Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 12,038 times

Advertisements

Hello -

I'm a female in my mid 20's looking to move to Park City. I've been out west on numerous occasions - mainly Colorado, though. We finally made it to PC this past Jan., and I fell absolutely in love with the town - people, mountains, activities, main st., etc. I've been wanting to make the move out west, just wasn't exactly sure which place would be the right fit... but I think I've found it.

I guess I'm looking for some information on what PC is like during the spring/summer, as my brother and I will be making the move in a couple of months. What's the best location/area for single people in their early to mid 20's? (we would be renting). Also, what's the job force like? I know there's openings at bars, restaurants, resorts, etc... but anything available that pays salary?

Overall, any advice/information/help - whether good or bad - would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks PC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,113 times
I live in the valley about 45 min from park city. Park city is expensive!! Also there are a lot of seasonal jobs. One of if not the largest employer in the state is the Air Force Base in Layton,UT. Keep in mind that anywhere in the Valley is less than an hour from pretty much anything outdoors you want to do. As for single life, Salt lake has a few colleges and Ogden,UT has Weber State College, so those area's are geared more towards young people.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:36 PM

226 posts, read 567,566 times
This might be a pretty long post in order to get you started on finding out more about Park City. First, let me suggest that you look at the local newspaper (The Park Record) online at Home - The Park Record. You can search the classifieds to see what kinds of jobs there are, and what the pay scales are. You can also search The Park Record for housing. You probably will notice right away that there are not very many apartments. There are a lot of condominiums. At the end of the ski season (around May) there will be more available than there are now. Park City is located in the Snyderville Basin so you will see in the ads the names of neighborhoods or areas that you won't be familiar with. Once you narrow your search down, post another question with the specific neighborhoods and we can describe the pros and cons of the neighborhoods. Outlying towns also advertise in the Park Record so if you call or email on any rentals be sure to ask if they are located in Park City (or at least in Snyderville Basin). Some of the smaller towns around Park City are Heber City, Kamas, Oakley, and Midway. They would be less expensive than Park City, but still close enough for the amenities and entertainment of Park City. Midway is closest, then Heber, then Kamas and Oakley. You really need to make sure that at least one of you has a job lined up before you move because housing is pretty expensive.

A lot of people who first visit Park City in winter, move to Park City because of summer. Summer in Park City is short but wonderful. The temperatures rarely hit 80+ even in July. There are frequent short afternoon thunderstorms, but most of the time the weather is just spectacular. There are just as many outdoor activities in the summer as in the winter. There are extensive mountain bike trails, hiking, alpine slides, fishing etc. etc. There are also quite a few summer festivals. Main Street is great on summer evenings.

If you can give us some more information about your employment background, we can tell you whether or not you might be able to find something similar. You also need to look for jobs in Salt Lake City. It's only about a 30 min. commute and you'd be much more likely to find a salaried job in Salt Lake than in Park City. The majority of jobs in Park City are service industry/ski resort jobs. There are small businesses and some larger retail stores (at an outlet mall) that provide other kinds of jobs.

Most Park City residents are young and very active in all outdoor recreational activities. There are many single people but also a lot of young families. Most of the people who live in Park City are from other cities and states. There are very few native Parkites (that's what they're called) in Park City. So if you move here, you won't have that sense of being "outsiders". Everybody is an outsider.

I can't think of any other critical information that you can't learn from the Park Record, but again, if you have other questions or need information on specific neighborhoods, just post another question.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:30 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,770 times
Welcome to Utah! It is a really great place to live and play. I was a PC resident for 15-16 years and moved down to East Millcreek almost 3 years ago.
First off, do not assume that the bars and restuarants are hiring because they are not. The economy has put the Employer back in the driver seat and they have become quite picky. I would highly recommend lining a job up before you two arrive unless you have a minimum of 5K that will hold you over for a bit.
Massive layoffs in the Spring when all of the ski areas wind down and things really do not get going again until mid-June. I remember when things were dead until 4th of July but the Chamber has done a good job of marketing the off/mud/fall seasons. Wages in Utah overall are low and even more so in the service sector so be prepared to have a job or 3 to maintain any standard of living. The prices in PC have gone down but it can still be pretty spendy.
Most of my younger/single friends want to live in Old Town but few can afford it unless there are 4-5 sharing a condo/home. Let your fingers do the walking on the internet and keep in mind that if you are willing to sign a year long lease, you may get a better deal.
Kimballs Junction has more places for rent and for a few dollars less than PC proper and they also have a night life all their own too at Redstone.
Do your "due diligence" before you decide that PC is for you-I would hate for the first "out west " experience to be a poor one...

Old 02-18-2011, 07:15 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
You'll have to pardon me. However, we get a number of posts on this forum from people that are similar to yours that I'm going to characterize as "wishful dreaming". They typically begin with a statement about how they are tired of living where they currently do and have decided that moving to Utah is the answer to all their woes.

Only later in the post does it come out that they don't have either a job or housing rounded up here yet.

In this economy, its essential you find some kind of employment before making a life-altering decision such as moving out here. There is no guarantee right now that employment will be available. You say you are in your mid-twenties? What job skills do you have? Do you have a degree or a certificate in any field? Are you able to do anything, but unskilled labor? If you move out without job and housing lined up you are asking for trouble.

You are young. Let me give you some advice. Instead of looking for an area that appeals to you for aesthetic or emotional reasons, look instead for an area where you can find decent-paying employment with the particular job skills that you have. Than, save some money up. If you don't have much in the way of skills than use this money to go back to school. Get a degree or certificate in a field with good (or at least decent) job demand. After you have your degree or certificate, go online and look around the country and find the areas where your field is in demand. Apply for a bunch of jobs. Go out and interview for those jobs if you get the chance. Wait until a job is offered you. Than, and only than, move to that area.

