Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite of Utah's national parks (posted in alphabetical order)
Arches 11 19.30%
Bryce Canyon 11 19.30%
Canyonlands 6 10.53%
Capitol Reef 4 7.02%
Zion 25 43.86%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:08 PM

28,156 posts, read 30,266,215 times

Advertisements

Utah has five national parks. To the best of my knowledge, there is no state that has more. I'm embarrassed to say that as a native Utahn, I have only been to three of the five, but I've been to those three so many times that I've lost count. I thought it would be fun to do a poll and see what everybody's favorite is and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 12:12 PM

Okay, so I'll start by explaining why Bryce is my favorite (even though Zion and Arches tie for a close second). I think it's partly because of some childhood memories that lay hidden in some corner of my mind -- seriously. When I go to Bryce, I am a child again. I had so many wonderful experiences there growing up that they all just come flooding back when I'm there. I could seriously stand at Sunset Point and look out on the majesty of Bryce for hours without wanting to move. I am speechless every time I see its beauty. I love hiking the Navajo Loop, especially when you start on the shady side where the trail goes back and forth from one side to the other and then, getting to the bottom and looking back up at where you started. I have three favorite places in the world, and all of them are as different from each other as night and day. Bryce Canyon is one of them.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:42 PM

183 posts, read 804,927 times
I'd say the same thing about Zion. It reminds me of my childhood. Before my family moved to Utah, we lived back east and took yearly summer road trips out west. Zion was always on the grande tour. I loved hiking the narrows as a teen too.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:50 PM

4 posts, read 11,993 times
I've visited two of them... Zion and Bryce Canyon and would rate them in that same order.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:59 AM

550 posts, read 2,175,335 times
For the record, Alaska has eight national parks, but Alaska is massive. So five in such a small area (southern Utah) is impressive. Anyway, I'd vote Zion, followed by Arches.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:18 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,351,037 times
I voted for Bryce Canyon. I was 4 when my older sister took me. I remember looking down at all the Hoodoos and the color. I loved the park at sunrise.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:44 PM

57 posts, read 158,415 times
I have visited all 5, but only the Island in the sky section in canyonlands, didn't get to make it to Neddles. All 5 are great, but I would rate like this
1) Bryce
2) Zion
3) Arches
4) Canyonland
5) Capital Reef -- although it is sad to put any one last, because all 5 are great

Old 09-22-2009, 10:08 PM

2,550 posts, read 5,478,213 times
i'm pretty sure that cali has 7 parks, and dozens of monuments and stuff.

either way, i'd say capitol reef is my favorite, though i love them all. one of the things that attracts me to capitol reef is the solitude. especially in the winter. it's almost time again...

Old 09-23-2009, 10:13 PM

This is interesting... Eddie puts Capitol Reef last (with a nice apology) and stycotl puts it first. I'd be interested in a further explanation. I don't even know what Capitol Reef looks like! By the way, guys, you gotta vote in the poll -- especially you, eddie, since you'd be voting for my favorite.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:59 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,757,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I could seriously stand at Sunset Point and look out on the majesty of Bryce for hours without wanting to move. I am speechless every time I see its beauty. .
I can relate to that. I was there in May. Speechless. Didn't want to move, even for the pushy, loud French tourists who crowded & jostled around me. I managed to drown them out because I was in complete awe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I love hiking the Navajo Loop, especially when you start on the shady side where the trail goes back and forth from one side to the other and then, getting to the bottom and looking back up at where you started.
Oh yeah! We were there only a day and had to pick one hike. We picked the Navajo Loop and it was gorgeous. Next time, we're spending 4 or 5 days and seeing it all, including the Navajo Trail again.

The town of Tropic outside of Bryce was just so cute. So neat and pretty with the nicest people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: