Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 06:49 PM

504 posts, read 616,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
No more than 3 travel lanes? Ha. The Capital Beltway has 5 in spots, and it's still a parking lot every day. Same with I-95 in South Florida. If you've got extra-large amounts of traffic, you need extra-large roadways. Transit just isn't going to cut it; while South Florida has little transit, D.C. has an extensive system already.
Just a note because building new roadway capacity and reducing traffic causes more people to drive by going on trips they would have skipped before or using transit instead traffic cannot be reduced by either transit or more road capacity because people will put up with a certain level of congestion and if that does not exist people keep driving till it does exist. If you are interested to learn more there are many studies you can read that explain this more fully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 06:54 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover94 View Post
Just a note because building new roadway capacity and reducing traffic causes more people to drive by going on trips they would have skipped before or using transit instead traffic cannot be reduced by either transit or more road capacity because people will put up with a certain level of congestion and if that does not exist people keep driving till it does exist. If you are interested to learn more there are many studies you can read that explain this more fully.
That's clearly not the case, or roads would be packed all the time everywhere as people drove more and more to reach optimum congestion. It's probably the case that high congestion reduces trips -- that is, people don't do things they want to do because the transportation network is under capacity. Personally I consider that a bad thing. You see "induced demand", I see "unsatisfied demand".

Old 06-10-2013, 09:36 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times
Quote:
No more than 3 travel lanes? Ha. The Capital Beltway has 5 in spots, and it's still a parking lot every day. Same with I-95 in South Florida. If you've got extra-large amounts of traffic, you need extra-large roadways. Transit just isn't going to cut it; while South Florida has little transit, D.C. has an extensive system already. [emphasis added]
Very well put . While transit does help to reduce congestion in major cities, it is not a cure-all, and certainly doesn't help enough to reduce every freeway to 3-4 lanes in each direction. The idea of a hard limit in that regard seems crazy to me.

Quote:
That's clearly not the case, or roads would be packed all the time everywhere as people drove more and more to reach optimum congestion. It's probably the case that high congestion reduces trips -- that is, people don't do things they want to do because the transportation network is under capacity. Personally I consider that a bad thing. You see "induced demand", I see "unsatisfied demand".
You're on a roll today. We've come to the sad point where many people consider the baseline, normal, adequate state of affairs to be heavy congestion, with free-flowing traffic being a deviation, whereas I personally consider free-flowing traffic to be the baseline and congestion to be the deviation.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:40 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,521,960 times
So how does one ensure that baseline without destroying everything around them to accommodate everyone who wants to drive?

I mean to reduce common rush hour congestion how many more lanes would you be willing to add? Five? 50? Are you willing to pay for the acquisition of land to accommodate these?

Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Very well put . While transit does help to reduce congestion in major cities, it is not a cure-all, and certainly doesn't help enough to reduce every freeway to 3-4 lanes in each direction. The idea of a hard limit in that regard seems crazy to me.
It's not conclusive that transit actually reduces traffic congestion or not.

I'm all in favor of more tolls. I have a friend in the Bay Area who does "Casual Carpool" where she waits to get picked up by drivers heading to San Francisco. The reward to the driver, I believe, is that he or she is exempt from the tolls on the Bay Bridge. People would probably change their commuting habits if they were faced with a $10.00 toll each time they traveled into the central city.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
People would probably change their commuting habits if they were faced with a $10.00 toll each time they traveled into the central city.
Yep, that $10.25 (EZPass) - $13.00 (cash) toll on the Hudson River crossings has sure cleared up NYC traffic.

Um, wait, no it hasn't.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Yep, that $10.25 (EZPass) - $13.00 (cash) toll on the Hudson River crossings has sure cleared up NYC traffic.

Um, wait, no it hasn't.
Well, raise it more and eventually it well. It could be priced to fluctuate with demand.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:57 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,553,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
So how does one ensure that baseline without destroying everything around them to accommodate everyone who wants to drive?

I mean to reduce common rush hour congestion how many more lanes would you be willing to add? Five? 50? Are you willing to pay for the acquisition of land to accommodate these?
Good point.

Also It has been shown in many cases, that the more freeways, you build, the more automotive traffic will fill up those new lanes. So in the long run, it only creates more vehicular traffic, and unneeded congestion.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Well, raise it more and eventually it well. It could be priced to fluctuate with demand.
I suppose as you kept raising the prices you might eventually have nothing going in during rush hour but chauffeur-driven limos. There's probably enough of them to cause congestion, though.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
I suppose as you kept raising the prices you might eventually have nothing going in during rush hour but chauffeur-driven limos. There's probably enough of them to cause congestion, though.
Thinking about this deeper, since there's a large enough class of people with lots of money but time constrained, there'd be more demand for limos since now driving into/out Manhattan is practical time-wise. Which would force the prices higher until congestion eventually declines.

I do think the Hudson River connections should be tolled higher at rush hour while the non-Manhattan crossings (which don't have a good alternative to driving for most, so volume would less price responsive) should be tolled lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning