Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 04:20 PM

32 posts, read 162,577 times

Advertisements

Vancouver study: A city of loneliness and unfriendliness? | Georgia Straight

I'd personally find this article interesting and true to a large extent, as i myself feel that it is really fairly difficult to integrate into the populace here.

What do you guys think of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 04:38 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
All Major Cities have that to some degree so not a Big Deal IMO

Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 AM

3 posts, read 6,288 times
Yes, Vancouverites are typically not very personable. The city has always been that way especially in the alcoves.
You might find better luck on the East side or even downtown. The west side (where I live) people just mind their own business.
I've lived here since 1998 and have tolerated rude comments etc... but found it better when I lived here in the eighties. The influx of foreigners may have a great deal to do with their attitude.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:51 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hystericblue View Post
Vancouver study: A city of loneliness and unfriendliness? | Georgia Straight

I'd personally find this article interesting and true to a large extent, as i myself feel that it is really fairly difficult to integrate into the populace here.

What do you guys think of this?
I've commented on this before, but as GTOlover has said, it's typical of any big city. Many people who move from one place to another, somehow expect that within a few months or a year, that they are going to have the same amount of friends as the did at home. Not realistic.

Also I find that people who complain about a city being unfriendly etc really have to look at themselves a bit more. What are you doing to meet people besides at work? Are you just hanging out in bars, or have you tried joining a club? There are a hundreds, if not thousands, of all type of clubs from sports to dancing, wine club, book club etc. You will meet people if you join.

It sort of reminds me of travellers who go to a city and complain about how rude the people are etc....not always, but generally I find that person has reaped what they have sowed.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,140 times
I just visited Vancouver and I don't find the people rude at all. Some of the immigrants aren't very friendly but I think a large part of that is simply because their English skills aren't very good. How are you going to communicate to somebody who can't understand you?

Old 05-07-2013, 12:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I just visited Vancouver and I don't find the people rude at all. Some of the immigrants aren't very friendly but I think a large part of that is simply because their English skills aren't very good. How are you going to communicate to somebody who can't understand you?
You smile and point a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver