Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:10 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times

Advertisements

I decided to go vegetarian this past summer after doing extensive reading, watching documentaries, etc. I've posted a few times on this forum and it seems that everyone is really great! I did also join a specific vegetarian forum and found that people were extremely snooty, acted like they were better than everyone, etc. Especially to people who were researching options and thought eating fish was a form of vegetarianism - some people honestly just DON'T KNOW! I don't fault them for it at all. I just help people with the info that I have/know.

Why is it that I feel like so many vegetarians have this holier than thou attitude? I'm the only veg in my group of friends and everyone treats my choices with the upmost respect - and I do the same for them! Seeing as I used to be a meateater, I really can't be one to judge. I feel that everyone had the right to their own choices. I made mine and I'm happy with that.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 02:07 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Why is it that I feel like so many vegetarians have this holier than thou attitude?

Any thoughts?
All I can say is that hasn't been my experience at all.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Ok good, then there is hope! Maybe it was just the message board I was on. Like I said, I have no real life veg friends lol. So I didn't know if this was a trend or maybe just people hiding behind a computer to act like jerks

Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
Quote:
I decided to go vegetarian this past summer after doing extensive reading, watching documentaries, etc. I've posted a few times on this forum and it seems that everyone is really great! I did also join a specific vegetarian forum and found that people were extremely snooty, acted like they were better than everyone, etc. Especially to people who were researching options and thought eating fish was a form of vegetarianism - some people honestly just DON'T KNOW! I don't fault them for it at all. I just help people with the info that I have/know.

Why is it that I feel like so many vegetarians have this holier than thou attitude? I'm the only veg in my group of friends and everyone treats my choices with the upmost respect - and I do the same for them! Seeing as I used to be a meateater, I really can't be one to judge. I feel that everyone had the right to their own choices. I made mine and I'm happy with that.

Any thoughts?
Oh I've seen exactly what you are talking about on message boards. I just roll my eyes and scroll down. Usually I see just as many helpful people, though. I can't stand the vegan snobs myself.
How I feel about veganism is exactly how I feel about religion- it's a very personal choice and it's nobody's business. I would never try to convert anyone to it because it's all about free will. But if people have questions I will most certainly answer them to the best of my knowledge without looking down my nose at them.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:53 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Same for me...

there are always going to be folks who think/feel THEIR ideas/activities/personal choices are above all others. It is annoying...

And a pitiful way to be. Just ignore them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post

Old 01-22-2012, 07:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:

Any thoughts?
Most people I know who are vegetarians, offline, are just common variety people who don't eat meat. A few of them are into the organics-only thing, and one is macrobiotic. I know almost all of them because I like the hot bar and salad bar at the natural foods store, and they all hang out there

Only one of them is a "lifestlye snob." I find more snobbery among the "foodie" people, who -do- eat meat, than I do among the vegetarians.

The forums are a whole other world though. You'll see *some* people going on, and on, and on, in every post, in every thread, ad nauseum, about how animals are people too and cruelty and meat factories. It's not that vegetarians on forums are snobs, or holier than thou. It's that SOME of them are. And they have a higher post count than the ones who just simply enjoy good food and would rather it not come from meat products.

It's sort of like religion. Most people who are religious, don't make a fuss about it. But the ones that do, are loud, and they're the ones who get the attention because they won't shut up until they get it. You have to expect that with every topic, in every forum.

ACTIVELY evangelistic republicans, are going to be snobbish and holier than thou toward democrats. Common variety republicans who are secure in their beliefs and don't feel they need to prove anything, won't be snobbish or holier than thou.

Actively militaristic PETA members will rip you to shreds on the animal cruelty threads. While people who just don't like the idea of wearing furs, will just - not wear them.

Same goes for vegetarians. Some will go medieval on your butt if you dare to mention the vile and abominable foie gras within 40 threads of their post. And some will just - smile and nod and continue not eating foie gras, and offer their recipe for baba ganoush.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:41 AM

Thanks for the insights! Glad I'm not the only one that's realized this I think the comparison to religion is a great example!!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
What I find interesting about vegetarian folks, is that potlucks...okay, bring a salad, lettuce, tomatoes, kidney beans...whatever...why do the vegetarians bring some wierd tofu, wheat grass, sprouted bean, spinach, lentil dish? I don't eat hardly any meat, but I don't identify myself as "vegetarian" I do eat meat, very infrequently, but I don't eat tofu, or wheat grass. So, this one girl at work, always brings the wierdest stuff...and no one eats it, so she says that we don't like vegetarian food. No, we just don't like her food.

It is interesting, how much vegetarian food Costco carries...I noticed that this weekend.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
What I find interesting about vegetarian folks, is that potlucks...okay, bring a salad, lettuce, tomatoes, kidney beans...whatever...why do the vegetarians bring some wierd tofu, wheat grass, sprouted bean, spinach, lentil dish? I don't eat hardly any meat, but I don't identify myself as "vegetarian" I do eat meat, very infrequently, but I don't eat tofu, or wheat grass. So, this one girl at work, always brings the wierdest stuff...and no one eats it, so she says that we don't like vegetarian food. No, we just don't like her food.

It is interesting, how much vegetarian food Costco carries...I noticed that this weekend.
Since I'm a new vegetarian, I always like to experiment with cooking new recipes, etc. So I try to bring a variety when I go to potlucks - but I pretty well know my friends' tastes so I always bring something that others would at least try. And if I can't think of anything or don't feel like cooking, I'll do my usual cheese and crackers

Our main grocery store here is Wegmans and they are AMAZING with the vegetarian selection!

Old 01-23-2012, 02:06 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

I’m a Vegetarian, have been my whole life, but have never eaten those weird things you mention. I just eat normal food, but without the meat.

If I couldn’t cook, life would be really boring though, a lot of the ready meals are awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food