Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,041,538 times

Advertisements

Interstate 65/West 38th Street in Indianapolis is 16 lanes wide at one point

I think the widest here in the Fort is only like six lanes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,017,091 times
Ok, SweethomeSanAntonio I think im done with our conversation....You think that San Antonio, and Austin will be in the same CSA within a time period worth talking about ....wrong. Houston's CSA is primarily populated by HOUSTON, and Houston's CSA is populated primarily through Harris County, but the outlying counties which are MUCH denser than the San Antonio - Austin corridor (which is not a CSA, nor will it be in the near future) are inclusive of the CSA. Your facts are all wrong too ie: "The Woodlands is in Harris County" ...lol...WRONG! I have a rental property in The Woodlands and it's Montgomery County my friend. Even Spring which is south of The Woodlands splits the Montgomery\Harris county lines. Fort Bend County which doesn't even have separation in city bounds is over 1/2 a million people now, even Montgomery County is approaching that rapidly and two others over a 1/4 million. Also just to break it down for you there is statistical data for the Houston MSA and not only the CSA. The MSA is 5.6million as you stated, not the CSA. The difference is the CSA includes Matagorda County, and Walker County and is 5.8million. So your CSA theory is also out the window. So if you wanna compare apples to apples go ahead. Houston's MSA <---not CSA, is WAY larger, and has MANY more miles of LARGE freeways unlike the San Antonio MSA. Btw...just to let you know I am a resigned statician who still conducts statistical gathering with the US Census Bureau, and Metrodata meaning all this info your using is what I do for a living. Btw...if you feel like creating a thread called "Which MSA Houston or San Antonio has the largest number of freeways, and largest freeways in size" go right ahead....at least then you can spread the joy of laughter to your argument.

Oh! btw...you may want to re-read the thread you are posting in as well. The OP posted "Cities with the biggest freeways, most freeway lanes" so your argument from square one was all wrong anyway....

Old 01-22-2009, 12:16 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,122,671 times
San Antonio and Austin are already a designated corridor, commuter rail in the near future. The signs are there, it may be 15 years from now, but it's bound to happen. You are right, The Houston MSA is 5.6 million, and the CSA is 5.73 million. The only point i'm getting at is how the S.A-Austin corridor, (3.8 million pop) would be a better comparison in territory size, even if they are not technically a CSA, yet. Anyhow I think it will happen by 2030.

Why do you keep insisting that I am comparing Houston number of lanes, I know the freeways are bigger in Htown. They may be more comprable in total freeway miles. Thats about it.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:40 AM

Im not insisting anything, im replying to the topic of the thread which is "Biggest freeways \ most freeway lanes, and therefore place Houston out of San Antonio's league. Where are you comming up with freeway miles in that topic? I also am comparing the Houston MSA, and the San Antonio MSA freeway miles in order to satisfy your off topic conversation which is still less than the Houston MSA. Im confused with any topic that you would have to compare San Antonio's MSA with the likes of Houston's. The only argument you would have is "miles of freeway" within strictly the city limits of the two that are State or Federaly funded counting out tollways which are freeways, but that can't be what your talking about because in your original quote to me you labeled San Antonio with a population of 2.1million which is not city limits, but rather the San Antonio MSA. As for the "San Antonio - Austin Corridor" which basically means nothing for a long time in terms of an adjoined area I have no idea where that would fit into this conversation, well at least for many years of at which time Houston would probably include the "Golden Triangle Region by", and is not comparable by any means as of today other than "imagination". The argument that Houston's MSA is not comparable to San Antonio's because of square mileage is invalid. Houston's MSA consists of 10 counties, and San Antonio's consists of 8, very comparable other than the fact that San Antonio just has alot of catching up to do.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:41 AM

86 posts, read 341,640 times
I-5 in the seattle metro area has a alot of lanes, for about a 2-3 mile stretch in south seattle/tukwila theres about 9 lanes going each way. also north of downtown seattle its normally 5 lanes, but depending on which way the majority of traffic is going they open up the express lanes which adds 4 more lanes, so it grows to 9 lanes.

but other than that it averages around 5 lanes in the metro area. also, in tacoma, between the tacoma dome and the tacoma mall they re-did the road so it's about 8 lanes each way.

oh and i forgot I-90 east of bellevue has about 6 or 7 lanes going each way for a few miles. and I-405 has about 5 or 6 lanes in certain areas.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:17 PM

