Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:31 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah it is. Im surprised most places dont. Or do they?
Not really. The only places that have something similar to the Metromover would be Jacksonville and Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 05:54 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
DC is not the south people need to stop trying to make it the south there is nothing southern about DC
Some of the architecture is. The White House is just a big Southern plantation mansion.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:21 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
DC is not the south people need to stop trying to make it the south there is nothing southern about DC
I live in DC. I wouldn't be so quick to say this. I don't think it's south but I don't think it's north either. It's a mixture of both.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:31 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Does D.C.'s regional affiliation REALLY matter that much? It has been debated to death...and...who cares?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:34 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,188,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I looked into Miami's transit system awhile back and was really impressed. The only thing keeping me from naming it number one is it's got fewer miles of rail than Atlanta and (surprisingly to me) lower ridership.
Good point, Miami has lower ridership than Atlanta but Miami and Atlanta are the only 2 southern cities with subway systems, all the other cities have "light rail". So I'd go with MIA and ATL.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
South Florida public trasportation is underrated for the SOUTH.
A lot of things in South Florida are underrated on this site.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:36 AM

Miami transit is the most diverse in the south when i say diverse i mean buses, taxi's, subway, tri-rail, and metromover etc. but Atlanta's overall ridership is more than Miami's i believe so its a tossup between those 2.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
^Fewer miles of rapid (transit) rail. But remember, Atlanta (as yet) has no commuter rail as does Miami. And TriRail stretches nearly the entire length of the huge, extremely long Southland metro area. The combo of TriRail, Metro Rail and Metro mover is pretty comprehensive, though not perfect. One big flaw -- no rail or Metro Mover system to dense, Manhattan-like Miami Beach across Miami Bay.
Ive always said that Miami needs to make a Miami Beach Metrorail Station maybe put a stop near South Beach or something...that would definitely increase ridership.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Atlanta probably has the best public transit, but I think Miami comes in a good second, just for its variety and good connections to Downtown Miami. There's the FREE Metromover with 21 stations in Downtown alone, plus Metrorail, Metrobus, and Tri-Rail connecting to Miami's suburbs.

They're also trying to build some more heavy-rail lines north and west of Downtown Miami.
They are also building that Grand Central Station next to the Miami Airport which will serve all public transit options I believe.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:48 AM

The reasons I like Miami's and Atlanta's public transit systems more is because of the rail systems. Both of them are elevated subway systems (Chicago style). While Dallas has the DART and Houston has its light rail line as well I just don't like light rail, the fact that it runs on the same street where cars are passing by and all those above cables and stuff eh not so good. Heavy rail just gives you more of a city feel than light rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning