Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 11:32 PM

642 posts, read 2,553,089 times

Advertisements

I am going to look around BC next week. In looking at areas I could afford I came up with Surrey.

I wanted walkable, hopefully an 'urban neighborhood'. I have been to a couple that you could buy some frsh food on the way home for dinner and had some shops to stop.

I need, of course safety for me and especially a teen. I noticed an area called Landley...Landers?

I dont want to have a long commute to downtown for college and arts but would like a neighborhood and a small yard. Do you have any suggestions? O yes and How is public transportation?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 10:11 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,832,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
I am going to look around BC next week. In looking at areas I could afford I came up with Surrey.

I wanted walkable, hopefully an 'urban neighborhood'. I have been to a couple that you could buy some frsh food on the way home for dinner and had some shops to stop.

I need, of course safety for me and especially a teen. I noticed an area called Landley...Landers?

I dont want to have a long commute to downtown for college and arts but would like a neighborhood and a small yard. Do you have any suggestions? O yes and How is public transportation?

Thanks for any help you can give!
My sister lives in Surrey. They have a really lovely home and quite enjoy it.
They have found it very safe. They have no problems with transportation.
The other area you might be thinking of is Langley? If you are buying find a reputable real estate agent. Surrey is definitely less expensive than other areas...have relatives in North Van. and it's really expensive. I have friends in Langley and they like it.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:04 PM

Default realtor suggestions and a couple more questions:)

Thank you so much for the information and tips. I will start trying to look for a reliable realtor.

The other area I am going to check out is Landry and Barnaby.

Is there light rail in Vancouver? To go back and forth I believe it is 45 minutes from Surrey and Barnaby is 20.

I know there is a lot of diversity in Vancouver which I cannot wait for but are the neighborhoods very open to newcomers?

Do you have any recommendation on what neighborhoods I should look into?

Thanks again!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:22 PM

I went to Vancouver and loved the several areqas of Burnaby, New Westminster and White rock. I was thinking of the South Surrey/White Rock area and someone (Eileen ) was kind enough to tell me a bit about it. Cresent Beach was amazing as well but I could just imagine the prices there are as expensive as the White Rock area. Can anyone give me tips on whether a home based business & a seperate steady income would be enought to get some sort of temp. residency or a work visa in Canada? I want to put my daughter in a private school in Surrey. Do you have any suggestions on a neighborhood that is safe also for a teen? I am really a bit lost on this one and any help you could give would be wonderful. Geographically and what is offered make Vancouver the best place for us now. thanks for everything

Old 05-26-2007, 06:57 PM

31 posts, read 187,975 times
You should really check out New Westminster. If you want a walkable place that is close to downtown Vancouver, transit, shopping and has an urban feel to it - it pretty much fills the bill. It is very small but there are two shopping areas: updown and downtown. Uptown has a Safeway, a London Drugs, a movie theatre, two small malls and several restaurants. I live in a condo in a heritage building in the "downtown" area. It is the old part of town and feels kind of like a mini city (it used to be the capital of BC) and the central street - Columbia Street - is lined with all 100 year old heritage buildings. The city council is great with comminity events too. There are festivals and parades and a car show in the summer - it's pretty cool, but it has less stores than uptown (but there is an IGA closeby and a small mall as well with a new shopping centre being built at the moment). It is kind of run-down but I think relatively safe (compared to Surrey anyways - there are areas of Surrey that I wouldn't even GO to let alone live in. Also there seems to be a LOT of grow houses in Surrey and they of course attract a criminal element) The only thing about New West is that if you wanted to rent a house, you'd pay a lot because most of them are owned by the people who live there. You can rent an apartment for fairly cheap ($600-$800 month for a one bedroom. Not sure about a two bedroom). Oh, and there are two Skytrain stations and to travel to Vancouver is about 25-30 minutes. If you lived in Surrey, unless you lived really close to shopping, it is definitely a "driving" place.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-26-2007, 08:45 PM

550 posts, read 2,826,009 times
I live in Coquitlam and really like it. Port Coquitlam and Port Moody are really nice as well. Maple Ridge is nice too.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:40 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,606,458 times
I like White Rock best but it is expensive now ...Maple Ridge is much more affordable ....New Westminster definitely an option...near light rail that you mentioned ...I also like North Van too ....unfortunately Vancouver has become an expensive place (in terms of housing) ...

Old 02-04-2012, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 17,958 times
I'm moving from Toronto, Ontario. I am 25 white and will be working close to 192nd Street
Surrey, B.C. Can anyway let me know of a safe area in Surrey to live. I thank you for any advice.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 17,958 times
Sorry. also wanted to mention that I will be looking to rent.

Thanks

Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 PM

253 posts, read 558,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4 View Post
I'm moving from Toronto, Ontario. I am 25 white and will be working close to 192nd Street
Surrey, B.C. Can anyway let me know of a safe area in Surrey to live. I thank you for any advice.
I don't know why it matters that you are white...anyways, Surrey is a big city some areas are very very nice while others are terrible. I would stay away from Whalley, that area is sketchy and not the safest, although they are trying to clean it up. In general stay away from North Surrey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver