Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,364 times

Advertisements

I am moving from the east coast to Washington state. When I was younger I lived in Edmonds, but it has been a while since I have been to Washington. I have the opportunity to live in either Oly or Vancouver Wa and was wondering any advice either way. Not really which one is better, but what does each one offer? Which one holds more beauty, and easy access to walking places, without driving? And lastly are there any pictures you guys can share? Thank you ahead of time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
In a nutshell, Vancouver is a large suburb of Portland, Oregon, and Olympia is a small city at the southern tip of Puget Sound, with Tacoma and Seattle an hour or two away. Olympia is the state capital, so there are government buildings around. I don't think of either one as particularly walkable, but I haven't lived there. Both have some great scenic beauty. Google Street View and Image Search are good sources of pictures.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:20 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Personally, Olympia is much more beautiful and the waterfront is very well used. It has a much more charming downtown core. It also has a much better Farmers market. Look back a couple pages, there's a couple threads showing Olympia photos.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:49 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Olympia has the capital activity, government jobs, is more liberal and prettier. Vancouver has easier access to a major airport, OR tax free shopping, and access to Portland entertainment, HC, and commerce.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
As mentioned there are many differences and reasons for choosing one over the other. For 'setting', Olympia would win hands down (direct waterfront access + State Capital).

Vancouver shares beauty with Portland. Within 20 minutes is Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area (where you can actually find a few house for sale).

Portland parks are GREAT and 20 minutes away.

Northern Oregon coast is 1.2 hrs away, as is Mt Hood and Mt St Helens.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:10 AM

68 posts, read 130,132 times
I lived in Olympia for 8 years and have moved to Vancouver this summer (after a 3 year stint on the east side of the state).

My impressions so far:
Olympia has much better parks in town, with access to beautiful forests and waterfront. I lived in an older neighborhood, 1 mile from downtown, but I was also 1-3 miles from trails with giant trees. Here in Vancouver, I have yet to find that without a big drive. Olympia is a much more walkable city. Vancouver is REALLY suburban, with lots of strip malls and big box stores. Olympia has them as well, but also has a lot of retail with character. In those ways, Olympia is better.

However, Vancouver has some real pluses. They have built a very beautiful downtown. I just went and visited Olympia and noticed a lot more empty storefronts and graffiti than I remember. This may be a "you can never go home again" thing, but it really left me feeling sad. Vancouver is pretty clean. Housing here is reasonable, but there is access to a lot more in terms of jobs and big city doings. Also, the difference in access to outdoor activities is huge. In Olympia, it was pretty much 2 hours to get to the great outdoors. Here, we can be at the Gorge and hiking around a waterfall in 45 minutes. Mount Hood is very accessible as well. Oregon beaches are some of the best around, and they are now so much closer. And having Portland 15 minutes away is like a dream come true.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
You might want to check planting zones as well, if you garden. I believe our climate is a little less wet than farther north in WA. I would want to know rainfall and temp averages as a part of my decision.

Vancouver is not a charming city. But it is in a nice setting. The people here are quite nice too.

IMO, you should visit both places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area