Default Definitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Im not insisting anything, im replying to the topic of the thread which is "Biggest freeways \ most freeway lanes, and therefore place Houston out of San Antonio's league. Where are you comming up with freeway miles in that topic? I also am comparing the Houston MSA, and the San Antonio MSA freeway miles in order to satisfy your off topic conversation which is still less than the Houston MSA. Im confused with any topic that you would have to compare San Antonio's MSA with the likes of Houston's. The only argument you would have is "miles of freeway" within strictly the city limits of the two that are State or Federaly funded counting out tollways which are freeways, but that can't be what your talking about because in your original quote to me you labeled San Antonio with a population of 2.1million which is not city limits, but rather the San Antonio MSA. As for the "San Antonio - Austin Corridor" which basically means nothing for a long time in terms of an adjoined area I have no idea where that would fit into this conversation, well at least for many years of at which time Houston would probably include the "Golden Triangle Region by", and is not comparable by any means as of today other than "imagination". The argument that Houston's MSA is not comparable to San Antonio's because of square mileage is invalid. Houston's MSA consists of 10 counties, and San Antonio's consists of 8, very comparable other than the fact that San Antonio just has alot of catching up to do.
Regardless if it's a lil off topic, freeway miles, it's still regarding freeways. San Antonio has a very extensive freeway system, built for a metro the size of Houston. I don't agree when you say San Antonio freeways arent in the same league, because they are. They might not have as much traffic or HOV lanes, or, toll ways, etc.

I can say the same about your mention of metro population. You thought it was a great example why you feel Houston has superior or larger freeways. I brought up the sheer size of S.A's as my example.

Anyhow the center of population is in south central Texas, which is the San Antonio-Austin corridor. The counties to the south of San Antonio are not dense, the high population growth is in the corridor. The nearly 3.8 million people are mostly concentrated within the 6 connecting counties along I-35, in a area much smaller than Houston's 10 county metro. Houston definitely bigger, but, doesn't dwarf the area, the way you make it sound.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:00 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,768,972 times
Toronto has a freeway that has 16 lanes

Old 01-23-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Regardless if it's a lil off topic, freeway miles, it's still regarding freeways. San Antonio has a very extensive freeway system, built for a metro the size of Houston. I don't agree when you say San Antonio freeways arent in the same league, because they are. They might not have as much traffic or HOV lanes, or, toll ways, etc.

I can say the same about your mention of metro population. You thought it was a great example why you feel Houston has superior or larger freeways. I brought up the sheer size of S.A's as my example.

Anyhow the center of population is in south central Texas, which is the San Antonio-Austin corridor. The counties to the south of San Antonio are not dense, the high population growth is in the corridor. The nearly 3.8 million people are mostly concentrated within the 6 connecting counties along I-35, in a area much smaller than Houston's 10 county metro. Houston definitely bigger, but, doesn't dwarf the area, the way you make it sound.
Umm...the Houston MSA does dwarf the San Antonio MSA..... I've said what I have to say and everthing I've said is based on facts. I also gave you clearly stated examples of your inconsistant statements. Once again Austin - San Antonio is not a usable example, and will not be for half a lifetime. I think it's obvious that you can't except that you have no argument so I will decline to have this conversation any further for it is a waste of my time. Feel free to let others know that San Antonio is your choice....lol.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Umm...the Houston MSA does dwarf the San Antonio MSA..... I've said what I have to say and everthing I've said is based on facts. I also gave you clearly stated examples of your inconsistant statements. Once again Austin - San Antonio is not a usable example, and will not be for half a lifetime. I think it's obvious that you can't except that you have no argument so I will decline to have this conversation any further for it is a waste of my time. Feel free to let others know that San Antonio is your choice....lol.
I know the Houston MSA is much larger than S.A. MSA, but, thats not what i'm comparing. I'm comparing it to the Corridor population. Thats where the people are, It may not be a fact right now or designated CSA, but it will eventually be something on that lines one day. Saying it wont happen in our lifetime, half or whatever, is being close minded.
The two cities are more tied together than you think.
It's the next great Metroplex. It may take 20 years, but it's coming.

Miami counts 110 miles of coastline in their Metro, San Antonio, New Braunfels, San Marcos and Austin would be less than that. Right now there is about 250k to 300k people between San Antonio and Austin, just think when that reaches 1 million. New Braunfels and San Marcos are growing very fast.

The facts

*Houston larger metro than S.A.
*San Antonio-Austin Corridor one day a CSA.
* San Antonio and Houston comprable in overall size of freeway network, in terms of freeway miles.

*The SA-Austin Corridor
The Greater Austin - San Antonio Corridor Council
Few links about S.A-Austin Corridor.
Former councilman riding a wave of growth at law firm - San Antonio Business Journal:
“What (former Mayor Henry) Cisneros talked about 20 years ago, it’s happening: The cities of San Antonio and Austin are growing together,” Bannwolf says. “It’s becoming a major metroplex. We already have a strong office on one end.”
Now it’s time to bulk up the San Antonio end of the corridor, he adds.

San Antonio

S.A. Austin rail.
ASA Rail: Austin-San Antonio Intermunicipal Commuter Rail District

Old 01-24-2009, 07:42 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,693,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
San Diego has some massive freeways where there are two in one, basically. So you have 2 sections going one way and 2 going the opposite way. Basically its a freeway with an expressway in the center of the two directions but the express is composed of 2 lanes each, while the freeway itself is made of 5 lanes each direction; giving a total of about 14 lanes in one massive road.

L.A. freeways:

Pictures by KingoftheHill
I Know what you are talking about I Went to San Diego last Summer and i was on the I-15 South Coming from Temecula and they were constructing ExpressLanes or Toll Lanes on both side of the Freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning