Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 07:19 AM

77 posts, read 62,209 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Stealth. Wish more "agrihoods" would catch on out there. I'd much rather the shared common space in a development be gardens and a few chickens than a golf course. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 05:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,776 posts, read 58,241,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer15 View Post
Wish more "agrihoods" would catch on out there. I'd much rather the shared common space in a development be gardens and a few chickens than a golf course. ;-)
Tough sell on left coast. (or any popular area) Property is a PREMIUM. So need "best and highest use", as my tax assessor claims (That does not include chickens!)

What climate do you want? I will keep my eyes open. There are some nice communities 'east-side' that might be keen on allowing a retirement 'ag-centric' community.

I plan to have livestock, shops, green house, activity center and a few apartments for guests and contract caregivers. I went to a very nice one in Davis, CA (there are 3 in Davis). They don't 'advertise', as they like to choose their own neighbors.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:21 PM

Sounds like my kind of place. We are east coasters now, but want to retire to PNW to be near family.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer15 View Post
Sounds like my kind of place. We are east coasters now, but want to retire to PNW to be near family.
Climate?
Access to airport or city? (<1hr?)
Medical needs / VA eligible ?
What region is the family?

Old 02-18-2017, 07:41 AM

Yes on VA eligibility, no special medical needs (yet), but access to good health care important. All the fam is located on I5 corridor, from Portland to Salem. An hour or less to PDX would be nice. Love to take dogs out on long walks, so that's important.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,239,305 times
There is a 55+ community in Gresham,OR. I don't know exactly where it is located, and I don't remember the name. But several years ago I toured a home for sale. It was too cramped for us.

A few years ago I toured Fairway Village homes for sale, and I was frankly not impressed. However, if you love to golf, it might be the place for you. Fairway Village has a community center with a pool and a gym, as well as a golf course. I think some of the homes are too close to SR 14, and there is sound pollution in some of the back yards. And the homes are a bit overvalued for their age, IMO. Many of them have only 2 bedrooms. Some of them, inexplicably have two stories. Many of the residents have extremely high maintenance gardens that require regular gardeners' attention.

However some of the homes are nice, if small. There are several floor plans, and the homes vary quite a bit. Everything is neat and tidy. I think it is a fine place for some people who like to golf; it is also close to SR 14 which gets you to PDX and the city of Portland pretty fast, or as fast as traffic allows.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:00 PM

372 posts, read 577,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
There is a 55+ community in Gresham,OR. I don't know exactly where it is located, and I don't remember the name. But several years ago I toured a home for sale. It was too cramped for us.

However some of the homes are nice, if small. There are several floor plans, and the homes vary quite a bit. Everything is neat and tidy. I think it is a fine place for some people who like to golf; it is also close to SR 14 which gets you to PDX and the city of Portland pretty fast, or as fast as traffic allows.
There is also Cascadia Village out in Sandy.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:24 PM

Thanks, Coastal. We need to be in WA for tax reasons.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:26 PM

Thanks, Silibran, that's good info about Fairway Village.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:08 PM

dog park and long walks near Washougal, and nearby Columbia Gorge (and in Camas (5 min from Washougal) has some nice long treks).

Fisher Landing Ctran SE 164th Ave Vancouver, 6 min to Camas. (Metro bus transit station) also hosts Skamania Transit, very cheap ride into the Gorge several times / day. Also Express buses to downtown Portland.

VA in Vancouver (senior and rehab center next to Clark College) was running a shuttle to Portland VA several times / day.

I am 6 mi east of Washougal, yet <20 min to PDX (that is very nice, and you can grab a $0.99 hot breakfast @ IKEA before your flight (certain hours).)

WA tax domicile, near PDX, near access to Portland and Salem narrows it down a bit.

If you want DRY, you need to head 1 hr east
to White Salmon (which is very nice too!) Close to even more hunting and fishing. But.... as an active retiree, Camas / Washougal / Ridgefield will be good. Woodland and north for lower taxes and property prices. (Cowlitz County) Can accomplish the same 20 min east in Skamania County. North Bonneville is very attractive to retirees that like to hike / golf / fish (Sturgeon, Steelhead, and Salmon). It is a very pretty setting, but do not overpay for properties, as it is tough to sell there (minimal services, must drive for everything). Worth a look, as is Underwood (near White Salmon). I really like BZ Corners (towards Troutlake), but medical and activities would be a stretch. (long drive).

Depending on your age and ability... could be wise to plan ahead. I find a lot of very energetic 70 yr olds bite off a lot and clear land, build homes, shops... and then in early 80's are worn out / injured / can't manage the rural props, and must leave their dream home. Thus... I need to get the senior rural village built or discovered. One of my grandparents aged at a community senior village that was donated and staffed by farmers and locals (300 population of small town in NE). Similar with Spouse's Grandmother in MN. Nice village overlooking a pond, being cared for by the kids she taught in school. +/- Many locals people visited, and the community made a point to have meetings and events at the senior village. My dad was in a VA village in WA that was superb. PX, Cafe, great view of Puget Sound, bus every hour. Ferry to Seattle, and to Bremerton. Is very nice for our service personnel / veterans (must be destitute, but still ambulatory).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area