If you want to know what the employment picture is like in Utah right now you can take a look at this. Its the website for Utah Workforce Services.

Utah Department of Workforce Services

We have a homeless population in Utah made up of people who made bad decisions in life. Don't become part of it!

Old 02-21-2011, 01:49 PM

Well hello there everyone. I want to thank you for responding so quickly to my post. Your responses were very informative, helpful and gave me some things to consider...

I want to first ensure you that I plan on having a job and housing lined up before taking the plunge. I have been in contact with several rental facilities/owners already regarding places for rent, deals I'm able to work out, etc. I would be looking for a one year lease and I'm not opposed to living with other roommates. My ideal location would of course be Old Town, but I’m not opposed to surrounding areas because renting a small house would be ideal… a great location with easy access to trails, mountains, water is also ideal. So I know I have to weigh my options considerably. I'm also making a second visit out there in March to look around at potential areas, as well as submit applications at possible job locations.

And no worries, markg, you're pardoned... I can tell you that, yes, I have job skills that will be useful is almost any market. I graduated with honors from Ohio University with a degree from E.W. Scripps School of Journalism with a focus in Public Relations; which happens to be one of the top 5 Journalism schools in the country. After graduation I joined the family business. We design and manufacture custom retail merchandising displays and fixtures, as well as provide creative design, printing and fulfillment, warehousing and logistics for our clients. We are a small company, so it wasn't before long that I had my hands on anything and everything from design, web site creation and content management, sales, project management and so on... Pardon my 'boasting,' but ask and you shall receive. And that doesn't include odd jobs in college in the restaurant, retail and non prof industries.

I can appreciate your statement regarding the "wishful thinking," and perhaps a bit of that is applicable to my situation. I live in Cincinnati, OH, where the most activity people do around here is walk/drive to the nearest bar or restaurant to get all sauced and stuffed. I can't apply that stereotype to everyone, however. We have our parks where you will find your runners, joggers and marathon trainers. And downtown Cincinnati is trying to make a comeback... key word there: trying. But it's nothing like the terrain and scenery one can find out west.

In the last five years, I've been to Denver, Boulder, Steamboat, Vail/ Beaver Creek; as well as Nashville, Chicago, Atlanta, Austin and NY... all these places are wonderful and have their pros/cons just like anywhere else. However, nowhere (besides Boulder) has truly captured my heart like PC. In fact, it reminds me a lot of OU, which is located in Athens, OH - A middle-of-nowhere college town with history, culture, music, festivals, Hocking Hills not too far, camp grounds, etc... Only, it's like an ‘upgraded’ version without all the annoying sorority chicks and drunken frat boys (or so I think?)...

So I can promise that I've been doing my research; I've been doing my homework; and I've been doing my due diligence; and I don't think you have to worry about me joining Park City's homeless population.
I've been looking on Craigslist for job and housing postings. Keeping my fingers crossed that something 'pops' up. I can tell you that I'm not necessarily interested in another sales, marketing, PR job at this point in time. What's important to me right now is finding a job I enjoy and that has people I enjoy working with. Needless to say, the family business is not a "fit" for me and it's time I move on to the things I love and enjoy in life. This includes being outdoors/ outdoor activities; writing; reading; helping people; working with kids.

Please excuse the above novel... I was interested in hearing from people who are either in my same situation or who lives/lived in PC, and what he/she could tell me about the town; tips and recommendations; shared experiences; etc. You guys have been a great help so far and I promise to post more specific information/questions once they arise. I'll be sure to give you an update on my March visit as well. Until then, feel free to share anything and everything... about PC that is.

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2011, 05:52 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Hi, Aneleh0985. I'm glad you've found the posts so far to be helpful. It does sound as if you've done your homework. It's just that so many people who want to move to Utah do so with starry-eyed oblivion to the facts. Let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 AM

Thanks, Katzpur! I can understand and appreciate what you're saying about people who move to Utah with the "big eyes." And I hope I don't fall under that category...

I do have the hope that Park City will be what I'm looking for in a future residence - a town/community with an eclectic group of residents; many of which enjoy living a healthy lifestyle and being active; have a sense of appreciation for the splendor of the 'great outdoors' and who takes advantage of the many things it has to offer; a slower-paced/ more relaxed lifestyle where people aren't all-too consumed with material things/ the 'next best thing'/ competition/ etc. - I mean let's be honest, I understand there's a slight extent of this wherever you go; and I know PC is an expensive town. But from my experience, people in PC seem to have an appreciation for the beauty life really has to offer; and enjoying those moments. Most people seem genuine, honest, willing to lend a hand. Now, to clarify, I was out there Jan. 15-22, right as Sundance was starting. So I know my ‘wonderful experience’ was amplified even more by this fact. But I’ve been to “tourist towns” before and was impressed by the number of actual nice people I met – from locals at bars, to store owners and the taxi drivers, everyone was pretty darn cool.

Then there’s the night scene where you're almost guaranteed to meet someone from anywhere around the globe. The music scene seems to be pretty fabulous as well. I used to write the music beat for my college newspaper, so discovering new bands and attending live shows is something I highly enjoy.

I guess one question I have is if Park City tends to be in its own ‘bubble?’ Not oblivious to what’s going on in the world, but not necessarily overly concerned with it?

And of course, if I’m off target with any of my above observations/statements, please feel free to clarify, elaborate, etc.

Thanks guys. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to read my posts and respond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah