Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:02 PM

5 posts, read 15,963 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about a move to Canada lately. More specifically,to Vancouver B.C. Michigan has been my home for quite some time now and I am a U.S. citizen even though I was born in Germany. I looked into the Immigration website for details about what it would take to live and work there in Vancouver. I am just starting to research some facts on this so forgive me if get something wrong.

It looks like I would need a skilled workers visa. Does anyone know how long it takes to get one of these? I don't have any felonies or DUIs to contend with. Is it better to apply and try to get a job before trying to get a visa? If a company were to hire me, would the application process go smoother? I realize it would be tough to secure a job in Vancouver from Michigan, but I could give it a try. If you apply for a skilled worker visa under a certain skill, what happens if you can't find work there in that field? Do they revoke your visa? How long do visa's last? I am allowed to look for work in any field after obtaining a visa? I am just trying to cover all my bases. I don't want to fall flat on my face in a strange city. Employment will be key to survival.

If I make the decision to move there, it would probably be for a long time. I am a single male age 35. I would love to settle down somewhere, find a wife and have some kids eventually. My resume reflects experience in real estate, construction, sales, and development, etc. I have owned a couple of small businesses over the years. I would really like to get into management of some sort even if I have to start at the bottom. I am kind of burnt out on real estate. The real estate development company that I have spent the last 8 years building up is quickly falling apart. The economy here in Michigan is pathetic. You can't appreciate how bad it is here unless you have lived here. We basically have been in about 6-7 years of straight recessionary numbers. I might not have anything left after this is all said and done. Hence the fresh start.

I really enjoy the outdoors and I snowboard occasionally too. I have read alot of the threads on here trying to get a feel for the city. I realize I might have to try to sneak in a short trip ahead of time to get a quick glimpse of the city before I would move there. It seems that alot of people feel that the city is too expensive and jobs are scarce and don't pay that much. How difficult is it to find jobs that pay $35,000 to $60,000 in Vancouver? Is this a pipe dream on my part? After paying what looks like about $900-$1500 for rent, I could probably survive on the rest. Vancouver citizens sound really nice and that is great for me. I make friends easily and have a "live and let live" mentality. Should be a nice fit.

Does anyone know what the guidelines about bringing a dog with me are? I have an English Bulldog that is like a son to me and will be a major factor in the move. The cloudy weather doesn't bother me. I live in Western Michigan where we have harsh winters and cloudy days due to the lake effect. How expensive are storage units around greater Vancouver? Any additional info about the city, neighborhoods, nightlife, and single women would be appreciated. This is my first post on this site. Let's see how this goes. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 8,241 times
From what I've read about skilled workers during my research into immigrating is it would be alot easier if you found a job before applying for the Visa. And also you need some sort of letter from the company stating that hiring you wont impact the jobs available to Canadians, or they couldn't find a suitable Canadian for the job.

As far as animals are concerned, they said as long as the animal has its rabies shots and proof documentation its no problem. Also a health certificate helps.

SO far Vancouver has been real nice, i'm in the market for a new job as well, but its hard to find one. So far ive only been looking for a few weeks, so we'll see how this goes.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:34 PM

578 posts, read 1,477,856 times
Hi,

So the economical situation in Michigan is that bad? Me too I wish to relocate from Montreal, and I was contemplating either British Columbia or Southwestern Ontario/Windsor. More inclined to the latter option, the real estate being an important factor. Michigan being very near to Windsor, shall I presume the situation is similar in Windsor?

Old 05-01-2009, 08:01 PM

Yes, it is that bad. I have heard that we are ranked last out of 50 states and have been for quite some time now. We are a manufacturing based state and jobs are leaving here quickly. This seems to coincide with the population going backwards too. Thank goodness I live on the west side of the state where it is not as bad as Detroit. People have been moving out of that city for a while now. I have been to Windsor a few times for fun but I don't know much about it to be honest. If it is anything like Detroit it will be difficult to find employment there. I figure even if Vancouver would be tough to find a job in, it can't be as bad as Michigan. Such a beautiful state too. What a shame. Good luck to you wherever you choose.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:17 PM

578 posts, read 1,477,856 times
Thanks for your valuable opinions.
Good luck to you too, with the Vancouver saga.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:36 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,368,329 times
Why not go to Seattle? I find Seattle to be more charming, less hectic, more affordable, and better yet, you won't have to file for citizenship or get a visa to work here. And Seattle has a high tech industry (IT and engineering).

