Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 06:56 PM

132 posts, read 688,952 times

Advertisements

And yeah, I'm sure I'll have more questions for you the more time goes by.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:25 AM

37 posts, read 209,100 times
Stay out of Ogden if you want low crime, unless maybe you can afford extreme East Ogden. Odgen is scary. The meth capital of the state, maybe the country. Housing is affordable that far north, though. You could probably find what you're looking for right in Clearfield.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:03 PM

75 posts, read 200,207 times
Default Trailrunner1516

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrunner1516 View Post
Stay out of Ogden if you want low crime, unless maybe you can afford extreme East Ogden. Odgen is scary. The meth capital of the state, maybe the country. Housing is affordable that far north, though. You could probably find what you're looking for right in Clearfield.
Trailrunner1516, have you ever lived in Ogden? What first hand experience do you have to back up your dire warning? I did not feel scared while I was in Ogden. I thought the area was beautiful. Which is why I bought a place there. What do you think of all the new developments going on in Ogden? Here's a link in case you're not familiar with what's happening in Ogden -
www.ogdencity.com/mall.main.html (broken link)

Old 01-23-2007, 10:23 PM

Question Some questions for ya...

What's better for keeping the house cool - a swamp cooler or AC (central air)? I don't know anything about swamp coolers, so any info on that is appreciated.

How is the bug situation? Is it at all like the southern desert states? They usually have to do monthly bug spraying, keep an immaculately clean house, and keep food sealed tight. Do you have to do regular spraying? What type of bugs are the main problems or concerns there? Are there fire ants? Hopefully it's not anywhere near as bad w/bugs in North Utah. Hoping your winters help keep that bug population down.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:44 PM

421 posts, read 1,746,338 times
I much prefer a/c. Swamp coolers just make me feel damp. Some people prefer them, however, because they act a bit like a humidifier, and we have very, very dry air here. But I don't find them very comfortable.

The bug situation isn't like the south, although I do have people spray my house for spiders and such. But really, it's not bad at all.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:51 AM

Thumbs up chazcrew

Thanks for getting back w/me on that. Trying to think of any question that comes to mind. So, I'll look at the houses w/ AC. I'm into comfort when it gets hot.

That was GREAT news that it's not as bad w/bugs as the desert South & Southwest. Amen to that! \/

How often do you spray for spiders & bugs, etc.? Do you do the outside yard as well as inside? ARe you talking the regular run of the mill spiders? Thought I better ask as someone on one of these threads probably gave many of us outsiders the heebie jeebies talking about black widows and/or brown recluse. I sure hope they just got their spider types mixed up. I lived down South and they had them, but thank God I never saw them & none of my relatives down there has ever gotten bit by one anyway. PTL! Down South, I did see TONS of bugs I never saw in my life tho'. And we had lizards and scorpions, too.

Sure hope you don't have fire ants. Yuck! Hopefully it's too cold up there for them to ever come to, compared to the lower HOT most of the year Southwest desert areas.

Are you called a desert-mountain region? Seems like a neat combination. I especially love that you have the 4 seasons there! And you're weather is very similar to ours, except that you get LOTS more snow, which my kiddies will absolutely LOVE!! I was in Utah when you had at least a few inches of snow come thru. It came down really fast & heavy, but the beautiful, big type snow flakes that I love to see. And one of my favorite things is that you have a desert type summer w/low humidity!! That's what my doctors have always wanted me to be in, so they're happy about that, too. That sure will be awesome. In our Midwest weather, we look forward so much to Spring & SUMMER coming; but when it comes, it's usually too hot & humid to be outside. Just too wet & sticky out. So, your weather will be a great blessing to us!! Can't wait!

Old 01-24-2007, 10:05 AM

421 posts, read 1,746,338 times
Yeah, run of the mill spiders. Big, ugly ones, but not dangerous. The wolf spiders are what really give me the freaks. We do have black widows, I'm sorry to say, but I have only seen them few times, and they respond to a swiftly-flung shoe the same as any other spider, lol. Where I am, we also get ton of box elder bugs. Harmless, but annoying. If you live near a lake, you will have a LOT of mosquitos, and other insects, so that's one thing to think about. But we don't get the enormous nasties that they have in warmer climates. I have my house sprayed outside, and around the perimeter inside, probably about 4 times a year.

I've never heard of fire ants in this area, but maybe I've just lucked out?

Yes, if it's dry air you want, we've got it. Bring a tub of lotion!

Old 02-05-2007, 07:51 AM

9 posts, read 46,271 times
I think it depends on the zoning of your property. For a plain residential home in a subdivision I think the limit is 3 animials such as dogs and /or cats.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:15 PM

16 posts, read 36,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainfaith View Post
And yeah, I'm sure I'll have more questions for you the more time goes by.
how are you liking the area now did you buy that beautiful house where or you renting how many bed rooms we bought in north ogden about a year ago

Old 10-23-2007, 09:59 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,546,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazcrew View Post
I much prefer a/c. Swamp coolers just make me feel damp. Some people prefer them, however, because they act a bit like a humidifier, and we have very, very dry air here. But I don't find them very comfortable.

The bug situation isn't like the south, although I do have people spray my house for spiders and such. But really, it's not bad at all.
In the arid regions of the West, evaporative (swamp) coolers work great--if they are maintained properly AND the homeowner knows how to use them. With evap the key is to move air through the house and allow it to freely exhaust outside. Restricting that airflow (closing up the house, for example) will cause the inside humidity to skyrocket and compromise the cooler's ability to cool the house. Closing up an evaporatively cooled house is a common mistake made by those used to using mechanical air conditioning.

A well-functioning evaporative cooler can drop the temperature of incoming air up to 30-35 degrees if the outside humidity is low (as it usually is in this part of the country). So, if it's 100 degrees outside, the air coming out of the cooler is likely to be in the 65-70 range.

The biggest advantage of a swamp cooler is going to loom ever larger in the future. First, they cost much less to purchase and install. Maintenance, though certainly required every season, is relatively cheap. But, most of all, they use much less energy--there is only the blower and a small water pump to power--no power-guzzling compressor. I've lived with evap for nearly 50 years (except for a stint in a place that didn't need cooling at all)--I like evap in dry climates. Live where it's humid--yeah, there you need mechanical A/C. Not in most places in the Rocky Mountain West, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah