Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:15 AM

11 posts, read 22,598 times

Advertisements

So, I went to the Columbia outlet near us and got waterproof jackets for all 4 of us. But they aren't very warm. I got all kinds of information overload between the water-proof and the water-resistant and the omni-heat reflecting (back at you) and on and on. Thinking that maybe we wait until we get up there next month and buy from someone who knows the ins and outs of what we'll really need.

Any suggestions on Water-proof vs. Water-resistant? And does it need to be warm too or is it better to have layers, like a fleece under the water shedding jacket? I know the kids go outside for recess rain or shine so I want them to be dressed appropriately. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 09:12 AM

318 posts, read 633,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisleeP View Post
So, I went to the Columbia outlet near us and got waterproof jackets for all 4 of us. But they aren't very warm. I got all kinds of information overload between the water-proof and the water-resistant and the omni-heat reflecting (back at you) and on and on. Thinking that maybe we wait until we get up there next month and buy from someone who knows the ins and outs of what we'll really need.

Any suggestions on Water-proof vs. Water-resistant? And does it need to be warm too or is it better to have layers, like a fleece under the water shedding jacket? I know the kids go outside for recess rain or shine so I want them to be dressed appropriately. TIA
Go for waterproof. Water-resistant will shed light rain for a while but eventually will soak through. Also go with layers. It's easier to modulate body temp with layers than one heavy garment that will allow you to be either hot or cold when it's on or off.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:51 AM

473 posts, read 2,766,752 times
My family and I love food. We aren't rich , so being a foodie occurs when we are able. But if you want truly high end food, it gets annoying that most times you have to go to Portland. Vancouver seems to have a hard time with keeping high end restaurants.

I've fallen in love with a few high end restaurants that popped up in Vancouver, to only have them shut down not long after opening, due to lack of business. This town isn't really a foodie town. It's a mom/dad/family town. We often look for good deals, and good prices, but most people don't want to believe that you'll pay more for better food. So Sushi Hana down the street serving 1.50 per plate cheap god awful (but i still love going there for cheap sushi so dont get the wrong impression) sushi, does gangbuster business, but my favorite sushi place that had a chef trained from japan that served top shelf sushi on par w/ the best restaurants I've eaten at, goes out of business.

There is a higher end hawaiian bbq place in town, and there are about 10 lower end cheaper places. The quality of the higher end one is above and beyond, but if you go to their yelp site, a lot of the complaints is how expensive they are.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:10 AM

24 posts, read 54,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDavid View Post
Go for waterproof. Water-resistant will shed light rain for a while but eventually will soak through. Also go with layers. It's easier to modulate body temp with layers than one heavy garment that will allow you to be either hot or cold when it's on or off.
So I'm thinking Gore Tex?

Coming up to check things out on the 13th of this month. I know it will be wet.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:26 AM

25 posts, read 31,535 times
StealthRabbit, thanks for the leads. Yup, I was all over the usajobs and have looked at Legacy, Providence and a few of the medical outfits you mentioned. I will definitely look at the rest of those on your list - that was awesome.

Yes, you really ran into that one week we had what we call a "storm" lol. It had been dry ever since that week and we are
just about to get 3 days of rain starting Thursday (the horror) Hope your next trip out here will be more regular Cali weather. Thanks again for the leads.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:29 AM

25 posts, read 31,535 times
Thanks Silibran

Old 02-03-2015, 01:00 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,530,695 times
On jackets. I buy our family Columbia Alpine Action winter jackets. They are thin but warm and waterproof, we wear them skiing and as everyday winter jackets.

One thing to remember if you're coming from somewhere with a real winter is that it's not that cold here. I wear cashmere sweaters around Christmas time, otherwise they're too hot. My heavy down jacket sits in my car most of the winter, it's useful maybe two weeks year.

It's been in the 50s for weeks now, lows only in the high 40s, my rhododendrons and camellias are just now blooming and the daffodils won't be long now.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:14 PM

11 posts, read 22,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
On jackets. I buy our family Columbia Alpine Action winter jackets. They are thin but warm and waterproof, we wear them skiing and as everyday winter jackets.

One thing to remember if you're coming from somewhere with a real winter is that it's not that cold here. I wear cashmere sweaters around Christmas time, otherwise they're too hot. My heavy down jacket sits in my car most of the winter, it's useful maybe two weeks year.

It's been in the 50s for weeks now, lows only in the high 40s, my rhododendrons and camellias are just now blooming and the daffodils won't be long now.

Thanks for the recommendation on the jacket!! I will check those out.

We're coming from TX, so I wouldn't say we have a REAL winter. Our temps here in the last week have ranged from in the 20's to in the 70's but typically we are 50's and 60's. I think we have "warm" enough coats but we didn't have anything to keep the rain off... until I went to the Columbia store.

Our school district has a rule that if its colder than 45 (or something like that) or raining, they don't go outside for recess. So that is going to be a change for my 7 & 9 yr old.

Our move is quickly approaching, hope to be there and moving in around March 15th. Getting excited and more nervous by the day.

Thanks again for the info!

Old 02-03-2015, 01:24 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,530,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisleeP View Post
Thanks for the recommendation on the jacket!! I will check those out.

We're coming from TX, so I wouldn't say we have a REAL winter. Our temps here in the last week have ranged from in the 20's to in the 70's but typically we are 50's and 60's. I think we have "warm" enough coats but we didn't have anything to keep the rain off... until I went to the Columbia store.

Our school district has a rule that if its colder than 45 (or something like that) or raining, they don't go outside for recess. So that is going to be a change for my 7 & 9 yr old.

Our move is quickly approaching, hope to be there and moving in around March 15th. Getting excited and more nervous by the day.

Thanks again for the info!
That's a good time to move! March can be rainy and a little chilly but the flowers will be out and they are gorgeous here. And you won't have long to wait until the weather turns nice. We moved in December and I never even saw Mt Hood until March that year.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:48 PM

24 posts, read 54,414 times
We live in So Cal so rain??? Yeah right! We have always layered when we go out to hike. I carry very heavy backpacks with a large camera inside so I heat up fast and layering is the way to go. Nice to know I'll be able to wear my cashmere sweaters again.

We are coming up in two weeks to meet our real estate agent and get the ball rolling. Move will be sometime before the end of the year as we will both retire this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area