Old 05-02-2009, 02:50 PM

Good idea and I appreciate the input but my situation is complicated. I didn't really elaborate on this in my first post but my business and financial situation is very complex. When I mentioned that I would probably end up with nothing in the end I also will likely end up with very damaged credit due to me trying to carry many lots that havent sold. I just figured maybe I would get more of a fresh start with credit, banks, and opportunities. Seattle from what I have heard is great. I also have considered Denver but that is only if I stay in the states. I was born overseas, have traveled alot, and am quite comfortable in different environments. I am just looking for a completely new experience to begin what will be the next chapter. I have no doubt that what I am looking into will be difficult but hopefully rewarding. Does anyone know how long you have to live in Canada to get a drivers license or their equivalent? Can anybody tell me how reasonable or expensive auto insurance is compared to the U.S.? I have a clean record. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caf33 View Post
... I also will likely end up with very damaged credit due to me trying to carry many lots that havent sold.
Ah, I see.

If your issue is real estate, well, remember, if you have a job besides real estate having poor credit only matters if you plan on using credit. In a recession, the only thing you need is cash. It just means it will be harder to buy *new* cars and *new* things. You won't have to worry about it getting a lot or a place to live since you already own.

Moving to another country, especially one as close as Canada, with the same banking infrastructure and same credit rules, will not make the creditors stop coming after you. You just have to be dogged. Everyone knew the gravy train wouldn't last forever and I hope you saved some money.

For the lots, hold on to them and eventually they will sell. Or build on one of them if they are desirable or you can easily access civilization, and you can live there. That's the beauty of real estate.

Of course I can't tell you how to live man. Good luck

Old 05-03-2009, 12:58 PM

Thanks again for the input eskercurve. Any comments are always appreciated. However, just for the sake of conversation lets pretend that a few things are true: That I understand my own financial situation completely, know the local job market and future prospects well, have tried everything to work things out the banks already, and that I am ready for a major change of scenery in my life due to a ton of personal reasons. If we can go with that premise, then maybe we can get back to getting some Canada questions answered. I would be happy to discuss developing, real estate, or the economy thru a seperate channel with you anytime. I like it that you are trying to help with the lots but I already own a large home that I built myself which is upside down on the mortgage. My home has been for sale for 20 months. Also there are no job prospects here. I have been looking for a new career here for about 7 months now. The unemplyment here is hovering around 15% and is sure to continue climbing. Now that we got that out of the way, are there any people with Vancouver experience out there? I would love to hear from you. By the way eskercurve, I also wish you luck in your endeavers.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caf33 View Post
Thanks again for the input eskercurve. Any comments are always appreciated. However, just for the sake of conversation lets pretend that a few things are true: That I understand my own financial situation completely, know the local job market and future prospects well, have tried everything to work things out the banks already, and that I am ready for a major change of scenery in my life due to a ton of personal reasons. If we can go with that premise, then maybe we can get back to getting some Canada questions answered. I would be happy to discuss developing, real estate, or the economy thru a seperate channel with you anytime. I like it that you are trying to help with the lots but I already own a large home that I built myself which is upside down on the mortgage. My home has been for sale for 20 months. Also there are no job prospects here. I have been looking for a new career here for about 7 months now. The unemplyment here is hovering around 15% and is sure to continue climbing. Now that we got that out of the way, are there any people with Vancouver experience out there? I would love to hear from you. By the way eskercurve, I also wish you luck in your endeavers.
That's cool man, I understand. I'm sorry if I was sounding preachy.

I really do wish you luck. I hate seeing people who otherwise sound like nice people have tough times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver