Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 13,532 times

Advertisements

I'm certain by now that you have either moved to Roosevelt or you haven't. I am writing this for future inquiries about the area. I have lived here for 20+ years. I am mormon however, not active. You will run into the mormon or not mormon issue anywhere you go in Utah but I would recommend anywhere except the basin!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 05:14 PM

9 posts, read 31,597 times
Default Moving to Vernal /surrounding areas

We too may be moving to Vernal or surrounding areas from Idaho. My problem......i have horses/cows, dogs, cats, etc. Most of which i'm not willing to give up. Which town would best suit me finding a place to rent where i can keep horses? OR are there any Horse boarding facilities in any of these towns? I have 3 kids. All involved in 4-H. How are the 4-H groups around that area? I'm nervous, even though we are used to moving (Hubby is ex-military). I won't go without my horses! ANY info greatly appreciated. Vernal sounds/looks better than Rock Springs, Wy. ~Kaci

Old 08-24-2007, 02:41 PM

212 posts, read 1,076,446 times
Wow, amazing to hear that Vernal and Roosevelt are booming. I was an LDS missionary actually serving in both Roosevelt and Vernal in '94 and '95. Spent 5 mos in Roosevelt and 7 in Vernal. It was my favorite area to serve in. There were lots of people who worked in the oil industry there back then. I still crave some of the food from the local cafes there. I wouldn't get too worried about the whole LDS / non LDS thing there, there is plenty of diversity and I liked most of the LDS people living there more than the LDS folks in the rest of Utah :-)

I miss Duschesne, Myton, Altamont, Dutch John, etc. There are lots of little area to explore there if you are into the outdoors. The gorge is cool too.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:48 PM

2 posts, read 11,037 times
Wink little town of roosevelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Bound View Post
My husband and I are a non-mormon family who may potentially be relocating to the Vernal/Roosevelt area. We do not have any children but do plan on starting a family while in Utah. I have been reading the other discussions in this forum and they all seem to revolve around Salt Lake City and its suburbs. Does anyone have any information about the Vernal/Roosevelt area?

We have visited once over a weekend and it's geologically appealing. However, as has been advised in other discussions, I'd like to do as much research as possible before making a move. It's difficult to get a sense of the area and the social circles from a weekend trip; are there any suggestions on how to get this information without first being immersed in the environment?

What about the housing/apartment situation? What about the job market? Will it be difficult to find a job without the support of the mormon church network?

We have lived in a neighborhood previously with a high mormon population. We found our neighbors to be polite and friendly. Granted, we weren't best friends but it was a pleasant neighborhood. Since we didn't have kids and had plenty of other non-mormon people to socialize with, it wasn't an issue. Will this be an issue in Vernal/Roosevelt?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
OK here is the deal I am LDS and am from Missouri, I have several non LDS friends and the fact that I am LDS really has absolutely no impact on who I can be friends with really. I have only been here for a month and I am waiting for my family to arrive here from Missouri. The person I am renting my house from is LDS and I feel that they are in the wrong just because they have fallin into the same situation as all the rest of the landlords they are being very greedy by charging sooooo much money. Please just remember one thing the whole LDS MORMON issue is only an issue if you make it one, heck I have met members of the church who are snobs and others who are very nice. I do not even ask people if they are members of the church, because it does not matter to me, if they have a poor personality and are being rude then I want nothing to do with them anyway.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,019 times
I lived in Vernal for several years in the 60;s and 70's. We moved there from upstate NY so my father could be one of the only non-LDS ministers in town. It was difficult. I know things have changed some and it is a beautiful town. (I am not fond of Rosevelt) The mountains are exceptional as is the skiing. But it was a bubble. The entire town has been built around a certain ideal and faith. Everything, for the most part, revolves around that. When we were there sports teams like baseball and the like would allow a kid to play and then right before a championship game say he couldnt continue unless he started coming to church. I dont know if that sort of thing still goes on. I would just say this. There are some wonderful people there and I have a fond place in my heart for them but I would not move my family there for any length of time if I was not LDS. Its hard to describe and I know that people who live there do not realize it....but it is like another world.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:31 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
I am LDS and I doubt I would move to Vernal or the Uintah Basin. My experiences are based on conversations I've had, visiting the area a few times, and from comments like the ones on this group.

I think its possible for someone who is non-LDS to fit into an area like this and be relatively happy. I think its more likely that you'll find the community to be insular and stifling. Another issue with moving into small towns is leaving may not be easy particularly in a bad housing market. There are a limited number of people coming and going into areas like these. If you don't like the Uintah Basin it maybe very hard to sell your house and move. You could rent I suppose. However, rental housing maybe limited and you might not like any of the units available.

Think long and carefully about this move and think about the housing issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah