Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,545 times

Advertisements

We've been imprisoned here for the past 23 years. Is there anything good to say about Utah? Yeah, maybe when the bomb is dropped, it will hit Utah first. First, let me say that we are not LDS, consequently, my children (who are now grown and have moved away)were NEVER invited to birthday parties, etc. after we were asked "what ward do you belong to?" (maybe because I ended my sentences incorrectly) and I said "none". Now, my grandson is going thru the same thing and he is a sweet kid. But then, what grandmom would say her grandson isn't? But, I've watched him looking out the window at the neighbor kids having HUGE parties and then ask me..."Nan, can't you call their mom and ask if I could go to the party?" I told him he'd have as much chance as a black mamba (snake kind)of getting to go, so we both cried together! Oh, how I hate it here, but due to real estate prices, we're stuck.

Don't move to a small town..Salt Lake might be okay, but Nevada would be better because we were all from somewhere else, so everyone was accepted just as we were. No one asks your religion, or your family name or did your relatives come here with a hand cart. Please, escape before you too are stuck here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 06:09 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,975,460 times
I am sorry your experiences have been so horrible. I have lived in Utah for 17 years and have never had a problem like that and neither have my kids. My two dd's have a lot of friends. My oldest is attending a bday party for 2 of her friends tomorrow and my youngest's best friend is LDS and she (and her family) love her to death.

BTW-I live in a small town, although not in UT County. That might have something to do with it. I hate to see all of Utah bashed for the antics of a particular area. For everyone that has a bad experience, there is someone that is having an equally great experience.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:45 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
I am sorry your experiences have been so horrible. I have lived in Utah for 17 years and have never had a problem like that and neither have my kids. My two dd's have a lot of friends. My oldest is attending a bday party for 2 of her friends tomorrow and my youngest's best friend is LDS and she (and her family) love her to death.

BTW-I live in a small town, although not in UT County. That might have something to do with it. I hate to see all of Utah bashed for the antics of a particular area. For everyone that has a bad experience, there is someone that is having an equally great experience.
I would be willing to bet that many of these "evil Utah" stories come from the same one or two people. I notice that most of them are new with one or 2 posts and the writing style always sounds similar.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:40 PM

9 posts, read 26,661 times
Guess I need to add my experience in Utah County. We are non-LDS and have been here a year. I have have 2 daughters ages 10 and 13 and there are days when I wish that they didn't have so many friends Most days I have 2 or 3 extra kids running around (at least now it's nice out so they are in the yard or walking around the neighborhood). There maybe kids who won't be their friends because they aren't LDS but they have plenty of friends so who cares!.
The only thing that drives me nuts about utah county is the fact that so much is closed on sunday, I don't mind the stores, but I wish we could go to the pool, the waterpark or the mini-golf, things like that, on Sunday.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:50 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,601,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by befuddled2102 View Post
.... Can you shed a little light into the diversity of SLC? I appreciate any guidance and/or assistance you give. Stay Blessed Ade
Diversity? Well, I find most people I've interacted with in Salt Lake county to be more tolerable of my lifestyle, lack of religious involvement and my desire to be single & childless. I am a social drinker and at times, I can swear like a sailor. So my view of diversity has to do with acceptance/tolerance rather than anything racial or culture wise.

I also think there is a lot to be said about an outgoing personality. If someone moves to a new area and thinks people should just flock to them and invite them to some social gatherings, they will be disappointed. They might be included, but they can't blame the population as a whole if their social card isn't full. I am very outgoing and I'll talk anyone's ear off. But then again, my move to Salt Lake county was only about a 40 mile distance. It was easy for me to make friends up here.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,080 times
Default Huh

Wow, I am surprised by all the Utah haters in this forum. I grew up in Orem and still live there with my husband and two children. We spent a year in NYC while my husband was in school and would go back in a minute if my husband could find work there. That being said, Orem is not a bad place. I am LDS and I am sometimes irritated by how closeminded and judgmental some LDS people can be. But I think these people are the exception rather than the rule. There are obnoxious judgmental people everywhere. If you are friendly to your neighbors, they will be friendly back. I can't imagine that anyone would look down on you for being a single mother. There isn't much to do in Orem/Provo, but it is safe and the Alpine and Provo school districts both have good schools. You might consider looking in Park City as well as Salt Lake. It has a different feel than Orem/Provo and the schools are excellent.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:25 PM

14 posts, read 24,522 times
I lived in Provo for about 3 years while finishing up my degree at BYU. I found the area amazingly tolerant. Although the statistics give Utah county a high LDS community you would be surprised how many people are not practicing their religion.....enough of that soap box. As far as being a single mom of a wonderful young lady- you shouldn't have any problems- kids there are SUPER social- she will have millions of friends- the schools are safer than most I have seen, but they still have their share of alcohol and teen pregnancy problems. The community has events and social things almost all summer, including a free movie in the park (if they still do it...) I loved Utah so much We are moving our kids back- its a great place for kids!! The only thing I would be "worried" about is you might attract alof of older divorced men- unless thats a plus for you

Old 08-04-2013, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 999 times
It doesn't matter where you lived....just enjoy life n be happy n just get along with everyone else then u make this world a better place to lived....

Old 08-04-2013, 07:44 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,375,171 times
I would try to stay out of Utah county, or at least get as close to SLC as you can. We lucked out in that I am able to home school and I have the most awesome neighbors in the world. Not saying all of Utah County is bad but it can be trying at times. Wherever you chose to go I hope you find happiness and blessings.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:51 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
I see we are still on our crusade here in the Utah forum.

Let me give my counter-perspective, just to try to balance the discussion--though I know I'm vastly outnumbered.

My perspective is from someone who has lived most of the last 38 years in Utah Valley. I've never been part of the mainstream religion... yet... surprise!... I have never been bothered by them; I've never been pressured by them; I've never been hounded by them. I do find the Utah Valley area to be way overpopulated and growing fast. I have been saying this for the past few years, but I'll say it again: I plan on moving to a smaller area. But for someone who just wants a decent place to live, and doesn't mind a population explosion, the area is great.

I think that anyone who is not LDS and does not depend on everyone around them to provide their "social livelihood" would be fine in the area. It has it's benefits. The area is mellower. The area has a lower crime rate. Although it's not apple pie and hot dogs, the area is a bit more like the nation in general used to be. That is changing though, as the area "catches up with the times." (In my view, that's a very sad thing) It used to be a slower pace of life, but that's gone pretty much. Too many people with not a second to spare. They just MUST hurry through their lives as quickly as possible. It's the Interstate Highway Life Syndrome. And it's caught on well in Utah County.

A final note. And I don't care if I offend anyone here, because I couldn't even count the number of times "the regulars" on this Utah forum have offended me with misinformation about the Utah Valley area (for that matter any area in Utah away from SLC). Simply, you could not pay me enough to live in the SLC or Salt Lake Valley proper area. Not even if you told me I had to do nothing, you'd buy me a home, give me a new car, and open a Swiss bank account in my name. I still would not touch the place. To me, the entire valley is a toilet (sorry, but that's the way I see it). It's getting to be a toilet down in Utah Valley as well. But we're not quite up to the 3 gallon quick-flush variety yet. I guess we're still kind of just in the outhouse phase. Seriously, though, I haven't even driven into the Salt Lake Valley for probably two or three years. Horrid place unless you like everything that goes with a metro area and urban sprawl. Nooooooo, thanks! Any future for me in Utah would be a place like East Carbon, Sunnyside, Leamington, or Emery. Places where you can still sleep at night and see the stars if you decide to stay up late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah