don't alter many traditional recipes because most traditional foods are high in fat and vegan recipes offer suffer from the same problem....

I've gotten the most mileage out of learning the culinary techniques of cultures that traditionally have eaten little or not meat.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:59 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,859,201 times
I usually cook from an actual meatless recipe, but I have altered traditional recipes. For some traditional recipes I have substituted grilled tofu cubes in place of chicken or beef.

Sometimes I have prepared a traditional recipe just leaving out the meat. I have a recipe for a chicken with sesame noodles, and it is so flavorful even without a substitution that I just leave the chicken out. It's funny because when I have served it no one has ever said, "Hey, shouldn't there be some meat in here?" or "this recipe is good, but it would be better with meat" but everyone loves it and I often get requests for the recipe.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:14 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,867,616 times
missik: yummy! I'd love the noodle recipe too! I do a cold Sesame Noodle Salad from time to time- so I'd definitely love to read your recipe!

Old 07-28-2012, 11:19 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My BF is a "reluctant" vegan....changing his diet...kicking and screaming...because I no longer buy meat. But...much to his chagrin...he has lost weight, he looks better and feels better.

Tonight we had tofu barbecue "Wings"...made with sauce I used to use for teriaki wings...I even put toasted sesame seeds on the "wings" for crunch.

I make tons of things...and just substitute eggplant or zucchini for meat.
That sauce sounds great -- would you share the recipe with us? I'm not much of a sauce genie myself.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:03 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
I have to do both...with my 8,000 food allergies there is simply no choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food